What did you do to your X1/9 today ?

My X has a battery clamp for the first time in it's life:

View attachment 58920

I think that I was able to confirm that one had never been installed at the factory as the bolt hole threads still had fresh paint on them, and they definitely looked much different after I ran the bolt in and out. As I don't have the tray, I keep the battery wrapped in a heavy duty plastic bag, thus the strange appearance of the white plastic over the battery.
Time to add that tray now :)

Glad it worked out!
Yes, it fit perfectly. Thanks for supplying the excellent part. I cleaned it up with a rotary wire brush and it was good to go. I had planned on painting it originally but it cleaned up so well that I left it as is. I may revisit the decision if it starts to corrode but that area in general has stayed in good shape - must be the battery bag!

There is also a type of mat that can be placed under the battery. It serves two functions; soaks up any battery fluid overflow, and has a treatment to neutralize any acid in that fluid.

Well, after sitting for weeks, I finally got the X back to being operational. The brake job was super easy, as expected- most definitely the easiest I've ever done. Admittedly I only got the front right done, as thats what was keeping it from being drivable. The left front still has quite a bit of pad left, but I will replace them over spring break just to keep the axles the same. I was able to dig up some info on the pads- HB158 is the dimensional standard, and my beloved Hawk HPS 5.0 is avaliable in that compound, so one day I will likely look into sourcing some of those.

I also managed to get the interior back together, more than it has been. I am very impressed with the fitment and durability of the MWB radio blanking plate. The (seemingly) textured build plate they're using on their printer gives the part a nice textured finish. Not one that particularly matches the interior exactly- but much better than generic 3D printed layer lines. I found quite a few unprotected and loose wires behind the dash, seemingly related to the old radio. After wrapping these up and replacing the related fuses that may have blown... the clock no longer turns off whenever the indicators are activated. A clock and indicators simultaneously? That's some fancy living.

I installed mirror today , not much time for anything else we had three 30cm snow storms in a row and another one this weekend 50-60cm ,blower is working hard !!

Attachments

• D849B5DF-E80C-446C-AF45-405993C7F41D.jpeg
    D849B5DF-E80C-446C-AF45-405993C7F41D.jpeg
    213.1 KB · Views: 108
  • 396E1146-C6A4-49A5-AD31-7EAD4336CFF7.jpeg
    396E1146-C6A4-49A5-AD31-7EAD4336CFF7.jpeg
    246.7 KB · Views: 110
  • 4A1A1734-3652-4441-B54D-E37C8BFA934D.jpeg
    4A1A1734-3652-4441-B54D-E37C8BFA934D.jpeg
    231.7 KB · Views: 105
HI , got them on eBay , they were not much , seem to work ok.
They look good. Did they cover over the original mirror mount area and hide and/or use the original factory mounting holes? I still have my original 74 mirror which is showing it's age both on the mirror surface and front side. A passenger side mirror would be a useful upgrade as well.

They look good. Did they cover over the original mirror mount area and hide and/or use the original factory mounting holes? I still have my original 74 mirror which is showing it's age both on the mirror surface and front side. A passenger side mirror would be a useful upgrade as well.
When I did the paint job I welded all the holes, installed mirror where I could see and made new holes ,

Those mirrors are typically referred to as "California's". The original maker now has them made in China. So you can go directly to them through AliExpress for a great price.

I'm curious about the placement. You said you welded the original holes. Do you happen to know how the current location compares to the original one?
I ask because I will be installing some on my X and someone once mentioned they were not able to find a good location for the California mirror without visual interference.

Those mirrors are typically referred to as "California's". The original maker now has them made in China. So you can go directly to them through AliExpress for a great price.

I'm curious about the placement. You said you welded the original holes. Do you happen to know how the current location compares to the original one?
I ask because I will be installing some on my X and someone once mentioned they were not able to find a good location for the California mirror without visual interference.
I am wondering the same thing.

I am wondering the same thing.
I've brought up this question a couple of times....ever since I read on the forum that a couple of people found them not friendly to use (when mounted in the stock location). However each time the response comes back that there were no issues. So I'm thinking they're not as bad as it may have once sounded. But I always appreciate more input. :)

They are not in stock location but close, the mirror glass is just a little , like half inch in front of upright rail of window track , I found from there I could adjust to see good .

They are not in stock location but close, the mirror glass is just a little , like half inch in front of upright rail of window track , I found from there I could adjust to see good .
Thanks.

"half inch in front of upright rail of window track"
So for reference in the pic (below), at the green arrow, the yellow line (mirror glass) is just before the red line upright rail)?
F41D.jpg

That would make sense because I seem to recall the complaint before was with mounting them using the stock holes. The upright channel (red line) was in the line of view. Therefore yours are a little rearward of stock?

Thanks.

"half inch in front of upright rail of window track"
So for reference in the pic (below), at the green arrow, the yellow line (mirror glass) is just before the red line upright rail)?
View attachment 59145

That would make sense because I seem to recall the complaint before was with mounting them using the stock holes. The upright channel (red line) was in the line of view. Therefore yours are a little rearward of stock?
Yes that’s right ,back side of mirror in line with yellow line .

Today LED headlights from Ebay, just the cheap ones. - 'Pair 7inch Round LED Headlights Hi-Lo Beam Projector For Volkswagen Beetle 50-79', they fit perfect and so far work fine.
Horn brackets are twisted from a P.O., straightened those out. Crimping new marker light spade connectors.
Ordered metric machine screw assortment kit to replace all the missing and incorrect sized screws.

Getting ready for summer fun! Valve adjustment and timing belt change. I needed 5 new shims to get to spec. Thank you Dan Sarandrea for your wonderful valve adjust write-up. I followed it to a T. I had a little issue with the valve tool not depressing the bucket down enough to slide the shim out. My remedy was to shape a thin piece of metal into the hook of the tool. This increased the depth the tool pushed down. This hack worked well.

Attachments

• x19 1 31322.JPG
    x19 1 31322.JPG
    175.6 KB · Views: 104
  • x19 2 31322.JPG
    x19 2 31322.JPG
    217 KB · Views: 105
  • x19 tool.JPG
    x19 tool.JPG
    106.6 KB · Views: 111
Back