LED Headlights

I agree that the Holley Retro Brites look bone stock, they even have the old school color temperature. The only downside is they're a lot more expensive than most other's at $400 a pair....šŸ˜¬
They offer two "color" options; one is like the old lights with a slightly 'yellowish' tint, the other is a bright white. But yes, they are very expensive. I bet in about a year you will see other companies offering the same thing at half the price.

Thanks everyone, this is exactly the info I needed. I really like the look of the Holley ones, but $400 is a bit steep. All the wiring has been replaced in the car and all new relays, etc, so power draw should not be a problem. I'll likely go with the ones from MWB, too bad I didn't check in earlier, I just got a shipment from them today, now I'll have to pay shipping again and duties (I'm in Canada). I don't ever plan on driving at night or in the rain, I've also added DRLs to the front of the car so there is always light at the front end. I'll post a pic next week when she comes home. My main purpose is to make sure I'm visible to all the monster SUVs and Trucks that are on the road, the X is a dinky next to all those:)

Hi Willy
I got my leds from Octane Lighting. Large selection of glass bulbs. You can chose your light colour. 3000k to 8000k Hope to see you soon, Don

Next time you're in Woodstock, let me know and I'll shoot down for the afternoon. I still want to go for a ride in your K20!

Hi Willy
I got my leds from Octane Lighting. Large selection of glass bulbs. You can chose your light colour. 3000k to 8000k Hope to see you soon, Don

Which ones did you buy?

No that only applies to the 124 Spider and other Fiats with a sealed bucket behind the bulb. The Spider has a plastic hemisphere behind the bulb so the only air is coming from the front with no way to get out of the bucket.

The X is anything but sealed in the area around the headlight assembly. Vents down low, gaps around the door opening in a high pressure area and a large area of air circulation around the bulb when down. When up there is more air coming in around the door gaps so no, no need to drill holes. Particularly as there is no bucket behind the bulbā€¦
Excellent info, thanks. The MWB replacements look like a solid alternative for lowering amperage

Mine came from octane also but the 3 tabs on the back of the bucket were not in the right orientation!? Had to modify the Fiat bucket to get them straight! Later, replaced the bulbs with Morimoto's because the Octane ones had no real difference between hi and low beam....
IMG_20200830_210319635~2.jpg

Original Halogen on right side(left in pic)
IMG_20200822_181001702~2.jpg

replaced the bulbs with Morimoto's
By the way, the Morimoto lights are the same as the ones sold by Holley. When I first saw them at last year's SEMA show it was at the Morimoto booth and they were not yet available to the market (still in the process of final production development), but were to be released in a couple of months. At that time Holley did not offer them. If I understood correctly Morimoto had arranged to be the importer for these in the US. Apparently Holley has since bought that right from them (?)....not sure how they came to be a Holley item. But the projected price from Morimoto was the same as Holley is now selling them for. And now the Morimoto site now refers to them as "Holley RetroBright" (that wasn't the case back then). So maybe the deal was Morimoto became a distributor under the Holley rights.

will they fit in the X headlight buckets
That is a problem with many aftermarket LED replacement bulbs used in a H4 light housing for the X. Often they have a large portion at the rear of the bulb for the driver. Plus they use a large heat sink of some sort. So all of that is too big for the X's buckets. Those that are small enough to fit may (?) suffer from overheating in the confines of the X's bucket; although the bottom of the buckets are open that still may offer enough heat dissipation for bulbs with smaller heat sinks.

Halogen looks better. LEDs are just intense glares.
Not if the whole assembly was designed as a LED from the start. But simply adding a generic aftermarket LED bulb into a H4 light can definitely create the glare you describe.

That picture is over exposed, the halogens barely illuminated the road at night... They were really dim. This is after rewiring through relays so they receive 12 actual volts..
I think it might also be a matter of what one is accustomed to. For example compared to 'standard' lights halogens appear very bright. But compared to halogens LEDs seem even brighter. So compared to standard bulbs LEDs are extremely bright. However it may also be a function of the temperature and frequency of the light. LEDs tend to have a different feel even compared to the same 'color' of halogens. Either way I think a little time may be needed for someone to adjust to the difference if they're switching to a new style light - whatever it is.

A bit off topic but I'm always amazed at the poor lighting I see on the roadways. I notice lots of oncoming cars with dingy, yellowish, dull headlights and wonder how they can see anything. Even on modern cars with some of the newer styles of lights; if the plastic outer lens is oxidized and hazed then the light doesn't get through. I drove someone else's car that was like that and I felt blind.

A bit off topic but I'm always amazed at the poor lighting I see on the roadways. I notice lots of oncoming cars with dingy, yellowish, dull headlights and wonder how they can see anything. Even on modern cars with some of the newer styles of lights; if the plastic outer lens is oxidized and hazed then the light doesn't get through. I drove someone else's car that was like that and I felt blind.
That's because new cars are disposable... Headlights should be made of glass!

Plus, the ones I got from Octane have a fairly unnoticable Halo when off. I like driving with just the Park lights/Halo at Dusk/Dawn when I don't need headlights but want people to see me... The Halos alone throw out as much light as the old Halogens.....šŸ˜
HaloOff.png
HaloOn.png

Last edited:
Back