24 hours of lemons build and VW VR6 swap.

1000000504.jpg
Fuel cell is done
1000000492.jpg

Throttle pedal shortened (that piece was remade so the pin is straight) to account for the shorter throw of the vr6 throttle.

Clutch is now bled and the range of motion is correct. Using the standard x19 master cylinder and the standard VW slave.

Finished the oil bypass plate with temperature and pressure spots
1000000472.jpg

And it starts! Not shown is all the messing around to get it to run. Coil signal wires had an induced ringing that took a lot of oscilloscoping to track down. Valves are starting to quiet down after heat cycles.

First drive is hopefully this weekend, just need to button some stuff up. Got it up to temperature and it sits at 195 like I'd hoped.

Also our team grew another car
1000000527.jpg

Attachments

• 1000000527.jpg
    1000000527.jpg
    261.2 KB · Views: 30
Last edited:
Expect to this VR6 swapped exxe to be put in class C, followed by LOTs of problems and sorting..
"Murphy was a optimist..."

Be ready,
Bernice

I know. I enjoy it.
LeMons is much about dealing with a self created situation.. Much can be learned from the self created situation..

For those that believe/think LeMons racing is nothing more than crap can satire, do a LeMons race.. Take a LOT more than most realize or can believe to do a LeMons race. IMO, this is real world racing folks and has the absolute ability to bust moto myths in ways no other form of motor sports (Motor racing is a marketing for sales and making brand identity circus) can.

Bernice

I have to disagree with you about LeMons being real world racing. From what I've seen it looks like fun, and a good way to "mix-it-up" with other cars on track, but until you have cars that are somewhat close it terms of performance, I don't think it's racing. Sure there is a lot of work involved, and you have to know a bit about keeping a car running to "stay out on track", but it seems to me that your only competing against yourself in LeMons. Well, that and the funny uniforms and cartoon style cars, the judges, and "penalties", etc.

I think the best way to experience real world racing, on an amateur's level, is to win an SCCA Runoffs race. To win a Runoff's race you've got to have a winning season just to be eligible to start the race (at least in theory). Then you have to compete against some of the best, and most experienced drivers, with some of the best prepped cars out there. The best car/driver doesn't always win, but the folks who do win have achieved something that few do.

Try to win an SCCA Runoffs race sometime. To me at least, that's real world racing.

I have to disagree with you about LeMons being real world racing. From what I've seen it looks like fun, and a good way to "mix-it-up" with other cars on track, but until you have cars that are somewhat close it terms of performance, I don't think it's racing. Sure there is a lot of work involved, and you have to know a bit about keeping a car running to "stay out on track", but it seems to me that your only competing against yourself in LeMons. Well, that and the funny uniforms and cartoon style cars, the judges, and "penalties", etc.

I think the best way to experience real world racing, on an amateur's level, is to win an SCCA Runoffs race. To win a Runoff's race you've got to have a winning season just to be eligible to start the race (at least in theory). Then you have to compete against some of the best, and most experienced drivers, with some of the best prepped cars out there. The best car/driver doesn't always win, but the folks who do win have achieved something that few do.

Try to win an SCCA Runoffs race sometime. To me at least, that's real world racing.
Sounds like this is reserved for rich people. And sounds like you haven't competed in one of these events. It's not competition at a high level, but it's still racing.
:)

You don't even get to a mid level without hundreds of hours of seat time. And that costs a lot of money. And you don't get a competitive car without spending the money either. That's true from SCCA to F1.

Spending money to win isn't appealing to me, which is why grassroots series are what I enjoy.

Last edited:
Sounds like this is reserved for rich people. And sounds like you haven't competed in one of these events. It's not competition at a high level, but it's still racing.
:)

You don't even get to a mid level without hundreds of hours of seat time. And that costs a lot of money. And you don't get a competitive car without spending the money either. That's true from SCCA to F1.

Spending money to win isn't appealing to me, which is why grassroots series are what I enjoy.
You are correct, racing is expensive. Mostly because someone is always willing to spend more money to gain an advantage. I think LeMons probably has rules that are aimed at keeping costs in line, but I think that there are ways to spend more money to gain an advantage, even in LeMons.

I'm not trying to dis LeMons, I'm sure you have fun, and that's the best reason to race, but you really need someone to compete with to be racing. And I'll bet you can find someone to dice with on the track. But there are so many subjective rules, and very little effort to make sure things are equalized in terms of performance potential, that is seems to be more like a track day. And don't get me wrong, track days are great. How do you know if you won?

And you are correct, while I've watched a LeMons type event or two, I have no desire to do endurance type events.

You are correct, racing is expensive. Mostly because someone is always willing to spend more money to gain an advantage. I think LeMons probably has rules that are aimed at keeping costs in line, but I think that there are ways to spend more money to gain an advantage, even in LeMons.

I'm not trying to dis LeMons, I'm sure you have fun, and that's the best reason to race, but you really need someone to compete with to be racing. And I'll bet you can find someone to dice with on the track. But there are so many subjective rules, and very little effort to make sure things are equalized in terms of performance potential, that is seems to be more like a track day. And don't get me wrong, track days are great. How do you know if you won?

And you are correct, while I've watched a LeMons type event or two, I have no desire to do endurance type events.

Some perspective on 24 Hours of LeMons racing after doing LeMons for over a decade...

It is Extremely competitive racing in ways un-appreciated. The field is divided into essentially two groups, the fun-run seekers that are "hobbyist" never been racing before that want to try this road racing stuff. Many cobble up what ever racer they can as they believe will be a good low buck race car, take it to LeMons to discover what racing and endurance racing is all about. They have fun, enjoyable safe time if they are seeking a taste of racing..

The other group is hard core, hard bitten serious racer folks many times doing motor sport as their day job. These folks put together a serious endurance race car based on their day job as motor sport folks along with all their race shop resources and more. These teams have highly experienced drivers and the team fully understands the all the related logistics to run a proper race team and the resources needed to go racing to win. There have been pro drivers at LeMons that have raced at the 24 Hours of LeMans to entire NASCAR teams with drivers, transporter and all fielding a car at LeMons for fun. Gotta ponder why these folks that race as their day job would go LeMons racing...

There have been factory cars from Toyota, GM and others that have used LeMons as a way of testing their wares (notable was the team from Toyota.. believed LeMons would be easy... only to discover how easily their Toyota oily bits exploded under the realties of LeMons racing).. Essentially, LeMons racing can be a silly to as hard core serious as ya want.. with Jay & company ok with all this. Safety requirements are more serious at LeMons than SCCA or similar club racing, this is due to the track time exposure and the fact stuff including farming happens plenty and the speeds involved are no slow.

Once the track is cold, is when the real fun begins..
Highly recommended to do a LeMons event/race then decide.. watching is not the same as being deeply involved.

As for SCCA, IMO, their time has passed. There was a time when John Bishop altered SCCA to be a promo race series ala Trans-AM and more, SCCA events were well attended and their promo-marketing value was notable. That era has passed and long gone.

Spec Miata was intended to be low cost racing, yet the cost to make a Nationally competitive Spec Miata is well over $50,000 U$D due to how the rules are written. Most notable example of this was the Spec Miata nationals at Laguna Seca 2014 where the first six finishers were "dis-qualified"? for "tech"... Meh... and example of SCCA rules/politics.

Rules of racing are specifically written to benefit a specific sponsor (follow the $) and how the rules are interpreted. Notable recent film drama example was the Lancia -vs- Audi movie...

As for winning, why bother.. Unless you're paid by the manufacture with full tech and more support there is little if any reasons to run a production based car. All of production based racing is much about brand identity creation and marketing.. "Win on Sunday, Sell on Monday" applies here.
As previously mentioned and posted, what if Fiat was hard core serious about racing the exxe and put all of Abarth's resources with world class drivers driven to win at any cost.. It is highly likely wining the world championships and not squashing the development of the exxe would have alter the market identity and value of the exxe today..

Essentially, go racing. Sensible would be Spec Racer Ford or vintage racing.

Racing no longer "improves the breed"... much of modern motorsports specific cars are so specialized and removed from any production based oily bits.. they are only body shape and dimensions at best.. There is an entire tech and supplier base specific to the needs of motor sports completely removed from vast production passenger cars..

Add to this, most folks today are interested in EVs, data connectivity, and little about "performance" except for straight line acceleration, oh the moto cannot fail and be totally reliable with the running bits cover welded shut.

Bernice

Last edited:
Example..

Eye sore Racing's Miata..

Easily out lap, out pace, out last any.. any Spec Miata..
Dave Coleman chassis engineer for Mazda USA, other members of the team are engineers at Garrett Air Research..

They are not the only team with a well sorted Miata, neighbor turns out to be a LeMons racer, their Miata looks a bit better, yet has all the known
problem areas properly addressed to prevent endurance racing death common to all Miata's not properly prepped and built for endurance racing.

Two of our drives have raced wheel to wheel with them on track in the rotary powered exxe (dicing). The rotor powered exxe gobbles a LOT more fuel than the turbo Mazda four.. Essentially equal in performance, the exxe can never win due to fuel consumption.
These examples of LeMons racers can post lap times better than many six figure two seaters.. and they can be abused in ways that will bust
the six figure moto status moto..

Always wondered what might happen if some one LeMons raced a current Ferrari, Lambo, McLaren, Porsche and similar.. Very sure Jay and company would welcome and greatly enjoy this.

Bernice

I have to disagree with you about LeMons being real world racing. From what I've seen it looks like fun, and a good way to "mix-it-up" with other cars on track, but until you have cars that are somewhat close it terms of performance, I don't think it's racing.

I have to agree with this. What makes it even less "real world racing" are the ridiculous arbitrary penalties they can apply to cars on a whim and the silly gimmicks involved. A cool event and a great way to get track time but it's not actually a real race.
You probably wont find cheaper laps though.

Since we've gone way off topic already. I don't recall what it is called off hand but there is a similar format of 'endurance' races with vehicle cost limits, an assortment of classes to try and even things out, and low entry fees. But without all the antics and silly gags that Lemons has. It is more about what I'd call racing than fooling around. And of course there are more casual, short-distance events such as "HPDE" and "track days".

Since we've gone way off topic already. I don't recall what it is called off hand but there is a similar format of 'endurance' races with vehicle cost limits, an assortment of classes to try and even things out, and low entry fees. But without all the antics and silly gags that Lemons has. It is more about what I'd call racing than fooling around. And of course there are more casual, short-distance events such as "HPDE" and "track days".
Luck Dog and Champ Car are the alternative series. They each have their own set of challenges around classing cars. I'm not up to date on the rules but it's likely that this build would not be able to compete in any real class as it's had an engine swap. But you're sure as hell not going to be able to compete with a stock X1/9. You'll need either an E36, Miata or C5 if you actually want to compete, and that's boring IMO.

So imo it's not as simple as just "not being arbitrary". The rules around classes really mean there are very few ways to win. Lemons doesn't even try, and I enjoy the simplicity there. Like Bernice said, it's mostly a prep and logistics challenge (and that's true of *all* endurance racing), not about speed, and the lap counter doesn't lie at the end of the race. If you end up doing 100 laps in a miata, then it sucks to suck.

What is "real racing"... ?

What is the goal of motorsports?
Has the rational/ reasons for motorsports changed from the earliest days (1900's) to today?

As for rules, rules are inherently arbitrary with politics involved. Rules should be questioned as to why the rules were made, who the rules favor and how the rules are "enforced".. Keep in mind, any system or rules/law can and will be gamed by those most able to game that system.

SO, if ya wanna make motorsports worthy, question the rules..

The modern race car is designed by computer simulator with driver,

many months are spent with the contract driver in a simulator to figure out what works best based on the "rules", driver abilities, tracks and events in the specific series. Once enough data has been acquired, the car is built (typically a few months from scratch), then real world testing begins to compare simulator data -vs- real world data followed by adjustments as needed. Key to all this is rule reading and figuring out how to best exploit the loop holes built into all system of rules.

As for the ultimate uber performance race series.. the "rules" would be extremely simple.

~Identical tires for all.
~Identical fuel and fuel amount for all.
~Min weight including the driver and fuel load for all.
~Fixed event distance.

Anything else goes.

There was a race series decades ago based in identical vehicles, IROC and others followed.
Episode of IROC from 1974, All cars in this even are "identically" prepared Porsche 911s. This was part of how Rodger Penske & Mark Donahue
did marketing and public relations to make a brand identity for Porsche ... back in the days when Porsche was just beginning to gain a brand name and identity in the US of A.

BMW M1 "Pro Car" series, 1979..

BMW management did not like what Jochen Neerpasch.. did with the M1.

They were not so popular.
What fans wanted was to watch their fave brand win.. or tribalism. Drivers were part of that drama..

As for drivers, world class drivers are from another "planet".. Lewis Hamilton..

Sterling Moss:

Notable is the facial reaction of Chris Harris (moto writer) being driven around by real world class rally drivers..

~LeMons has a class specifically for moto folks~

One of the all time faves... Richard Hamilton "driving" a F1 car..

Bernice

Last edited:
Quite a lot of "real "racing in mindlessly dull. Including F1... [these days] Why, well the marketing people want close racing [as do we all] but they achieve it by closing out creativity = no engineering. Just a bunch of taxis running around - yeah different colours but meh. Once upon a time, a series would go to various tracks during a season and some car/drivers would be good on some tracks and others on other tracks and there would be technical innovation and cars were actually different from each other. Nowadays? One Make and silhouette rules ruin a lot of racing and guess what? The actual races are dull. Turns out that if all the cars are the same, then overtaking becomes very rare [no variable strengths and weaknesses] and contact becomes normal. The more tightly you control the rules to improve racing the duller it gets.

But, any racing where you personally are driving is real [boom]

Back