Quick rack steering

abarthstef

Low Mileage
Hello, could anyone tell me of a company that sells a quick rack for an X1/9, or a way of modifying the standard steering rack to make it quicker?
many thanks,
stef

if only one of our vendors would step in...

I'd be the second to buy right after you. The X's steering does feel really slow...nothing like my G35 which has instant reaction steering.

The cheapest and easiest solution...

Is to get a smaller steering wheel. The 13" original wheel is too big, get an 11" and you'll notice a nice improvement. My 9" wheel makes the steering VERY tight.

So smaller is better? I'll have to figure out how to retrofit this to work.
77081_main

Ok...I have to know

what X's came with a 13" steering wheel? My last three X's I pick up a spider hub so I can mount a 13" wheel so my legs with aftermarket seats fit.

Quick rack

Hello, could anyone tell me of a company that sells a quick rack for an X1/9, or a way of modifying the standard steering rack to make it quicker?
many thanks,
stef

Hi, I'm new here but very interested in a quick rack too for my 79 1500, have you made any more progress?

My x1/9 currently has a standard 13" steering wheel but I do have a boss and smaller wheel, so may be I should try that first. I also have a spare new boss and a used Mountney 3 spoke leather steering (grey) I'm unsure of the size but would be happy to sell.

How about a steering 'quickener'??

Here is a budget oriented idea that might work... There are 'steering quickeners' available. Basically they are like a 'overdrive' for your steering shaft! (Or you could use them the other way to slow your steering way way down!!!)

They mount 'in line' on the steering shaft between the steering wheel and the steering rack. The only problem I see with them is they all seem to be pretty severe... like a 2:1 ratio, or 1.5:1. I'm sure the 2:1 ratio would be psycho fast... too much for the street... Sounds like a dirt track circle racers dream though!

The cool thing... they aren't very expensive at all. $90 to $150 U.S. Dollars for one at Speedway motors. For $95 it sounds like it might be worth a try if someone really wants to quicken up their steering significantly without having to break the bank! Of course the final cost would be a bit more as you'd have some fabrication cost, additional universal joints, etc. But it sure wouldn't be $1000!!!!

http://www.speedwaymotors.com/ProductSummary.aspx?free_text|7/3/2010%203:57:24%20AM=steering&deptId=0&free_text|7/3/2010%203:57:57%20AM=quickener

If that link doesn't work, just go to speedway motors website and search steering quickener. And I'm sure there are other brands and sites available... this is just the first I dug up. Looks like a viable option to me. A 50% ratio increase with sticky tires might be a good workout at parking lot speeds though! 1.5 would give you about 2 turns lock to lock on a X1/9! And the 2:1 box would result in just a turn and a half!

Wow!! Thats go-kart quick right there!

91032203_F.jpg

And here is a picture of one installed on a car...

howe.jpg

i'll try the smaller wheel. with the door bar of the roll cage, the bucket seat and the roof is bolted on now, it's like doing a contourtionist trick getting in and out so a smaller wheel will help with that too.
cheers

If you are racing the thing...

i'll try the smaller wheel. with the door bar of the roll cage, the bucket seat and the roof is bolted on now, it's like doing a contourtionist trick getting in and out so a smaller wheel will help with that too.
cheers

You ought to seriously consider a quick-remove steering wheel hub. You don't want to get a leg stuck under the steering wheel when you need to get out in a hurry (especially if a hard impact has "relocated" the steering wheel for you). I can yank mine off and throw it to the passenger side floor in less than a second. Makes entry much easier too.

Pete

You will be amazed at what even a 13 inch wheel...

... will do.

I betcha a 12, 10, or 9 might work as well especially at speed!

Let us know what ya think!

Can't argue with that logic... one of my favorite things about my buddy's old 71 MGB is the feel of the nice leather wrapped smallish diameter wheel he has on her.

Thanks a quickener might be an option but would prefer a rack

http://www.quaife.co.uk/catalogue/search/results/taxonomy%3A623

Found quaife in the UK make quick racks, not specifically for the x1/9 but i'm sure they could! looking at the prices for what they have listed I am hoping I could get one made for £100 - 150 ($150 -230), but might need to have a few done to make it worth the tooling costs. Interested abarthstef?

Those interested in twin 40 dcnf conversions might like this link http://www.dellorto.co.uk/merchandise/large_image.asp?PartID=6145

a removeable wheel hub was next on the list so the smaller wheel can be put on at the same time. i have to fined a hub that doesn't bring the wheel much close towards me. because of the roll cage the seat can't be mounted right up against the bulkhead. it one of the reasons i need a quick rack. if your going round a hairpin/tight corner, especially if the back starts to slide, there isn't much room to be twirling your arms about and i seem to get in my own way. i think its worth getting in touch with quaife but they are know to be frightening expensive for somethings. they might need to make a few to bring the cost down.

Ratio

I have a 20% quicker (ratio 1.2) rack in my car (used to be available for motorsport use - not anymore). I would not go quicker than that!
With a 13" steering wheel, steering forces sometimes become quite high. This is not only a matter of getting a workout, but also one of car control. If the steering kicks back and momentarily overpowers you, you may not be able to "catch" the car when you need to. With the 1.2 ratio this is not yet the case, but I am sure it would be with some of the higher ratios.

You can get a sense of the steering action in some of my videos.
http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=tubelix1

I have a 20% quicker (ratio 1.2) rack in my car (used to be available for motorsport use - not anymore). I would not go quicker than that!
With a 13" steering wheel, steering forces sometimes become quite high. This is not only a matter of getting a workout, but also one of car control. If the steering kicks back and momentarily overpowers you, you may not be able to "catch" the car when you need to. With the 1.2 ratio this is not yet the case, but I am sure it would be with some of the higher ratios.

I sort of feared even the 1.5 ratio would be pretty shocking in a street car. I'm sure these quickeners are for circle track racing applications.

Thanks for the input and video link!

the Nordschlife looked fun! just lost an hour looking at those videos. i've been in touch with quaife and they'd need to make at least 20 to make it worth their while. how many people are seriously interested? i'll leave a post on a few more forums and see if i can get 20 together.
cheers

I agree with Ulix et al that a faster ratio (or a smaller wheel) will be quite hard to turn
How about finding a suitable power steering system on the scrap yard and adapting it to the X?
I'm thinking you could drive the servo pump with an electric motor.
Since you're in the UK, I know the steering on the Alfa 156 Selespeed (don't know about the vanilla version) is very quick.

Back