Using a multi meter to figure out what lighting circuit wiring is what

tdskip

True Classic
Hi guys-hope everybody's having a good week. My car has had one very haphazard respray, and then a more careful recent one, but both of those managed to get paint on the headlight wiring harness. I've cleaned it as best I can, and have headlights at work, but the headlight motors and relays do not appear to be working properly - I say this because they don't go up or down , which is a pretty good sign of them not working properly. Grin.

Is there a way using a multi meter I can figure out which wire is which and then mark them to allow for proper connection?

Thanks!

You could I suppose but it seems like overkill. Are you saying the entire wiring harness is painted? Why not just scrape and mark each one then plug everything up and give it a whirl. Looking at some of your other posts you lack confidence in just about the whole system, at least questioning the viability of your relays. Without knowing them to be operational you won't be able to glean anything from your efforts with a multimeter.
Good luck,
Regards

Last edited:
I haven't tried scraping the paint off with a razor blade yet, in fact that didn't occur to me. I gave up when repeated lacquer thinner didn't work. Let me try that and see if it works.

Thanks for the idea!

Back