Terminology question

Dr.Jeff

True Classic
I really do not participate in much internet activity like forums (aside from this one) and blogs. But lately I've noticed the use of an expression that I don't get. The intended meaning is clear from its context, but the actual origin or root of the expression escapes me: "E36 M3". While the true meaning of E36 M3 is obvious, it is being used as a derogatory expression, like f**ked or crap. Does the internet community consider that model to be so bad that the name now means "****"? Or is there another link I'm not aware of? I thought maybe it was like some of the texting language or customized license plates where things are abbreviated, or letters and numerals are used interchangeably, or a phonetical use of them. But none of that makes sense to me in this case. Can anyone enlighten me?

Doc, on the grassroots motorsports forum they have auto substitutions for certain curse or off color words.

Sh*t is changed to E36 M3 as they feel the BMW E36 M3 is THE sh*t, not a piece of it.

Not sure if this is the context you read it in.

Not sure if this is the context you read it in.
Mike, now that you mention it that is exactly where I keep seeing it used. I subscribe to their email newsletters (stopped getting the magazines years ago due to insufficient time to read them). And once in awhile I click on a story to read more. I hadn't realized that is the only place I see it but I guess it is (thanks for pointing that out). That expression keeps popping up everywhere in their stuff. Funny because if you were to ask me I would have said that must mean it implies the car is ****, not that it is "the ****". Guess I'm getting old if I don't understand the lingo anymore. Thank you for describing it for me. Makes a lot more sense.

I could never like that car much less love it, easily the least attractive 3 series. I know they are good cars from a mechanical perspective and they don’t suffer the cracked trunk floor issue of the E46 from the an under engineered structure being work hardened by the rear suspension flexing it.

Back