$1.50 clock for late model X1/9's....

Espritblue

over x'd
OK, so have been spending last few months resurrecting 5 x1/9's that have been rotting for many years. Collected a box of 8 Vegliaflash clocks, more than enough for all 5 cars. well, over last 4 months, three that worked, no longer work, and one other reports time in an alien language I do not understand. Only had enough 7 seg. LED digits and driver chips for the repair of two units. I have panel blank inserts, but would be nice to have working clocks, but don't want to pay for a new or used working (for how long?) unit.

What if you went to, say Dollar Tree, and purchased a large LCD watch. Then collected some sheet PVC plastic remnants from Tap Plastics for a few cents. Scavenge some small screws (2) and black paint, cement, plastic model filler and an unjustifiable amount of time.

First the materials.
RPufL.jpg

Fabricate the plastic and metal parts.
sXRRv.png

Cut metal back clip, drill, assemble PVC parts and paint.
RXuMl.jpg

Put it all together.
zHp3P.jpg

WDXZ1.jpg

xr8jr.jpg

Snap it into the panel.
zRBSI.jpg

And that's a wrap. Works great. Was concerned that the small digit size would make it difficult to see time, but with so little distance from driver to panel, it is quite clear even with my old failing eyes. Next, I'm adding LED lighting. Next trip to Tap Plastics, I'll get some RTV mold and casting supplies. If I can mold the part rather than build up from PVC sheets, duplication will be easy.

Steve K

Neat

Great work. What are the two buttons to set the watch, I mean did you make them or did they come from the watch or used buttons off something else?

Too bad you can't readily find the 80's watches with the red number displays. This would make it look more like stock and you can see the time in the dark.

I would be interested in your LED project. Please do keep us informes.

Thanks for the tip.

Don't let Bob Brown see this!

HA!

Great work Steve...

If you haven't contacted Bob yet... I dunno, but he might be able to fix the broken originals... You certainly have a great alternative solution though...

I just feel you paid 50 cents too much for the watch!

Don't you have 99 Cent Stores up there??? HAHAHAHA!

Well, $1 for the watch...

$0.50 is for the "other" stuff, such as plastic, glue etc., etc., etc., (sorry, went Yul Brynner on you). Of course, I work very cheap, about $0.02 per hour....total labor cost $0.12..yeah, I work slow...but what do you expect for two cents an hour.

Steve K

Buttons are fabricated...

From a styrene tube stock and piece of sprue from a plastic model kit. If I can get the required tolerances out of a PVC mold, I can manufacture both buttons and housing from resin. Other than continued need to re-bend the contacts on the clock module, build time reduce to simple assembly, as resin can be colored black.

Steve K

Steve I have enough RTV mold making supplies to do that, it will go bad in 6 mos anyway. just get the resin, I have the mold release.

Just made my first mold yesterday. Making 80 shore A high temp silicone motor mounts for a rotary.

Edit: get some modeling clay also for holding things in the mold making process.

Ah... so you have been padding the bill...

with unjustified profits...

Its guys like you that cause all these sit-in revolts at our City Halls!

(Ya know... for a SoCal-er... I can't fathom what it must be like to be deluged with so much rain... and snow and stuff. Its what makes B. Brown the man he is also... HA!)

Once you study Frugality 101 from Papa Tony,

there's no limit to what you can do to restore a lost function that looks great and cost you next to nothing. I think we should get Tony to put all his suggestions over history into a book he could sell to all Xweb members for 99 cents. Everybody else, $25.00.

Mike

Back