124 spider battery question

EricH

Eric Hamilton
1985 124 Spider, 2.0 fuel injected car. What is the stock location for the battery and what type is it?

(Asking for someone I know who is trying to bring one back to life)

I think on the very last spiders, the battery was moved to the passenger fender in the trunk. Early spiders went in the engine bay. I think about 75 they went into the trunk. Front and center. Then to the right fender in the trunk.

I think on the very last spiders, the battery was moved to the passenger fender in the trunk. Early spiders went in the engine bay. I think about 75 they went into the trunk. Front and center. Then to the right fender in the trunk.

That sounds right... The first thing that confused me about this spider is that the battery was under the right fender in the trunk, and I was sure that my father's 1800 wasn't that way.

So next question: What's the battery type? It's not the 34 series that fits the X1/9 and the earlier spiders.

Should be able to look it up at any battery supplier. i use a smaller battery in my spider. Its for an Acura Integra. Saves weight and works just fine.

My recollection is 24F is the correct battery for nearly all US Fiats of that era. The late Spiders I am less sure of.

Karl

Should be able to look it up at any battery supplier.

You'd think so, wouldn't you? But all the ones that I've found so far, the fitment table either runs out with the '83 model year (before the battery moved to the under-fender position in the rear trunk) or says it's a 24-series battery which is right before '83 but doesn't work in the under-fender position.

I would use a sealed battery, similar to the ones for a Miata.

Measure the size of the base and then go down to Batteries Plus or similar to find what will fit. You may need to add some plastic blocks to hold the base in place assuming the new one is smaller than the original

Back