128 no spark

Lineman768

Low Mileage
I replaced wires plugs, rotor ,new cap coming,replaced coil,points look good. have 12 v coming from ignition,12 volts to dist,but no spark anybody with any ideas?I am stumped I do have new points coming.
:sigh: any help from the fiat guys would be appreciated. thanks Lee

a test...

Using a 12v test light, check for power at the (+) or (15) side of the coil. The light should stay on while the engine is cranking. Now test the other terminal, the (-) or (1) terminal. This should also light up, but flash when the engine is cranking. If it doesn't flash, the points aren't working.

If the condenser is bad, it can ground the points and the light won't flash, and the coil will not work. Usually the points and condenser are replaced as a set.

When you say "no spark" have you actually removed a plug and held it to the engine to look for a spark at the plug electrodes, or do you mean it doesn't start?

I get 12volts on both sides on the secondary side of the coil (1 and 15),but I didnt notice If it dropped (voltage) on the dist. side of the coil. Ill check it again and see.I really appreciate you responding to my thread.thank you! I just found this one owner 77 128 car here in kalispell, mt.This car is kind of growing on me.This is my first Fiat Ive owned. No rust,one owner car bought right here in kalispell.Perfect interior,and exterior Ill post pics after I get it running. I guess you would call it a barn find. Ill do some more testing and get back to you.Thanks again.Lee

I read your reply post again and realised I did not answer the second ? you asked. Yes I did remove the spark plug,and held it to a ground.thanks for checking. Lee

You might like to try posting in the 128 area of the forum, or have our moderator move this to the FWD forum where more people with your exact car can assist you.

I know this suggestion is obvious beyond compare but have you ensured there is actually a gap at the points? Either there is no gap, too much or the gap is so small that the iffy condenser is not allowing the spark to jump the small gap.

Another stupid question, is the black wire leading to the points constantly grounded? Given the age of the plastic insulator they often are more than a trifle broken down such that it is allowing the wire to ground out or the stud to ground out thus never causing a spark to be generated.

I would definitely get a new condenser as they are the black art of a points ignition system, which has caused more consternation than any other single part in my experience.

Moved from X1/20 page to FWD page

I've been frustrated by points ignitions before so be comforted it's not just you.

Sorry I was in no way intending to chastise you for posting in the 'wrong' forum, around here its no big deal unlike some places.

I just wanted you to get the info you need from the people who can best help you. Plenty of experience in the FWD forum from some other active users.

So how has it turned out? Is it running properly now? If so what was the solution that worked for you?

Most sohc distributors (S135 marelli variants) have a small bolt that passes thru a couple of plastic isolators where the low tension wire (the 12v wire from the coil) passes thru the distributor body.

VERY COMMON issue after replacing points/condensor is the small bolt doesn't quite sit right as it goes thru the spacers and the low tension goes down to earth, no spark at the points = no start.

SteveC

Back