128 with a sunroof

Brett

True Classic
Someday, I will have a 128 I'm pretty sure. Love the classic box look of the sedans. I keep my eye out for possibles... even though I am no where near ready to take on a project, I worry about finding one when the time is right...
Found this one in Denver:
http://denver.craigslist.org/cto/4244383396.html
looks like it has a lot of potential.
I've never heard of a 128 with a sunroof though. Anyone else heard of this?

Another one for sale

In case anyone hadn't seen this one:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/171195287752?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649
I'm not sure if I'd want a wagon, but maybe. No idea what the reserve is, but looks like another solid car to restore... I emailed the seller and got this response:
History: Car belonged to a family friend that sold it to me. Its been in Sacramento its whole life.
Running: It was running like drivable not on freeway, but it ran. i think it needs its sparkplugs cleaned. Not sure i'm no mechanic. Stopped running doesn't turn over.
Dash condition better than i've seen most of these cars. Rust very minimal to non. i'm not sure i've personally seen rust on the car. Any more questions feel free to ask! Thank You!

Re: Sunroof

Found this one in Denver:
http://denver.craigslist.org/cto/4244383396.html
looks like it has a lot of potential.

Most of the sunroof-equipped 128's I've seen were a dealer-optional or aftermarket add-on. My dad's old '74 128 2-dr had the stock steel roof, which he later added a sunroof to. It was a sliding-cassette type solid roof with a black vinyl/plastic exterior, made by a small sunroof design company in Long Beach, CA. It worked great & lasted for many years w/out any major issues or leaks.

You can just barely see the rear corner of it in this old pic, circa 1980-ish?:

I've often thought of adding a sunroof to my 128 Wagon, but only if I could find that same model as used on my dads old 128. :)

I had a silver 75 or 76 sedan that had a metal sliding sunroof that was crank operated. I always thought it was factory. I installed a glass after market sun roof in my yellow 75.

I'd go for a wagon like that hands down over a 4 door box!

Early 90's there was a 124 wagon in the junk yard, super straight all the glass, really nice car but they wouldn't sell it to me.

Most of the sunroof-equipped 128's I've seen were a dealer-optional or aftermarket add-on. My dad's old '74 128 2-dr had the stock steel roof, which he later added a sunroof to. It was a sliding-cassette type solid roof with a black vinyl/plastic exterior, made by a small sunroof design company in Long Beach, CA. It worked great & lasted for many years w/out any major issues or leaks.

You can just barely see the rear corner of it in this old pic, circa 1980-ish?:

I've often thought of adding a sunroof to my 128 Wagon, but only if I could find that same model as used on my dads old 128. :)

Wow Jeff that 128 looks fully accesorized!!....super cool!!

Worth saving picture for posterity...

I like that...light from above.
sunroof_zps610d7865.jpg

The sunroof looks like it is a Webasto. They are a 100yr old German company that specialize in after market sunroofs. Their products are very well made. I had one in a 128 that I use to own, it was just like the type that Jeff Stich described. It worked very well. Their new products are similar but include power options.

Mine had a sunroof just like the white one and looked just like the green one on Craig's List except it was orange. I think I paid $300 for it. The sunroof was cool but leaked and really couldn't be made not to.

Back