128SL rear side window latches

kco2949785

Daily Driver
20210505_143552.jpg
Having problems with the rear side window latch glued to the window. I've tried several brands of rear view mirror adhesive and none of them work. Any ideas on fixing this common problem? I remember it was a problem on my 1974 128SL I owned in the 1970's. There is a listing for new windows on ebay in Italy that have a hole in the glass where the mounting pad is glued. With those windows a Fiat 131 latch set-up can be used but unfortunately they're over 300 euro each! Chris Obert sells a clip that appears to go over the glass to replace the glued pad but I can't figure out how it works. Chris didn't know either how it works.
Any ideas on fixing the latches? Do automotive glass shops still custom make side glass. Can a hole be drilled in the custom glass and then have the glass tempered? Any one know how to make those clips work?
Thanks in advance for any replies, Ken
20210505_143531.jpg
20210505_143552.jpg20210505_143531.jpg

The 124 Spider crowd has the same problem with the front vent windows. Some have had luck with JB Weld.

If it's flat glass, any decent glass place should be able to make those out of tempered glass with a hole....
I would try drilling a smaller hole through it with a diamond bit and water. Then drill and tap the glue on mount for a screw... Use a rubber washer on both sides...
Below is a titanium disc brake bolt.. Nice flat head with a shoulder for the glass thickness + it will never corrode! You can also get them in black..

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210506-103133~2.png
    Screenshot_20210506-103133~2.png
    925.3 KB · Views: 107
Last edited:
Hi Ken,
I've just been through this on my resto project. JB weld worked well, but ultimately the solution was to move the mounting rearward so there's less tension on the adhesive when it's in the closed position. I've installed new rubber seals which have a good amount of compression, and seem to do their job properly.

I can't find a pic to share here, but I know some of the 124 coupe guys have made a strap that goes around the edge of the rear window frame that they attach the latch to. To visualize it draw a u-shape with one side a little longer where the latch attaches. The shorter side goes on the outside of the window frame.

This was a recurring problem when I had my 128 SL Coupe for me also. Rearview mirror glue failed, different types of specialty epoxy failed. For a long while I had a line wrapped around a small bit of wood outside the window tied off to a wood screw on the plywood backing I had in place of the rear seat back. Also used a lifter shim with epoxy on both sides figuring I'd gain adhesion with more glue area. Both Sam_P and roadster above have helpful suggestions, wish I knew that when I was 'becoming 'unglued' :) Always a freak out when the glue would give way and the window would pivot out in a turn affixed only by the rusty front fastners. I also had them taped shut for awhile, was close to drilling a hole in the window channel and simply screwing them shut with a sheetmetal screw and washer.

My ex hill climb car has the sheet metal screw, washer "fix". I hope to change that and do better on the other coupe I plan to make road worthy.

I have 6 or 8 extra windows and latches. I want to try the JB Weld solution unless something better comes to light before I get around to it.

I'm kind of interested in the 124 coupe idea mentioned. Hope someone might post a photo.

My ex hill climb car has the sheet metal screw, washer "fix". I hope to change that and do better on the other coupe I plan to make road worthy.

I have 6 or 8 extra windows and latches. I want to try the JB Weld solution unless something better comes to light before I get around to it.

I'm kind of interested in the 124 coupe idea mentioned. Hope someone might post a
I searched the FB group I thought I had seen this on, but am coming up empty. Thinking about it a bit more this fix wouldn't be all that strong as the latch is inbound from the edge of the window enough that you'd have to have some pretty beefy metal for it not to just bend inward when you try to latch it. This pic below is the "fix" one guy did on his 124 coupe. Of course this means you won't be opening the windows.

Window fix.jpg

I know I'm going to need to do this on my 124 Coupe when I start the restoration. I think the issue is usually failure at the glass joint more than the hinge pad, but maybe it's both since they have to be smooth for the normal type of adhesive. I'm thinking of giving both sides some "tooth" for the JB Weld or other epoxy to bite into. The hinge is easy as that can be roughed up with an abrasive. The glass is a different story so I was contemplating using glass etching cream to keep the glass from being too smooth.

Sorry for the large photo. Someone just posted this in the FB 124 Coupe group. Supposedly these brackets were from an Autobianchi 112.

Drilling a hole through glass is really not a big deal.. Even if you were afraid to attempt it, a glass shop could do it for a small fee.. seems like a much more permanent, and better looking fix...IMO.. The 128 rally has opening rear quarter's, but it goes through the glass so you don't have to worry about adhesive sticking to a very non porous surface... It's fine for a rearview mirror, but a side window, held under tension against a seal? Seems like a bad idea.. Plus you have to realize, that over the years as consumer chemicals like paint, strippers and adhesives have become less toxic, they have become Much less effective than they were 45 years ago....

Last edited:
Finally found a good fix for the rear side window latch. On the Italian Ebay site new windows are available. They've not too expensive and shipping was not terrible either. The chrome part that goes through the window is from a Fiat 131.

Attachments

• 20230413_194633.jpg
    20230413_194633.jpg
    128.3 KB · Views: 76
  • 20230413_194617.jpg
    20230413_194617.jpg
    188.1 KB · Views: 72
Back