1500 engine install

karhawk

True Classic
I screwed up and threw out the old block with a part I needed here is a shot of the new block:
_IGP1239.JPG

I need the part the oil filter screws to, anybody got one? The tapped hole on the top center of the block looks like the oil sender since it is adjacent to an oil galley, it was designed for an idiot light sender so the gauge sender will be a tight fit. The temp sender is off the head right?

Also, the pan from the 1300 does not seem to fit quite right, maybe the oil dip stick tube need to be modified, any reason I can't use the pan that cam with this engine? It holds about 1 quart less oil I would estimate and I would have to modify a dip stick to fit the shallower pan. Pros and cons?

Chris
Oakland, Ca.

I need the part the oil filter screws to, anybody got one?
I have one, and it' s yours if you'll promise to donate whatever you think it's worth to the Red Cross for Haiti. But I will be away from my parts stash until midweek, so you might want to see if someone on your side of the continent has a spare.

The tapped hole on the top center of the block looks like the oil sender since it is adjacent to an oil galley, it was designed for an idiot light sender so the gauge sender will be a tight fit. The temp sender is off the head right?
Yes about the temp sender, yes about the tight fit. But it will fit.

Also, the pan from the 1300 does not seem to fit quite right, maybe the oil dip stick tube need to be modified, any reason I can't use the pan that cam with this engine? It holds about 1 quart less oil I would estimate and I would have to modify a dip stick to fit the shallower pan. Pros and cons?
It's the same pan, 1300 X and 1500 X. If your 1300 pan looks way different, then I'd be worried that you ended up with a 128 pan instead of an X1/9 (128 pan is steel not alloy, doesn't have cooling fins).

sure looks like a steel pan on that block, you will have to modify the dipstick, when I converted my Uno motor to use the X1/9 alloy sump I had to fiddle around with the dip stick to get it right, can't remember what I done though sorry.

There is also a spot for the oil pressure sender to the left of the oil filter, but it would need drilling and tapping, but if it fits in the other spot put it there.

Thanks for the comments

The pan on this Lancia 1500 block is steel and was used for some Lancia hatch model, my alloy 1300 pan wouldn't fit because of the dipstick tube was hitting the internal baffle plate. Just wondering if I should just leave it and cut a dipstick to fit. The shape is roughly the same.

Chris
Oakland, Ca.

_IGP1240.JPG

here is a shot of both pans, the 1300 pan is about an inch deeper and the alloy pan is heavier the Lancia pan.

Chris
Oakland, Ca

Thanks for the comments

The pan on this Lancia 1500 block is steel and was used for some Lancia hatch model, my alloy 1300 pan wouldn't fit because of the dipstick tube was hitting the internal baffle plate. Just wondering if I should just leave it and cut a dipstick to fit. The shape is roughly the same.

Chris
Oakland, Ca.

If you are ordering odds and ends from Matt. I am sure he has a dipstick tube or two hanging around and you probably need a new dipstick too. The alloy pan does contribute to the cooling process as well.

If you use the X19 alloy sump, you also need to use the X19 type oil pump pickup that matches... the steel sump will have the base at a different angle, as all sohc's (except the X19 as far as I know) mount at an 18 degree tilt (the X19 is 11 degrees)

If you use the wrong pickup it wont be sitting level at the bottom of the sump...

SteveC

I there a reason not to use the existing steel pan, aside from the 8 degree tilt the pan and pickup will have when mounted?

Chris
Oakland, ca

Is there a good reason to use the steel pan?

The aluminum one original is deeper, helps cool the oil and should fit. Make sure the oil pump pick up is matched to the aluminum oil pan.

Suggestion, adding a scraper tray is good thing to seriously consider at this point.

Bernice

I there a reason not to use the existing steel pan, aside from the 8 degree tilt the pan and pickup will have when mounted?

Chris
Oakland, ca

Thanks Bernice
Do you have any shots of a modified pan with scrapper? I think I will go with the alloy pan, it has cooling fins AND it holds about 1 quart more oil.
I have an extra X pickup that I can change over.

Chris
Oakland, Ca.

Thanks

Does it matter that the pan on this engine will be at a different angle then stock? if I leave the original steel pan and not convert to the 1300 aluminum pan and different pickup.

Chris
Oakland, cA

1300 bs 1500 big bone

Can I get by with a 1300 dogbone on this 1500 engine install?

Thanks
Chris
Oakland, ca

Here is what the PBS style scraper tray looks like:

fiat15lbottemend.jpg

Make sure the tray sits flat on the block before installing. The holes between the vent / dipstick tube might need to be modified for the pan to sit flat. If this is not done, there will be leaks between the tray, block and oil pan.

Use two 128 "cork/composite" style oil pan gaskets if this scraper tray is used. Re-tighten the oil pan bolts after the engine has been run for a few hours as the oil pan bolts (M6) will have a tendency to loosen. Also, longer M6 bolts will be required to install.

Bernice

Thanks Bernice
Do you have any shots of a modified pan with scrapper? I think I will go with the alloy pan, it has cooling fins AND it holds about 1 quart more oil.
I have an extra X pickup that I can change over.

Chris
Oakland, Ca.

Very trick!

I wonder where you might get something like that?!
Thanks for the photo

Chris
Oakland, Ca.

There were PBS originally, but I think.. Vick's offers a similar pan today.
They were just over one hundred buck when PBS offered them.

Bernice

I wonder where you might get something like that?!
Thanks for the photo

Chris
Oakland, Ca.

Back