1974 Fiat X1/9

Canada Fiat

Low Mileage
Hi everybody looking for some help with my first Fiat X1/9 which was sitting for 25 years in the elements. Working on all my electrical Gremlins right now and there are a lot however coming to the question, got my light motors figured out got my side markers going accept the right front, fender marker works there is no extra ground in my electrical plan so not sure what's the issue. To check it I try to remove the light from the body and guess what i cant figure it out how. Cant find any screws and as everything is rusted in don't want to break anything either. Are the 2 10mm metal screws where the lens is screwed in my connection to the body ? i tried them but didnt sound good and cant find anything else.

Assuming you are referring to the right side marker/repeater lights, there should be 2 wires, black (Nero,N) and light blue (Azzurro). N is ground, and light blue is power from the front signal. One diagram I have refers to the light blue as AN, which I infer is light blue with a black tracer.

My car is still in winter storage, so I can't help with your other questions.

Thank BCx19 i do appreciate your help, I will check that out tonight and see if i can figure that out.
The problem only it is tight in the well and testing the whole thing with a test light is difficult.
Still need to get that light of to get to the back wire's.
A few more month and you X1/9 will see sunshine again. I hope by then i have out of province done and can drive it too.

The side marker lights should all just push into the plastic lens (housing). You can just pull the light and holder out as a unit. That should give you the room you need to plug a tester lead into the wires. You can pull the rear side marker lights out (red) first to see how the fronts plug in. The fronts are difficult to reach. If you're lucky the bulb is burned out. If not check the ground (black) wire. Be careful removing the plastic lens though. It's not uncommon for the little mounting nuts to be rusted to the studs in the plastic lens. If they are rusted you'll probably break the lens before you get the nuts off.

Thank BCx19 i do appreciate your help, I will check that out tonight and see if i can figure that out.
The problem only it is tight in the well and testing the whole thing with a test light is difficult.
Still need to get that light of to get to the back wire's.
A few more month and you X1/9 will see sunshine again. I hope by then i have out of province done and can drive it too.
As @MikeHynes said, it's not uncommon ... probably break the lens. I took them off my '79 getting it ready for paint and both front side marker lenses were broken even before I got them off the car. A previous owner had used a silicon sealant (I believe) to help hold them into place.

Replacements aren't impossible to get, but they can be pricey.

Good luck...

Thanks you guys got working on it last night and got the front Parking light going, so off to the next gremlin.
Left back lights are not working either and it gives me the runaround. Have electricity have ground and cant get the Parking light working even with a new bulb. However if i step on the break i have the break light and signal light coming on very low. so guess need to figure that out tonight , any ideas ?
Just did see somebody did wire in a Trailer harness not sure why but maybe i have a short in there at the connections.

The rear light units can corrode and cause these types of problems.

With care you can take them apart and clean but take you time and take care as its easy to break. I can't remember if they are rivets you need to drill out or screws but the plastic holder that has the +ve connector has 2 different metals, one for the bulb and the other for the spade connector and the plastic holder pushes them together to make the connection. Before you take them apart see if you have connection between the spade and the bulb connector.

Thanks you guys got working on it last night and got the front Parking light going, so off to the next gremlin.
Left back lights are not working either and it gives me the runaround. Have electricity have ground and cant get the Parking light working even with a new bulb. However if i step on the break i have the break light and signal light coming on very low. so guess need to figure that out tonight , any ideas ?
Just did see somebody did wire in a Trailer harness not sure why but maybe i have a short in there at the connections.
You likely have a break in the ground wire at one of the interconnections inside the light housing. On my 87 there was a continuity break in the ground wire at the crimp where it connected to one of the bulbs. The ground would reach through a higher wattage bulb for the brake light to the other similar bulb on the right side providing ground.

Disconnect all the power wires except the offending bulb’s power and then test the ground wire through the different connections on the back of the light to find the fault. Cut the wire at the failed point and recrimp a connector to join the grounds and you should be good to go.

Thanks guys, did that last night and you where right was a ground issue, so have all the lights working now.
Off to the instrument cluster we go. Try to get all electrical working before moving on to take the dashboard out and replace the heater core which is leaking. I have a feeling started a 1 year project here as it goes but it is worth it.

Back