1979 gear shifter knob

Henk Martens

True Classic
Ciao amici,

If there is enough interest we plan a NEW re-production of the original 1979 X 1/9 gear shifter knob in heavy quality massive aluminium. This knob is typical Bertone edged design and will fit all X 1/9 !

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

regards,

Henk

I was only 19 when I bought my X and the shifter was the first thing I removed and tossed, as it felt like a "p_ _ _s" in your hand :eek: not cool but seriously it's authentic Fiat so nothing against anyone who loves the original shifter.

'PeteX1/9

Henk, Peter, all others...

We useta call that the "Beer Tapper" shift lever...

And having driven my '79 some 110,000 miles with one... I too believe it hasta be one of neatest stylings, but most poorly engineered shift knob ever manufactured!

HA!

Now I wish I had never tossed mine as it would indeed make an excellent conversation piece on anyone's home bar or tapper!

On a serious note... the tapper as a shift knob was so tall it made shifting LONGER and accentuated all other issues... plus gave you less "feel" for what was going on. If you were a smoker like I was back in the day, holding your cigarette as one would normally do in your right hand... a shift to third usually resulted in smashing the lit end into the switches or plastic plate on the console... with sparks burning the plastic, the carpet and also what you were wearing, as well as your hand.

As Peter said though, it is authentic for those that choose that route... But using a leather wrapped palm shift knob on a shaft cut down two inches makes it feel like an entirely different car!

Interest in used?

I think I have two used ones in very good condition if anyone cares... :)
*I'm* not putting them back on...

I've got one and want to remove it

But having a very difficult time. It won't budge.
It unscrews, correct? If yes my "beer tap" grudgingly rotates but if there's a metal nut underneath it's not turning with the rubbery shift knob. Any ideas? I'd like to remove it without damaging it if possible.

keep going

I had to turn mine a lot and it felt like it wasn't going anywhere but keep rotating counter-clockwise (and pull upwards at the same time) and it should come off with enough patience...

Back