1979 shift linkage

No Lolipop.

The 79 uses a shouldered bolt and a spring washer between the shifter linkage and the transmission. It has a very solid feel in comparison to the models with the loli. I have heard of owners drilling through the metal halfs of the Lolipop and inserting a small bolt with nut to increase the direct firmness of the linkage.

I have both a 79 and an 87 one with one without. Both seem to shift about the same.

TonyK.

Grimsby Ontario Canada.

79 was a year of change for the X

The 79 has a few differences from the Xs before and after it as Fiat revamped the X and changed the engine (1300->1500), tranny (4spd->5spd) and the whole interior. The 79 was till carbureted, but by mid 80 all the Xs were fuel injected.

The reason I ask is my new car seems to have the shorter arm which I think is from 4speed also using a modified lolloi link just what to make sure it is a 5 speed how can I tell found this number on trans 128bs.8c.1000.40/3 would like to make sure before order the right linkage parts for car

I don't know the 5-spd part number

I am not sure how to identify the trans by part number. There is nothing much in the archives on the topic. There is a difference in how you access reverse. On the 4-spd you have to firmly push down on the stick before pulling it back to access reverse. On the 5-spd you just pull the stick back.

The trans is out of the car on I have not driven it is There a way to tell for looking at case

The 5-spd case is longer

The 5-spd is longer due to the larger end cap needed for more internal space to hold the 5th gear.

Here is a pic of my 4-spd. Notice the white plastic vent on the end cap:
clean_4spd_1.jpg

Now look at Matthew's 5-spd and again note the vent. See that extansion of the case due to the end cap for 5th:
IMGP0078.JPG

This pic might be even better. This is Tim's 5-spd, note the the end cap I am referring to is really clean and shiny at the top of the picture:
Image0052-cleaning.jpg

four-speed, five-speed?

The reason I ask is my new car seems to have the shorter arm which I think is from 4speed also using a modified lolloi link just what to make sure it is a 5 speed how can I tell found this number on trans 128bs.8c.1000.40/3 would like to make sure before order the right linkage parts for car

It's easy to tell the four-speed and the five-speed apart. On the four-speed, the driveshafts enter through big flexible rubber boots which must be removed to remove the transmission. On the five-speed, there are short stub shafts that usually stay with the transmission.

The same lollipop works with both four-speed and five-speed transmissions. The shorter arm (from shift lever in the cockpit back to the tranny) is for the lollipop-style linkage (all 1300/4-speed, and all FI 1500/5-speed). The longer arm is for the gooseneck-style linkage on the carbed 1500/5-speed ('79 and some '80 models).

Thanks that clears up that i have a 5 speed transmission
i guess the linkage arm at one time was change with the lolliop
there is what was on the car

Back