RED X19

That shimming tool works excellent, didn't expect that it will be so easy. Thank You for dimensions and tips.
Shims blew off with air.
Picked them up with screwdriver (put two very small magnets on screwdriver).
Best I could do with what I had. (gauge step 0.05mm)
ex in in ex ex in in ex
0.45 0.35 0.2 0.4 0.45 0.25 0.25 0.4

Also installed starter motor from Punto and some random LED numberplate lights
x.jpg

Janis, I have some extra shims in random thicknesses. If you can take some measurements to calculate the thickness you need (determine the existing shim thickness, plus the additional needed to get into the specs), I will look to see if I have any for you. Sorry I did not think to offer this before you went through the process already. But now it will be easy to do the second time. :)

Nice looking shop in the pic. Sure wish I had that much space again.

Thanks Jeff, it's ok, I have a bunch of them also.
I'm not sure about any further investments in this engine, till I will get it roadworthy and see will gearbox survive the power from engine.
I like to think step forward of what am doing.. consider about vtec or Fiat 1.9 DOHC turbo stroker.

I don't think its been discussed much yet, but another possible engine/gearbox option might be the Ford 2.0 (Zetec) from many front wheel drive models. I believe they are very plentiful in Europe so might be a cheap option?

You don't have a lot of realistic choices when it comes to serious gear box upgrades, Collotti and Bacci are available at a high price. However, a friend bought one or the other and had a pig of a job to get it to fit as it was, as far as he can work out, designed for a four speed gear box with a five speed conversion which had numerous subtle differences. All the internal upgrades using Strada/Ritmo/Uno turbo internals seem a lot of work for not much gain, even you can find them. The same goes for using later Punto Gt boxes and making up a suitable gear linkage. The standard boxes are relatively plentiful and cheap to rebuild. I haven't had one break in 4yrs of running 180hp on the road and competition. Without the hill climbing I reckon I would get 10k+ miles instead of around 3-4k before the synchro need attention. This isn't an issue for me as the engine comes out at the end of most seasons racing

Have a nice summer solstice! Even if You don’t celebrate it :D. So I got new tent to sleep in at solstice partywith m50b25tu engine. After that am taking vacation to spend with my X19. Cheers!
3786DBA8-0FB7-4441-B96D-DE12D104E8F5.jpeg
DC50D49D-036E-4EA4-8971-0591FC7EC4B8.jpeg
48B652ED-D44A-4059-9CF6-CA0937A0363C.jpeg
30BD9C08-7120-4A14-B6CA-042EB5DFD19B.jpeg

Nice tent! We only got the estates (station wagons) in 5 series unfortunately. I've always had a thing for estates. Looks like you have lots of power too, sure fills up the engine bay. Enjoy the solstice celebration on our behalf (not celebrated here sadly).

Another holiday I am missing out on...

So, what do you do for Solstice anyway... drink warm beer, dance in congo lines, exchange gifts... etc?

Like Doc, I have always had a thing for "long-roofs"

4CAB840A-4CF1-4A92-9875-40D35A2F4BB4.jpeg
Does original headlight motor spin in one direction? Don’t have them anymore to test.
We (me and electrician) are going to use motors from Nissan 180,they spin in one direction.
That matters, because if they both do, then I can use arms from X19.

Last edited:
Motors from Nissan 200SX (s13) is nearly plug and play. Make adapter to move motors more backward than original position, where they fit, use rotor arm from X19(it fits), get or make longer things that connects arm and headlight, and do the wiring.
Why? Find Your own reason :D
6DD9C38F-FB49-4ADE-B1B4-A53BCF03AB1D.jpeg
5DD4334A-06DC-4AC8-A91F-731720DC67A3.png
24AA6AF9-DCE2-4046-9511-3DFC22F399FA.jpeg

Well done. I love your innovation to get things accomplished in what can be a limited situation. I've said it before but will repeat; it is amazing what can be done with the resources on hand when one puts their mind to it. ;)

What Doc said...

I'm reminded of Ovi in Romania who built an X out of a shell we would have crushed here int the U.S. He'd constantly travel all over Europe looking for parts and making do with what was available, combined with a whole lot of skill...

Hey Janis, how are you? How's the car coming along?

That is exactly what I have to do on one of my X's. It is the one I refer to as "Outlaw"; a very rusty X that was only intended as a parts car, but then I decided to make it into something of a "track day" car (like Carl's "rat"). The rear corners and much of the rear area around the muffler are completely shot on it (as in completely rusted away), so I decided to just cut it across the same line that you illustrated. I'm thinking maybe make a sheet metal "diffuser" sort of thing to help cover the opening. It would not be intended as a real diffuser functionally, more for looks and to help hide even more rust that exists down there. In my case I just want to try and clean up the rusty body as inexpensively as possible, without doing all of the actual rust repairs otherwise required. So for example the wheel arches (fender lips) that are also rusted away will get cut off as well, then covered by some cheap generic flares. The same approach for the front nose where the rust has eaten the 'spoiler' area; I'll cut it off and make a simple front air dam out of sheet metal to cover things.

For the rear "diffuser" I'm thinking something along the lines of one of these examples (but shaped/styled to fit what's left on the X ):
2016-Lamborghini-Aventador-Yellow-exterior-rear-close-up.jpg

88027.jpg

ring-brothers-adrnln-12.jpg

Fiat-X19-with-an-Alfa-Romeo-156-D2-Inline-Four-03.jpg

Janis, you are much better than I am at making such panels. So I'm sure you can come up with better ideas? Maybe even leave the rear open after removing the corners (nothing added)?

I'm good thanks, still 30 years old :D.
At the moment am waiting for X19 to be trailed to my new garage. Nothing much has happened with it yet, still :(
Thanks for the diffuser idea, it could be an option, to save forms in different way, will think about it.
How are You and Your cars doing?

Great garage, should make working on it much easier.
I was doing good, until you reminded me of your age...wish I was still 30. :D

My projects are still moving, SLOWLY. I have 3 car projects and 3 motorcycle projects in process, and I keep going back and forth so none are getting done.

Your car looks good, those rear corners do not seem to be badly rusted (at least not like mine).

Back