2 engine x1/9

bill

my cockatoo likes you
has anyone ever tried to put 2 of the same engines in a x before? one in back and in front. like fiat 850 size or Geo metro. just 110 hp on both of them would be allot. push pull FWD perfect balance 50/50 up down left right. separate throttle added to the main to be able to over or understeer at will. you could adapt the 128 front a arms to the front. That would go I mean go too. and you could turn the front one off and get great gas mileage if needed and braking improved. kind of a wild idea but just a idea:) anyone?

It would be easier to do a twin 128.....

Put the X1/9 drivetrain in the rear of the 128. Plenty of room in the back seat and trunk area. And, a 128 is lighter.

The hood of the X1/9 is so low that a significant portion of the engine would stick out if you put one up front.

But, the uprights on an X are very similar, if not the same, as a 128. Just look at them some time and imagine the strut tube not reaching down behind the spindle centerline.

This is an exercise that my friends and I have imagined for a long time. It is very do-able, it's just that no one has gotten around to actually doing it.

Ciao,

re switch

The 128 would be a better choice for the room too I think. or the dodge colt with the 10 speed tranny, and that came in a turbo:devil: (scary ride)- run that down the strip:eyepop:, but just thought i would try to get that wedge in there from the x1/9 for aerodynamics. lol

Fitting the second engine/transaxle into the front of the X would be a challenge due to the low "bonnet" height, but in theory, this can be done. Also, there would be a weight distribution problem to solve.

Back in the day, Lancia made an Bi-motor Trevi, the Abarth/Lancia folks dropped a second twin cam volumex engine and transaxle into the rear of a Lancia Trevi, sync-ed them up and experimented with this car to see how it would work.

This car was the experiment that would become the Lancia Intergrale in the future.

http://lnx.rallyesportclub.it/forum...ghlight=&sid=829e687f7be6a1f14c47c52a7113c19b

They were not the only ones toying with this idea, VW also took a second engine/transaxle and installed it into the rear of a golf.. which became the Golf Syncro..

Bernice

has anyone ever tried to put 2 of the same engines in a x before? one in back and in front. like fiat 850 size or Geo metro. just 110 hp on both of them would be allot. push pull FWD perfect balance 50/50 up down left right. separate throttle added to the main to be able to over or understeer at will. you could adapt the 128 front a arms to the front. That would go I mean go too. and you could turn the front one off and get great gas mileage if needed and braking improved. kind of a wild idea but just a idea:) anyone?

There's also a company (in Germany I believe) that does a twin engine Audi TT conversion. It was on Top Gear. I want to say that they had issues with it.

2 engine

I had no idea that lancia had tried that or audi. did they have the 2 differental setup in them like in the colt transmission?

I think drag racing it would be alot easier to set up but any driving with turning involved that gearbox setup would help out. The 128 body would be a better one than the colt I think it's a little lighter. Not to sure about the the old 500 body that one i think would be wishful thinking as far as having enough space in the back.

Double 2CV

Citroen, the French car maker, had a twin engined 2CV car nicknamed Sahara (like the desert).
Each engine was a 2 cylinder plant with very low HP. The car was extremely light and funny.
It is said that the car was designed to carry the wife and a carton of eggs safely home. It did.

Oh, you mean this Double Dux_Cheval:hmm:

double2cv.jpg

The 2CV was designed in the 1930's as a low cost car that would carry said farmers wife to and back from the market without breaking a carton of eggs on poor French country roads. I had to be basically un-bustiable, easy and simple to repair and low cost. The 2CV met all these design goals.

During war with Germany, the Citroen folks hid the three prototypes and every design drawing to prevent the German's from getting this design.. It went into production post war and had a very long production life.

The 2CV along with other Citroen's from this era are some of my all time favorite cars.

Bernice

Citroen, the French car maker, had a twin engined 2CV car nicknamed Sahara (like the desert).
Each engine was a 2 cylinder plant with very low HP. The car was extremely light and funny.
It is said that the car was designed to carry the wife and a carton of eggs safely home. It did.

thats different

That puts new meaning to the word backseat driver. Boy i wonder how that car worked. Without a fight of course.

There is a guy that has done it with a Volkswagen

I think he called the the Duracco but cant find anything on the web...

Here is a "Normal" 2CV spotted in Monterey, CA when we were at the Monterey Bach Festival this summer.
2cvfront.jpg

2cvrear.jpg

While they were sort of Imported (two tone paint "Charleston") to the US, they show often in places like the SF bay area and the like.

Bernice

That puts new meaning to the word backseat driver. Boy i wonder how that car worked. Without a fight of course.

Not quite that one

It is a cutie though.
The one I saw once in a parking lot had a rather regular appearance. The driver got in, started to drive on one engine and then "push" started the other one.
That was a scene.

VW did a twin engine Scirocco and I believe raced it in ralleys, I believe it can be seen in their museum in Germany

Car and Driver created a twin engine CRX and had a few tests with it back when it was an interesting magazine

Lots of complexity and difficulty in getting the two ends to behave, together.

I'm at work and don't have much time but if you google Durocco it's a pretty interesting story with a few youtube.com videos of a guy who put two 16v scirocco motors front and back in his scirocco and they ran simeoultaneously from one throttle and he did it in his garage with no hoist and basic tools and a welder. He drives it through snow easier then most cars go down the road. He races a 911 and repeatedly blows him away.

www.durocco.com

Check out all the Youtube videos, they are quite inspiring. All you need is an imagination!!!

'PeteX1/9

Last edited:
mod

I think the trick would be to get them to cancel themselves out with equal force and balance at the same time

Surely you guys saw the twin engined Hyundai Tiburon that was in all the car mags a few years back?

Some guys built a awesome street sleeper Hyundai Tiburon with two engines... both turbocharged. It was 'riced' up a bit, and they'd go looking for street races. The front engine (for show) had a turbo bolted on the stock exhaust manifold, no intercooler... and it had a automatic transmission. At most a non intercooled set up like that would be worth maybe 200 hp... and they'd get suckers all the time. It was obviously a 13second or so machine for people that didn't know about the second motor under the heavily tinted rear glass... The trick? Both engines were running methanol so they didn't need intercooling! Both engines made over 300 hp for a combined 600 plus. Once the word was out on the street and no one would race them anymore, they entered it into a magazines 'ultimate street car' contest. I'm pretty sure it won the 1/4 mile and burn out portions! I don't even know if they competed in the road course portion!

Check out the video... [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yofZIcTkCiw&feature=related"]YouTube - Twin Engine Tiburon RD[/ame]

Back