255/40/13 hoosier paging Steve H

AngeloX19

True Classic
Or anyone else who's used these for that matter, but is this too much tire to run on the rear of the X notwithstanding clearence issues. I'm in need of wheels for next year and putting some heavy thought into 225s front, 255s rear.

I'll be moving the fuel to the front over the winter, but I'll still have a 57% rear bias, not too bad I guess considering the twincam drive line, hence my asking. Thoughts?

I'll be moving the fuel to the front over the winter, but I'll still have a 57% rear bias, not too bad I guess considering the twincam drive line, hence my asking. Thoughts?

57% rear is a lot. Throw in the extra torque of the twincam and you will want the extra meat on the rear. 13x9s or 13x10s are required.

I had to cut and reflare the rears to fit the 225/45-13s on 13x8.5s on my DSP car.

I want to see pics when you have it done :wink2:

Yeah, I figured 57% was a little high. But the positive is that once I get the car stripped for slalom, I'll be around 1750 lbs including me as I roll to the line. 57% would have about 997 lbs on the rear. I would think that fares well compared to 2200 lb Miatas with 50/50. Hopefully I get the chance to find out next year :boxing:

bumping for an additional question

So I've been putting a lot of thought of making this a dedicated slalom car, hence my question about towing the car. But if people have an open choice on tires (dot or slicks) which would it be? Researching the hoosier site, I see 3 options.

225 / 255 DOT on 8" and 9" or 10" wheels

20x8 / 20x9.5 cantilever slicks on 6" and 7" wheels

21.5x8 / 20x9 slicks on 8" and 10" wheels

I'm not looking at classing structure, just what provides the best grip over the longest period of time. I'm between the dot and wide wheel slicks, just sitting on the fence still. Thanks.

Slicks vs DOT rubber...

I run DOT 225/45 on road courses,
due to concern about overloading thin sidewall
of slicks at triple digit speeds in heavier car
than they were designed for (in my size).
Cantilever slicks are built for production car classes,
so thicker/stiffer sidewalls are OK at speed.
Non-canti slicks are built for formula car classes,
with extremely thin sidewalls.

On short track/autocross, I like slicks since
scuffed takeoffs can be bought for pennies.
More grip than R compound Hoosier DOTs,
which also are available used for pennies.
A compound Hoosier DOTs never available used,
so I can't speak about those vs slicks.

Thanks. I looked at a lot of photos of Prepared and Mod class cars at the Nationals and XP in particular. The bulk of them were non-cantilever slick with a few on dot's.

Back