3D scanning services?

MikeHynes

True Classic
I have one good rear spoiler tip that I would like to have 3D scanned so that it could be 3D printed. I see that there are several outfits out there that can provide the service such as:

My question is, has anyone had any experience with any of these 3D scanning services?

20240202_150942.jpg20240202_150952.jpg20240202_151001.jpg

I haven't used a service to scan, but I do have a scanner (or 2). But I'm not keen on disassembling my wing. Certainly not before spring! 😄

I haven't used a service to scan, but I do have a scanner (or 2). But I'm not keen on disassembling my wing. Certainly not before spring! 😄
I have no experience with 3D printing. Do you have any tips or advice that you would share before I send my wing tip out to a scanning service?
Also, I wouldn't recommend you disassemble your wing. Mine had rusty screws and bolts and was not easy to disassemble.

According to this article
https://all3dp.com/2/best-3d-scanner-app-iphone-android-photogrammetry/
You can use your phone, some of them are free so might be worth a try. This seems especially true to anyone who has a more recent iPhone as, according to my reading, have built in lidar which makes the scanning quicker and more accurate.
I keep getting tempted to dip my toe into 3d printing. But the longer I put it off the cheaper and the better quality the printers get.
Still one day....
I think the more X1/9 parts we scan and have in the wiki the better for all of us and helping keep out cars working as they should.

According to this article
https://all3dp.com/2/best-3d-scanner-app-iphone-android-photogrammetry/
You can use your phone, some of them are free so might be worth a try. This seems especially true to anyone who has a more recent iPhone as, according to my reading, have built in lidar which makes the scanning quicker and more accurate.
I keep getting tempted to dip my toe into 3d printing. But the longer I put it off the cheaper and the better quality the printers get.
Still one day....
I think the more X1/9 parts we scan and have in the wiki the better for all of us and helping keep out cars working as they should.
I've tried several programs to do this and the results were poor at best, you need a real scanner to do this jobs.

I have no experience with 3D printing. Do you have any tips or advice that you would share before I send my wing tip out to a scanning service?
Also, I wouldn't recommend you disassemble your wing. Mine had rusty screws and bolts and was not easy to disassemble.
I think the biggest issue for you with these services will be the printing. What method will they use, will it hold up to the forces the wing tip will experience. Next, what materials will be used, will it give the surface quality you want, will it hold up to the weather condition and temperature ranges you will experience, will UV rays from the sun break it down? I'm just a hobbyist but I know other on this board are professionals who could guide you even better.

If you are able to get a scan, I would be interested in printing the part for you to try. 3D printing is fairly new to me as well , but my wife has had it running almost nonstop for over a month now. We use PETG filament.

Thanks for the input. Sounds like a pro 3D scan is needed. I am fairly sure the file they return would be usable for 3D printing but I'm have to confirm that with the printer before I pull the trigger.
One other question for those familiar with the scan file - would it be possible to "flip" the file so that the opposite wing tip could also be printed?

Thanks for the input. Sounds like a pro 3D scan is needed. I am fairly sure the file they return would be usable for 3D printing but I'm have to confirm that with the printer before I pull the trigger.
One other question for those familiar with the scan file - would it be possible to "flip" the file so that the opposite wing tip could also be printed?
This very easy to do.

If you are able to get a scan, I would be interested in printing the part for you to try. 3D printing is fairly new to me as well , but my wife has had it running almost nonstop for over a month now. We use PETG filament.
When selecting the print for automotive use, you will also need to check if the Plastic you are using is resistant to chemicals, UV light and how will it can take paint. Take a look at these links.

tab1.jpg

One area to think about (and I have been) is how to scan it so it has no hidden voids. Also, the printer has to build up from a flat surface so this might affect the orientation you need to scan. Hopefully not having to split in a couple pieces and gluing them back together. :eek:

I'm not convinced my car originally came with a wing, so removing it is something I'm considering, anyway.

University of Nebraska has an innovation campus that allows members to use pro grade scanning and printing tools. Monthly membership is reasonable ($50 - 80) and they have people on staff to assist. I'd look around. Many schools have "maker spaces" and the people there are enthusiastic about this type of project - just for the learning aspect.

My experience with this stuff is woefully out of date, but even back in 2008 when I was learning about it the posibilities were amazing.
Once you have a good scan, a whole bunch of options present themselves. First, a computerized model is generated from the scan. Things features can be modified/corrected at this stage very easily. Not only can the model be 'mirrored' to make left-hand and right-hand versions, but it can also be turned 'inside-out' to make a mold. That opens up the door to other materials than those used by a 3D Printer. For instance, a relatively inexpensive 3D printed mold could be used to lay up fiberglass parts. Different materials might drive some different choices about some of the features of the finished part, but the choices become yours to make.
The price and the learning curve for the software is not insignificant, so the services of people who do these things regularly is probably a good direction, but it is becoming more accessible all the time. if you are interrested in learning about it. Checking into 'Maker Spaces' is a good suggestion. Some of the folks in those communities are amazingly skilled and love to help with projects.

University of Nebraska has an innovation campus that allows members to use pro grade scanning and printing tools. Monthly membership is reasonable ($50 - 80) and they have people on staff to assist. I'd look around. Many schools have "maker spaces" and the people there are enthusiastic about this type of project - just for the learning aspect.
That would be a steal for that price point plus you will have access to real experience users.

When getting a part scanned, is this something that you might need to look into (I don't know)? Are the scan files offered in various file types like other digital files (e.g. CNC or laser cutting applications, etc)? And if so, does it matter what file type you get your scan saved as for the 3D printer/service that will be used?

DrJeff - my experience is that you need to know the intended use for the scanned file. The software output from the scanner is a point cloud and that needs to be converted over to the proper file type to bring into a CAD or machine tool software. Manipulating it from there can be complicated (editing the file in CAD to smooth or change the surfaces).

This is my experience from 5-7 years ago when we were doing this at work. We had dreams of drag and drop from scan to CAD, and that did not happen. Technology may have advanced a lot since then.

Back