4 speed transmission disassembly - snap ring

rayethan

Low Mileage
Hi. I'm trying to disassemble my 4 speed transmission. I'm hung up on the snap ring. I've removed the back cover and there are two snap rings. One on each of the two shafts. I was able to get one off, but the other one is giving me trouble. Apparently, there is a belleville on one of the shafts. I have the little tool (70284) that screws into the end of the shaft to compress the washer. Did that. Still can't get the snap ring out. Is there some sort of trick to using the tool? I'm able to expand the snap ring, but it doesn't seem to be able to open far enough. Is there some sort of special size snap ring pliers?

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Ethan

Once the belleville washer is compressed with the "tool" tap the snap ring with a small punch to slightly rotate the snap ring, then it will likely be expandable for removal. That snap ring tends to get well "seated" in the groove and does not come out without some added persuasion.

Don't skimp on snap ring pliers, used a good quality European pattern snap ring plier (right angle in this case) and correct size with forged jaws like these:

Bernice

Back