4"x10" speakers?

my front speakers

leftspkr.jpg

rightspkr.jpg

I had my latch come up into the glovebox... I didn't really like the latch setup but the speakers worked great!

Last edited:
I moved my latch up under the dash
http://xwebforums.com/forum/index.php?threads/8582
and started working on some templates for the speakers, got one fabbed up in cardboard to test and get me through the day. Tweeters on top of the dash. Certainly sounds better and will willingly go a lot louder then the 4" door speakers but it's pretty thin and tinny sounding to me. No substitute for a sub I guess. I will make the final panels from thin ply and cover in vinyl, not sure how I'll attache them yet. I'm using the front channel, not sure if that makes a difference or not, does a head differentiate sound output front vs. rear? I assumed not. Fader is set to full front (since there is no other channel yet). Sony head has several preset EQ settings and I'm running my iPod through it which also has EQ settings and I know the iPod acts like a preamp and can do weird things to levels. I'll try some radio later today. Nice to have some volumn anyway, even if it doesn't really sound "good" yet.

it is a start

Once you get the speakers in, play with the head settings. I think I have mine set to DSO2 (I think it is DSO). Setting one was to light in the highs, and setting 3 was to loud in the highs. 2 seemed good and then I use the Xplode setting for the equalizer.

I played a bit at lunch today and it actually does sound pretty good. I need to make "real" speaker panels though as my cardboard template won't stay put and it's a bit hard to drive with a speaker/cardboard and wires wrapped around your clutch foot. It's a work in progress......

saw some elcheapo speakers yesterday, $20 for a pair, now I know, you often get what you pay for but you also quite often pay for far more then what you get....mixed reviews....so tempting.....I'm cheap, it's a cheap stereo.....
http://www.hookedontronics.com/sales/B617286c9f064a_P117_Boss_CH4620.htm

oh yeah, my 6" round with crossover and tweeters in kick panels I made are working out fine, just need something to round out the sound behind me, and no, I don't even try to hear it with the top off at highway speed.

Last edited:
I put pioneer 4x6's in the shelf, and they are audible on the highway - they actually have quite reasonable bass.

Which model did you get?
There's two sets of pioneers on Craigslist I'm looking into but one is only 30 watts RMS and my stereo does 50 per channel so those would likely get distorted easily, not sure on the others. Sometimes I scare myself I'm so cheap.

Which model did you get?
There's two sets of pioneers on Craigslist I'm looking into but one is only 30 watts RMS and my stereo does 50 per channel so those would likely get distorted easily, not sure on the others. Sometimes I scare myself I'm so cheap.

You can see them in this pic (if it helps identify)...

IMG_7342.jpg

...the actual model, I'll have to check for you tomorrow.

Hey guys, I have a pair of Pioneer 4X6 speakers. Good shape.
$15 plus whatever shipping takes. I have experience shipping speakers so no worries.

http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i262/emrliquidlife/Mini Disc Storage/IMG_0588.jpg
IMGA0035.jpg

If you have amplifiers available, I would jump on it. The sound will be far better at low volume as well as high vol. I do have a 10" Pioneer sub in a box that fits in the spare tire compartment that I could part with. If you are interested let me know,

In my car, I actually upgraded from these 4x6 to an enclosed speaker. It was a sealed 4" cube with a swiveling tweeter. Sound got far more realistic. The sub rounds it off nicely. I used a Alpine MRP-F250 to the cubes on the rear tray and a Punch 45 bridged to the sub.

Personally, I don't mind mixing speakers from different manufactures. As long as the sound is acceptable in the end. I think I'm getting the impression that the OP has some mids down in the kick panels in a cardboard enclosure. Once you make a proper enclosure the sound accuracy will dramatically improve. You may have to think about venting the rear of the enclosure in order to let the woofer work best.

Ed

My kick panels are now made of ply, covered in vinyl, open on the top. Sound is pretty good I think. What is the RMS of these Pioneers? I could look it up too I guess.....I'm now distracted trying to keep the interior dry.

Mids in the doors, subs in the back

I have 4" speakers mounted in the doors under the wing windows. I made a point to find ones with a low enough profile that the stock window cranks don't interfere. I've changed them a few times over the years; and have had three different pair in there -they aren't too hard to find.
This puts the mid/high drivers in a pretty good location for proper sound field. The ones I have in there currently have a coaxial tweeter that can be aimed.

For bass, I made a cabinet with two 6" woofers and an amp. It fits behind the passenger seat and extends from the right edge of the driver's seat to the right edge of the passenger seat, from the floor (fitted over the center hump) to the edge of the tray under the back window.
I've been pretty happy with the set up and I get very good sound (much better than I was expecting from just a pair of 6" subwoofers) but I lose a little passenger legroom. (the cabinet tapers; it's wider at the bottom).
At the moment I need to either repaint it or cover it in carpet, and my wife would like a little more legroom so I've been looking at options.

I am pretty confident that this:
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_113KSCSW10/Kenwood-KSC-SW10.html?tp=114
will fit in the center of the car between the seats (vertically mounted against the back wall). I haven't gotten around to it yet, but I've planned to mock it up with a cardboard box and see. My current box is almost that thick in the middle, and it doesn't come anywhere close to getting in the way of my elbow when I'm shifting.

Ohhh, just say now to a raceway woofer.

I'm not saying I have delicate or superior hearing. But the one thing I ahve noticed is that I don't care for raceway style woofers. Bose typically uses this design. Sound is nowhere near what a woofer actually sounds like.

Ed

I originally had 4" rounds in the doors, they are now hooked up piggy-backed off the crossover from the tweeter side, since they were there anyway. Not going to tell you they sound good, no idea.

Finally got some 4x6, went with very cheap Boss ones for $13 to my door, they are rated 100wRMS and some online reviews weren't too bad. I'm planning on my own angled panel over the original flat as others have done. Can't play now though, in Guatemala City on vacation/mission trip. They got some crazy cars down here and I would never dare drive here let alone something I cherished, wow.
Does it matter much what gauge wire I run? PO had some super heavy gauge in there I can reuse it. Is there a downside to running really heavy gauge wire even if i'm only pushing 50 watts per speaker? I have it, may as well reinstall and use it as long as it isn't detrimental to sound. My hope is to get a half way decent stereo in here (almost there already) and after all other issues are settled with car, maybe come back and redo it.

Last edited:
Update, 5 months later. All is well, sounds pretty good, not great. Speakers did fit with out mods. Maybe I updated this somewhere else too. Cheap way out.

Back