"5-speed 101" - paging Steve H...

Status
Not open for further replies.

User1

RETIRED Admin, pm OFF
<TABLE cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=6 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD colSpan=2><TABLE width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD style="PADDING-TOP: 4px" vAlign=top colSpan=2>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]"5-speed 101" - paging Steve H...<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

[/FONT][FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]January 9 2000 at 12:06 PM[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial][/FONT][/FONT]</TD><TD vAlign=top align=right>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<SCRIPT language=Javascript> <!-- var n54_em; n54_em = ""; n54_em = n54_em + "s";n54_em = n54_em + "e";n54_em = n54_em + "a";n54_em = n54_em + "t";n54_em = n54_em + "t";n54_em = n54_em + "l";n54_em = n54_em + "e";n54_em = n54_em + "x";n54_em = n54_em + "1";n54_em = n54_em + "9";n54_em = n54_em + "@";n54_em = n54_em + "y";n54_em = n54_em + "a";n54_em = n54_em + "h";n54_em = n54_em + "o";n54_em = n54_em + "o";n54_em = n54_em + ".";n54_em = n54_em + "c";n54_em = n54_em + "o";n54_em = n54_em + "m"; document.write("Mac"); // --> </SCRIPT>Mac <NOSCRIPT> Mac </NOSCRIPT> [/FONT]</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=bottom colSpan=3><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD colSpan=3>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<!-- google_ad_section_start -->Okay folks! All the preparations have been made and I am ready (as I'll ever be anyway) to begin the tranny work on my '80 X...

For those who don't recall, I lost the synchro action on my 2nd gear last fall just a couple of days before I was going to put the car away for the winter (if it's going to break, at least the timing was good!)

So I have been preparing my workspace for this task. I now have a small but very effective propane shop-heater, the X is up on jackstands (the best I can do here) and I am on a creeper underneath the beast...

Back when this happened, Steve Hoelscher was kind enough to shed some of his expert opinion on this scenario. Here's a refresher on his initial diagnosis, from thousands of miles away, based solely on my description in words:

Complex analysis of data (read: guesswork)
Date: Sun Oct 31 17:56 PST 1999

Mac wrote:
: I got it home and checked the sandwich joint.
: Sure enough it had vibrated loose. I readjusted
: it and then set out to perform the test you told
: me to try... I started from a stop in 2nd gear,
: I ran it up to redline and abruptly dropped off
: the throttle. I did this a few different times.
: Try as I might (and I did try) I just could not
: get it to pop out of gear. As long as I start
: _from a stop_ in 2nd, it ain't coming out
: unless I take it out... But if I start in any
: other gear and try to move to 2nd with the car
: in motion, I get the CRUNCH. So what would that
: lead you to suspect?

That you just saved yourself some money.
happy.gif

If it doesn't pop out of gear then the shifting fork, slider and engagement teeth are all doing their job. They may have some damage from the initial incident, but they are functioning as intended.

So... (with consideration of the above) if it is grinding going into gear, then there is no synchroniser function. And since this was an instantaneous failure, it is not likely the synchro itself. That leaves only the spring which applies pressure to the synchro. One would assume, either the spring broke, or it popped out of its keepers. Without the spring, the synchro will not engage the gear's hub and therefore not spin the gear up to speed during selection.

Logically, this is the only type of failure that would fit the circumstance you have described. Time to tear it apart and begin inspecting the synchro's components to identify what happened.

Let me know when you have it out and are ready to open it up.

Steve

Okay, well I have the car in the air but have not removed anything yet. I am wondering wether I should try to re-align the sandwich joint and test the car again before I go to all the effort of removing the tranny. Here's why - I have just discovered a piece of info that I had not known during our initial discussion on this:

It would appear that the single nut/bolt at the rear of the joint may be stripped out. I just checked under there and it is loose again! This makes me wonder: if the joint was loose again during the tests, even after I thought I had straightened it out, could that not have been causing this symptom as well?

I can get 1st & 2nd from a stop with no problem. Seeing as how I never go for 1st when moving, I cannot say about that one, but (as originally described) if the car is moving I get the crunch going for 2nd. Could this not possibly be the result of the joint pivoting on that stripped nut/bolt, thus putting me out-of-line for a smooth shot at 2nd?

If that were the case, then do you think I should replace that nut/bolt and test drive it again before going ahead and taking the tranny out?

Your educated guess at the synchro spring makes sense to me, but I don't want to tear the tranny down if it turns out to be that the lollipop was flopping around again during the tests...

Work smarter, not harder - that's my credo. So with this new bit of info in-mind, do you think that is a possibility? Or am I overlooking some other detail here?

Perhaps I am just in denial that the tranny has to come out, and am looking for an easy explanation?
wink.gif

What do you think of this possibility? -Mac.

<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

[/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellPadding=4 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top noWrap align=left>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial] [/FONT]</TD><TD vAlign=top align=right>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]
closeThread.gif
[/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR><TR><TD>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]Author[/FONT]</TD><TD>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]Reply[/FONT]</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top noWrap width="17.9%">[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]kyle[/FONT]
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial][/FONT]</TD><TD style="PADDING-LEFT: 15px" vAlign=top><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD align=left>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<!-- google_ad_section_start -->Mac's 2nd gear<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

[/FONT][FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial][/FONT]</TD><TD vAlign=top align=right>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]January 9 2000, 4:59 PM [/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD style="PADDING-LEFT: 15px">
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<!-- google_ad_section_start -->Mac,

I don't own an x1/9 yet but I'm ASE master tech at a Saturn shop. If you get the grinding going into second I would bet money that the second gear blocker is worn out.<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

[/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=4 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top align=left>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial] [/FONT]</TD><TD vAlign=top noWrap align=right>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]
closeThread.gif
[/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top noWrap width="17.9%">[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]Mac[/FONT]
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial][/FONT]</TD><TD style="PADDING-LEFT: 30px" vAlign=top><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD align=left>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<!-- google_ad_section_start -->yet?<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

[/FONT][FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial][/FONT]</TD><TD vAlign=top align=right>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]January 11 2000, 9:18 PM [/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD style="PADDING-LEFT: 30px">
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<!-- google_ad_section_start -->Kyle wrote:
: I don't own an X1/9 yet

Well, it sounds like you are on the market?

As to the suggestion, I would be suprised if anything were worn out because the internals are rather new.

The 2nd gear mesh failed almost instantly while I was driving down a very very bumpy road (probably a little faster than I should have too)

At this point we're all just guessing, but my guess is something gave out, not from wear, but from just that one moment of too much stress on one component or another...

Only time (and disassembly) will tell! Stick around and we shall all see - that is, if I can get this thing apart!
wink.gif

Peace, -Mac

[/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=4 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top align=left>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial] [/FONT]</TD><TD vAlign=top noWrap align=right>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]
closeThread.gif
[/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top noWrap width="17.9%">[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<SCRIPT language=Javascript> <!-- var n54_em; n54_em = ""; n54_em = n54_em + "s";n54_em = n54_em + "t";n54_em = n54_em + "e";n54_em = n54_em + "v";n54_em = n54_em + "e";n54_em = n54_em + "h";n54_em = n54_em + "h";n54_em = n54_em + "@";n54_em = n54_em + "h";n54_em = n54_em + "i";n54_em = n54_em + "w";n54_em = n54_em + "a";n54_em = n54_em + "a";n54_em = n54_em + "y";n54_em = n54_em + ".";n54_em = n54_em + "n";n54_em = n54_em + "e";n54_em = n54_em + "t"; document.write("Steve Hoelscher"); // --> </SCRIPT>Steve Hoelscher <NOSCRIPT> Steve Hoelscher </NOSCRIPT>[/FONT]
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial][/FONT]</TD><TD style="PADDING-LEFT: 15px" vAlign=top><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD align=left>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<!-- google_ad_section_start -->Sorry, but It will have to come out<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

[/FONT][FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial][/FONT]</TD><TD vAlign=top align=right>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]January 9 2000, 8:47 PM [/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD style="PADDING-LEFT: 15px">
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<!-- google_ad_section_start -->Sorry Mac, but the loose linkage will not affect synchro performance. Either the synchro is shot, or the spring broke. I have driven cars with the joint at the top of the lollipop so worn out that I didn't see how it worked at all, and the sychros still worked. It doesn't matter what the linkage does, in the end it will move the selector shaft and the selector shaft is what moves the slider to engage the gear.

So get busy pulling that sucker. You want a proceedure for yanking it?

Steve

closeThread.gif
[/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top noWrap width="17.9%">[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]Stu Brennan[/FONT]
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial][/FONT]</TD><TD style="PADDING-LEFT: 30px" vAlign=top><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD align=left>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<!-- google_ad_section_start -->Take Pictures<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

[/FONT][FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial][/FONT]</TD><TD vAlign=top align=right>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]January 10 2000, 9:48 AM [/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD style="PADDING-LEFT: 30px">
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<!-- google_ad_section_start -->I hope that you will take pictures as you go along. I for one have never been inside one of these tranny's so I am watching with great interest. Maybe we can create a how to section as part of the technical tips section. I volunteer to try and organize pictures and text into some readable format if you want help. Stu<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

closeThread.gif
[/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top noWrap width="17.9%">[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<SCRIPT language=Javascript> <!-- var n54_em; n54_em = ""; n54_em = n54_em + "s";n54_em = n54_em + "t";n54_em = n54_em + "e";n54_em = n54_em + "v";n54_em = n54_em + "e";n54_em = n54_em + "h";n54_em = n54_em + "h";n54_em = n54_em + "@";n54_em = n54_em + "h";n54_em = n54_em + "i";n54_em = n54_em + "w";n54_em = n54_em + "a";n54_em = n54_em + "a";n54_em = n54_em + "y";n54_em = n54_em + ".";n54_em = n54_em + "n";n54_em = n54_em + "e";n54_em = n54_em + "t"; document.write("Steve Hoelscher"); // --> </SCRIPT>Steve Hoelscher <NOSCRIPT> Steve Hoelscher </NOSCRIPT>[/FONT]
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial][/FONT]</TD><TD style="PADDING-LEFT: 45px" vAlign=top><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD align=left>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<!-- google_ad_section_start -->Time for Mac's cuss cam!<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

[/FONT][FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial][/FONT]</TD><TD vAlign=top align=right>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]January 10 2000, 10:56 AM [/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD style="PADDING-LEFT: 45px">
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<!-- google_ad_section_start -->...subtitled of course.

closeThread.gif
[/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top noWrap width="17.9%">[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]Mac[/FONT]
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial][/FONT]</TD><TD style="PADDING-LEFT: 60px" vAlign=top><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD align=left>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<!-- google_ad_section_start -->nothing here is easy, is it?<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

[/FONT][FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial][/FONT]</TD><TD vAlign=top align=right>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]January 11 2000, 4:25 PM [/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD style="PADDING-LEFT: 60px">
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<!-- google_ad_section_start -->I think that it sounds like a good idea of course, but I am going to be focusing mainly on the tranny work, not the web documentary, so it would have to be pretty simplistic for me not to get burdened or sidetracked from the task at hand...

Plus the entire tranny job itself is only progressing on an "as time permits" basis, so it could be slow going, as I have been swamped lately with outside obligations.

Maybe Photographer Holly would also swoop in to snap some pics. That would be helpful. At any rate, it will not be a big-effort production like some of the projects I take on around here, but with a few key pics and some to-the-point text I'm sure we could make it worthwhile. -Mac.

closeThread.gif
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial][/FONT]</TD><TD style="PADDING-LEFT: 75px" vAlign=top><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD align=left>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<!-- google_ad_section_start -->Well?<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

[/FONT][FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial][/FONT]</TD><TD vAlign=top align=right>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]January 12 2000, 5:55 PM [/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD style="PADDING-LEFT: 75px">
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<!-- google_ad_section_start -->Do you want me to start by posting the removal proceedure?

We can move to the next step whenever you are ready.

Steve

closeThread.gif
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial][/FONT]</TD><TD style="PADDING-LEFT: 90px" vAlign=top><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD align=left>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<!-- google_ad_section_start -->that would be great!<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

[/FONT][FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial][/FONT]</TD><TD vAlign=top align=right>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]January 13 2000, 9:07 AM [/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD style="PADDING-LEFT: 90px">
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<!-- google_ad_section_start -->I've done it before on my '75, but then the entire engine & tranny were coming out, and it was quite some time ago...

I have both manuals and could probably get it done, but naturally I'd be a moron not to accept your advice!

Please do give us your procedure. You can start by telling me exactly what size of allen head socket I need for removal of the halfaxle bolts
happy.gif

Peace, -Mac.

closeThread.gif
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial][/FONT]</TD><TD style="PADDING-LEFT: 105px" vAlign=top><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD align=left>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<!-- google_ad_section_start -->special tools and starting points<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

[/FONT][FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial][/FONT]</TD><TD vAlign=top align=right>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]January 13 2000, 1:00 PM [/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD style="PADDING-LEFT: 105px">
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<!-- google_ad_section_start -->The allen head cap screws for the CV joints are 6 mm. I would recommend you get a very high quality 6 mm, 3/8th drive, allen socket. I use a snap-on. And get an extra bit for it, or buy two. This is so if you ruin one, you won't loose a day getting another. I keep two extra bits for mine. Snap-on will replace them free, but it takes a few days to get together with my rep to get one. I would be down till then without extra bits.

You will also need a 30 mm socket and an impact wrench (either electic or air). First to remove the axle nut, then later to remove the nuts on the end of the shafts. You can use a cheater bar and a big wratched or breaker bar to remove the axle nut. To do this the car should be on the ground. I have someone hold the brake peddle while I pull on the cheater bar. The impact is easier.

For ease of access you may want to remove the engine cover.

Loosen the rear axle nuts, then place the car on stands, remove the rear wheels and drain the gear oil. While the gear oil is draining, you can work from above. On injected cars pull the air cleaner canister, or on carbed cars, pull the blower motor. Then remove the clutch slave cylinder and its bracket. No need to break the system, just tuck it away. Next, break loose (a couple of turns only) the two top bellhousing bolts. Finally, diconnect the speedo drive.

From under the car, unplug the reverse switch, remove the starter bolts (I leave it in place), remove the shift linkage lolli pop and break loose the two lower bellhousing bolts as you did the top two.

Now move to the driver's side of the car and remove the allen screws holding the inner CV to the stub shaft on the transmission. I use an impact for this as it is easier and less likely to strip the allen screws than a hand wratchet. Be sure the allen screws are clean so the bit can bottom out and fit properly. NOTE: It is very easy to strip the heads out. If you do, use a drill and a hardened bit to drill the head off the screw. A cheap allen wrench will almost garantee you will strip one or more out.

Remove the brake caliper, bracket and rotor. Next remove strut, swing the a-arm down and pull the axle up, slide the axle out of the hub and set it aside.

From under the car, support the engine (on the oil pan) with a jack or stand. Then pull the cross member, the lower motor mount and the backing plate/flywheel cover. Now remove the allen screws from the passenger side axle inner CV joint.

Now you have a choice of; either removing the driver's side A-arm or swinging it down and pulling the gearbox out through the inner wheel well opening and the a-arm. I prefer the latter. Everyone else tells me they prefer to pull the A-arm. If you pull the a-arm, note the position of the shims so you can re-install them correctly.

Finally, remove the bellhousing bolts (lower ones first) and slide the transmission off the clutch. I prefer to sit in the empty wheel well and drop it into my lap. If you leave the a-arm on the car (which is now pointing straight down) it makes a handy place to rest the transmission durring this process.

You may find you want to lower the jack supporting the engine an inch or so to allow the transmission room the slide off the clutch.

That's it! Takes about an hour if you work quickly.

Steve

closeThread.gif
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial][/FONT]</TD><TD style="PADDING-LEFT: 120px" vAlign=top><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD align=left>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<!-- google_ad_section_start -->It will take me longer<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

[/FONT][FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial][/FONT]</TD><TD vAlign=top align=right>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]January 13 2000, 6:15 PM [/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD style="PADDING-LEFT: 120px">
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<!-- google_ad_section_start -->
But that's okay, I am fortunately not in any rush. I have the next couple of days off so I will set about gathering the tools asap. Will keep you all posted as to when things heat up (bad garage-heater pun) - in the meantime, Holly has a roll of film set aside for the virtual tech session. Stay tuned, and thanks Steve for the concise and clear procedure! Peace, -Mac.

closeThread.gif
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial][/FONT]</TD><TD style="PADDING-LEFT: 135px" vAlign=top><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD align=left>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<!-- google_ad_section_start -->Oh, almost forgot!<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

[/FONT][FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial][/FONT]</TD><TD vAlign=top align=right>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]January 13 2000, 8:43 PM [/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD style="PADDING-LEFT: 135px">
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<!-- google_ad_section_start -->Before starting, remove a battery cable and disconnect the gound strap.

Oh, and I will be out of town this weekend. So you are on your own till sunday evening
wink.gif

Steve

closeThread.gif
[/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top noWrap width="17.9%">[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<SCRIPT language=Javascript> <!-- var n54_em; n54_em = ""; n54_em = n54_em + "g";n54_em = n54_em + "r";n54_em = n54_em + "8";n54_em = n54_em + "x";n54_em = n54_em + "t";n54_em = n54_em + "c";n54_em = n54_em + "@";n54_em = n54_em + "g";n54_em = n54_em + "t";n54_em = n54_em + "e";n54_em = n54_em + ".";n54_em = n54_em + "n";n54_em = n54_em + "e";n54_em = n54_em + "t"; document.write("Mike Mittelstead"); // --> </SCRIPT>Mike Mittelstead <NOSCRIPT> Mike Mittelstead </NOSCRIPT>[/FONT]
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial][/FONT]</TD><TD style="PADDING-LEFT: 120px" vAlign=top><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD align=left>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<!-- google_ad_section_start -->Here's the little bit I've learned...<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

[/FONT][FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial][/FONT]</TD><TD vAlign=top align=right>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]January 13 2000, 10:53 PM [/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD style="PADDING-LEFT: 120px">
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<!-- google_ad_section_start -->Well now, that sure is clearly laid out by MNCS. Pay special heed to the 6mm allenscrew pointers, especially about cleaning all the crust from the inside of the allen recesses so the bit fits all the way in. And keep some force on the rachet to keep the bit fully seated.

On the issue of dropping the left a-arm, agree it's faster to get tranny out that way. But the rub on that is when you stick the tranny back in, for me at least. Muscleing the trans into postion and stabbing it takes a real he-man, or at least a technique that I haven't figured out. Therefore, I like to plop the trans on the floorjack and jack it into position.

I like to use a couple of headless bolts (about an inch longer than the actual bolts) in the top two bellhousing boltholes. These serve as alignment pins, and hold the trans in place while you diddle with lining up the input shaft splines with the splines in the clutch disk.

Before removing the axle nuts, use a narrow (width of the groove) chisel to "unstake" the staked nut.

Hope this helps a little. And remember: feel free to email anytime.
happy.gif
MM<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

closeThread.gif
[/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top noWrap width="17.9%">[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]Gilles[/FONT]
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial][/FONT]</TD><TD style="PADDING-LEFT: 135px" vAlign=top><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD align=left>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<!-- google_ad_section_start -->Are you clean?<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

[/FONT][FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial][/FONT]</TD><TD vAlign=top align=right>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]January 14 2000, 9:05 AM [/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD style="PADDING-LEFT: 135px">
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<!-- google_ad_section_start -->Hi Mac:

I thing that you have excellent advise so far from guys with lot of experience in this particular task, I personally prefer dropping the A arm (it seems that you have a little more room to work)

However I strongly recommend you to drive or perhaps limp? (just kidding) to the carwash and clean the tranny and support brackets with engine degreaser BEFORE attempting getting to the task. Therefore the lifting, hugging, hustling (all the required commitment) at least will be more pleasant. Good luck and best regards, Gilles <!-- google_ad_section_end -->

closeThread.gif
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial][/FONT]</TD><TD style="PADDING-LEFT: 150px" vAlign=top><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD align=left>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<!-- google_ad_section_start -->getting greasy is half the fun!<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

[/FONT][FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial][/FONT]</TD><TD vAlign=top align=right>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]January 14 2000, 10:16 AM [/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD style="PADDING-LEFT: 150px">
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<!-- google_ad_section_start -->...besides, I already have the car up on jackstands with no wheels on it. Thus, I will be taking the alternate route to cleanliness: The coveralls!

I went to the local auto parts store and bought some cheapie used shop coveralls. Bright orange just like the '75... You should see me in this getup, I don't know when I've looked goofier (but knowing myself, I'm sure it's more often than I think!)
tongue.gif
-Mac.

closeThread.gif
[/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top noWrap width="17.9%">[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<SCRIPT language=Javascript> <!-- var n54_em; n54_em = ""; n54_em = n54_em + "L";n54_em = n54_em + "a";n54_em = n54_em + "l";n54_em = n54_em + "o";n54_em = n54_em + "@";n54_em = n54_em + "f";n54_em = n54_em + "i";n54_em = n54_em + "a";n54_em = n54_em + "t";n54_em = n54_em + "a";n54_em = n54_em + "m";n54_em = n54_em + "e";n54_em = n54_em + "r";n54_em = n54_em + "i";n54_em = n54_em + "c";n54_em = n54_em + "a";n54_em = n54_em + ".";n54_em = n54_em + "c";n54_em = n54_em + "o";n54_em = n54_em + "m"; document.write("Lalo"); // --> </SCRIPT>Lalo <NOSCRIPT> Lalo </NOSCRIPT>[/FONT]
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial][/FONT]</TD><TD style="PADDING-LEFT: 120px" vAlign=top><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD align=left>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<!-- google_ad_section_start -->My tips...<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

[/FONT][FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial][/FONT]</TD><TD vAlign=top align=right>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]January 14 2000, 1:22 PM [/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD style="PADDING-LEFT: 120px">
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<!-- google_ad_section_start -->MNCS layed it out better than I ever could, so I'll make this short.

BIG item that I can't believe the expert himself left out. Remove the GROUND STRAP. There's nothing worse than sliding 125lbs of transmission off it's final support only to have it hang precariously in the air by the damn ground strap. Ask me how I know. This just goes to show that rookie manuevers are not only for rookies.
happy.gif

I'm surprised that MNCS removes the big honkin' axle nut. I find it easier to remove the allen bolts from BOTH ends and leave the stub axle/rotor/caliper bracket alone. I hear a lot of complaining about the PITA it is to remove the 6mm allens, but I find that when they strip it's either because the dirt was not cleaned out of the head or the user just got sloppy with the ratchet and failed to keep the tool firmly inserted in the hole.

Lastly, if you don't have access to an impact wrench, removing the nuts off the ends of the shafts is easily done by inserting a shop rag in between the meshing teeth of the fifth gears and using a regular breaker bar. The rag gets jammed and locks the shafts from turning. But we'll cross that bridge when we get to it...

-Lalo<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

closeThread.gif
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial][/FONT]</TD><TD style="PADDING-LEFT: 135px" vAlign=top><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD align=left>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<!-- google_ad_section_start -->hmmn, now I'm curious<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

[/FONT][FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial][/FONT]</TD><TD vAlign=top align=right>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]January 14 2000, 3:26 PM [/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD style="PADDING-LEFT: 135px">
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<!-- google_ad_section_start -->Thanks for your addition here Lalo. Now I am curious wether I should dismantle the axle/rotor et al, or wether to try it the way you describe - remove all the cap screws and leave the axle nut alone...

Which way seems that it would be more practical (read: less work)? Comments anyone? -Mac.

closeThread.gif
[/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top noWrap width="17.9%">[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]Mark F[/FONT]
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial][/FONT]</TD><TD style="PADDING-LEFT: 150px" vAlign=top><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD align=left>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<!-- google_ad_section_start -->Leave it together<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

[/FONT][FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial][/FONT]</TD><TD vAlign=top align=right>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]January 14 2000, 4:22 PM [/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD style="PADDING-LEFT: 150px">
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<!-- google_ad_section_start -->The A-arm/hub/rotor/half-shaft/strut assembly is pretty heavy but lots easier to take out as a unit. I've had some serious battles with axle nuts that were won either by using a grinder or a CO2 bottle with regulator cranked wide open...brrrrr!

To get the unit in and out, set the bottom of the hum on a jack, slowly lower and roll it out. The allen bolts for the half-shafts aren't too bad with a decent tool. Keep them clean unless your going to repack the CVs.<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

closeThread.gif
[/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top noWrap width="17.9%">[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]Ulix[/FONT]
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial][/FONT]</TD><TD style="PADDING-LEFT: 150px" vAlign=top><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD align=left>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<!-- google_ad_section_start -->My axle nuts came off ok<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

[/FONT][FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial][/FONT]</TD><TD vAlign=top align=right>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]January 14 2000, 4:39 PM [/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD style="PADDING-LEFT: 150px">
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<!-- google_ad_section_start -->I removed both nuts recently and they may have been in place for 25 years...
I used a socket, breaker bar and a 4 ft. pipe ove it. The handbrake was enough to hold the wheels.
You will have to get the nuts off at one point anyway when the wheel bearings have to be changed...

Ulix
Let's not talk about wheel bearings...<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

closeThread.gif
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial][/FONT]</TD><TD style="PADDING-LEFT: 135px" vAlign=top><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD align=left>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<!-- google_ad_section_start -->What I did forget was...<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

[/FONT][FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial][/FONT]</TD><TD vAlign=top align=right>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]January 16 2000, 4:21 PM [/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD style="PADDING-LEFT: 135px">
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<!-- google_ad_section_start -->Hey Lalo! I remembered the ground strap in time to put a note up for it, but what I did forget to note was the speedo drive.

The speedometer cable is one of the last things I take off. Usually, I will set the transmission in my lap and then use a pair of large, slip joint, pliers to remove it, before setting the tanny aside. I do it this was because it isn't always that easy to get on it with the transmission in place.

Oh, and I remove the axle nut instead of just the outter CV because it takes less time to just undo one nut (easy with an impact) and yank the entire thing out, than to undo the six allen screws.

Steve

closeThread.gif
[/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back