6x national champ

MR2 Info

The MR2 is an '86 prepared for SCCA Solo D Prepared. D Prepared allows the car to be gutted, suspension pickups moved, components are free as long as you retain the same type (Struts in this case) and alternate body panel materials (in this case, aluminum hoods and Lexan windows). Struts are Leda double adjustable with Eibach springs and custom toe links.

Wheels are limited to 7 inches in width (I run 13x7s) and tires are unrestricted. I use Hoosier cantilever slicks on Panasport wheels.

The engine is a the OE 1.6 liter 4AGE with 14:1 JE Pistons, Crower Rods, TRD Crankshaft, Crower Cams, TRD Valvetrain, AEM Cam pulleys, ultra-light aluminum flywheel and twin plate clutch and an Electromotive TEC3 Engine management system. Rev limit is 9000 rpm.

The transmission is a TRD close ratio unit equipped with a TRD clutch type limited slip differential.

The car weights 1750 lbs (the minimum allowed) with ballast.

Pics are here:

http://s28.photobucket.com/albums/c246/stevehoelscher/MR2/?start=0

924367584_20100703-imgp4519.jpg

MR2013.jpg

MR2005.jpg

MR2001.jpg

Cool. Always interesting to see tidbits of a true competition car. Judging by photos, you're running the same width tire front and rear and tune with springs? And looking at the vids, it doesn't appear that you heel/toe downshift? Is that cause your clutch can handle it? Just curious. Thanks.

Oh, maybe time to update your rear window with all the championship years?

Cool. Always interesting to see tidbits of a true competition car. Judging by photos, you're running the same width tire front and rear and tune with springs?

Yes. Tires are R25B (C3000) Hoosier Cantilevers, sized 20x9.5x13. Springs are carefully chosen to balance the car and stick the rear end securely. Additional tuning is done with roll center location and toe settings. The car is very stiffly sprung, as has been my practice. It is actually setup very much like my DSP X1/9.

And looking at the vids, it doesn't appear that you heel/toe downshift? Is that cause your clutch can handle it? Just curious. Thanks.

No, I don't heel-toe. I left foot brake and downshift without the clutch instead.

Its time to update the signature line. :)

nice car

thanks for sharing the specs and once again congratulations on an incredible run of championships

cheers
pete

Great!

Bravo Steve,

Wrong car, but still impressive. And it's a mid-engined car. So you're probably ready for the next step... Canadian championship! I finished dead last in DSP this year (well, it's called DSS here and nearly only suspension modifications and wider wheels are allowed). But I was fighting 3 Type R, 3 recent Civic Si and a 170 hp Impreza who beats me at it's last run. My 75 hp Bertone was completely outpaced in a fast course. Anyway, I was there to get some seat time and I had since on friday it was test and tune and I did 20 runs. The X19 is so light that the Hoosiers were still looking like new after that...

Well, sorry, I was here to congatrulate Steve. Nice to still have you in the forum even if you race a Toyota!

Daniel Forest
Montreal
1980 black X1/9
1987 white X 1/9

Back