'74 Unobtainium and prices

EricH

Eric Hamilton
The FS&W threads about JJay's '74 front grill and the guy who stiffed Chris on the speedo cable started me thinking about stuff that is getting seriously hard to find and doesn't have a decent substitute:

- '74 front grills.
- The choke knob cap. Bayless had two a few years back, listed at $5.00 or so apiece. They sold them and then they weren't any left. I watched another one sell on e-bay after that for close to $40.00.
- The front panel for the instrument cluster (if you want to look through it, that is. Fogged is easy).

These things have in common that they deteriorate and break, so replying on NOS supplies and parts cars doesn't work, and there are no decent substitutes. They'll be gone forever if someone doesn't start making them new again.

Questions: What is the total demand, from now until the heat death of the universe, for these parts? A few hundred at most? What would prices look like if a year's production run is going to be a few tens of units max?

For the cluster cover...

Do you think maybe a headlight resto kit could help with that problem? Seems like the same idea, fogged/faded plastic you sand it down gently and rub/polish it. Just a thought.

51gavusgnblss500.jpg

BTDT :-(

The plastic itself deteriorates. The not-so-great workaround is to build up a replacement out of plexiglass.

Eric... is it snowing in NC or sumthun?

HA!

Yeah... like everything else... the prices will go up as the supplies dwindle.

Manufacturing anything for these cars would be a financial disaster... as even our best suppliers struggle to supply this planet with any augments or repops. That's why we can count them all on ONE hand also!

Unless you are making parts for a Chevy also... don't bother...

For now... for low production or one off stuff you either become a McGwyver, or a Ricardo Borja, or a Tony K... or beg them to do the work for ya. If its electric... see Bob Brown.

Hope you have more sunny days ahead and can get out more! HA!

To think I almost installed the 74 grill in the Dallara but decided that One consistent mesh would work best. I have had a bunch of unobtanium items over the years but have decided to get rid of most of it because of storage costs...I too need one of those clear lenses for the dash... Not sure where to get one...:eek:mg:

Why Not plexiglass?

Why is that "not-so-great"?

Just curious, my '74 X is not here yet (on the truck) and I make stuff out of plastic all the time.

BrianM

The plastic itself deteriorates. The not-so-great workaround is to build up a replacement out of plexiglass.

Unobtainium

Hi,

The choke know button is still hard to find, but some items are back on the market. Like the 1974-78 front spoiler (repros). I had a hard time finding a perfect 1500cc dash, but you could have them repaired.

One of the hardest to find now are the wing tips. Damn, I used to order a pair in spare and I sold them before they became rare!

In the future, one of the thing I believe will increase in value and will become harder to find will be the engine cover since it is hard to reproduce.

Anything else have become impossible to find?

Daniel Forest
1987 white Bertone X1/9
1980 black Fiat X1/9

HA!

For now... for low production or one off stuff you either become a McGwyver, or a Ricardo Borja, or a Tony K... or beg them to do the work for ya. If its electric... see Bob Brown.

Forget the whole Fiat parts thing, I just like the idea of becoming McGwyver... that guy is so cool.

Hard To Find Stuff!!!

Yes....my seats are ripped and badly stained (tan)....1979 X19. Can't find new seat cover at a reasonable price!!! So...I'm looking into an industrial sewing machine!!! If I can't find'em, maybe I'll makem!!!
Count Jack in Wisconsin

Back