'74X Engine Questions (With Pictures!) LONG!

Status
Not open for further replies.

User1

RETIRED Admin, pm OFF
<TABLE cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=6 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD colSpan=2><TABLE width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD style="PADDING-TOP: 4px" vAlign=top colSpan=2>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]'74X Engine Questions (With Pictures!) LONG!<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

[/FONT][FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]June 18 2001 at 11:18 AM[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial][/FONT][/FONT]</TD><TD vAlign=top align=right>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<SCRIPT language=Javascript> <!-- var n54_em; n54_em = ""; n54_em = n54_em + "m";n54_em = n54_em + "s";n54_em = n54_em + "c";n54_em = n54_em + "h";n54_em = n54_em + "a";n54_em = n54_em + "f";n54_em = n54_em + "e";n54_em = n54_em + "@";n54_em = n54_em + "m";n54_em = n54_em + "e";n54_em = n54_em + "d";n54_em = n54_em + "i";n54_em = n54_em + "a";n54_em = n54_em + "o";n54_em = n54_em + "n";n54_em = n54_em + "e";n54_em = n54_em + ".";n54_em = n54_em + "n";n54_em = n54_em + "e";n54_em = n54_em + "t"; document.write("Matt Schafer"); // --> </SCRIPT>Matt Schafer <NOSCRIPT> Matt Schafer </NOSCRIPT> [/FONT]</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=bottom colSpan=3><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD colSpan=3>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<!-- google_ad_section_start -->I have a 1974 X1/9 with 1300cc engine. The charging system is
not working at all. I am so confused by the wiring in this car,
that I am about to cry. Everything is taped up or spliced, and I
can't follow anything. In fact, I found a loose wire today that
I accidently touched to ground, and the carb cooling fan clicked
on. Well anyways.... Here are some things I have questions with.

This I believe is the stock voltage regulator. There is one
wire coming from the alternator and another going to a white
block attached to the carb fan assembly. There is another wire
coming out of this white block going to the coil.

voltage.jpg

The next picture is the carb fan assembly. There is a relay-
like device mounted on here, that has one wire connecting to the
coil and another going nowhere. I found the end deep within the
engine compartment. I am so confused. I'm thinking all I need
is a new voltage regulator, but how do I test this?

voltage2.jpg

Thanks for any help if you can figure out whats going on.

Matt Schafer

-------------
1974 X1/9

<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

[/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellPadding=4 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top noWrap align=left>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial] [/FONT]</TD><TD vAlign=top align=right>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]
closeThread.gif
[/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR><TR><TD>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]Author[/FONT]</TD><TD>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]Reply[/FONT]</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top noWrap width="17.9%">[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<SCRIPT language=Javascript> <!-- var n54_em; n54_em = ""; n54_em = n54_em + "n";n54_em = n54_em + "a";n54_em = n54_em + "t";n54_em = n54_em + "o";n54_em = n54_em + "l";n54_em = n54_em + "i";n54_em = n54_em + "a";n54_em = n54_em + "l";n54_em = n54_em + "@";n54_em = n54_em + "p";n54_em = n54_em + "a";n54_em = n54_em + "c";n54_em = n54_em + "b";n54_em = n54_em + "e";n54_em = n54_em + "l";n54_em = n54_em + "l";n54_em = n54_em + ".";n54_em = n54_em + "n";n54_em = n54_em + "e";n54_em = n54_em + "t"; document.write("Tony Natoli"); // --> </SCRIPT>Tony Natoli <NOSCRIPT> Tony Natoli </NOSCRIPT>[/FONT]
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial][/FONT]</TD><TD style="PADDING-LEFT: 15px" vAlign=top><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD align=left>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<!-- google_ad_section_start -->A '74, huh...<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

[/FONT][FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial][/FONT]</TD><TD vAlign=top align=right>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]June 18 2001, 4:31 PM [/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD style="PADDING-LEFT: 15px">
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<!-- google_ad_section_start -->Well, I've never owned one but I've seen a few...

The Haynes Manual agrees with me... and maybe a few others will also.

A '74 didn't have a carb cooling fan motor!

Rip that sucker out anyway... they are worthless... You will find a few that disagree with me... but not many.

As to your regulator... One wire huh??? I would refer to page 133 of the Haynes manual that shows FIVE wires from the alternator...

They are Marrone... which I think is Maroon and a heavy guage that goes to the starter and recharges the battery.

Then there is Rosso/red, Bianco Nero/White w/green stripe?, Bianco/White... and these THREE go to the Regulator.

Lastly there is a Nero Viola/Green w/ violet stripe, that leads to the dash light.

I would remove all the hardware and wiring from the carb coling fan and rewire the alternator and regulator to the book. I doubt that this coil to fan wire is anything else than what we in the bizz call a HAYWIRE!

I would also find the block number under the exhaust head pipe and see if this is indeed a 1500 motor!

Keep us posted... and if ya don't have a manual, ya probably need to get one. Check out ebay.

Best Regards,

Tony Natoli
TWO '79 X1/9s, one WHITE with 51K(?), one BLACK with 148K and...
BOTH are still steamin' in...
Santa Clarita, CA

[/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=4 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top align=left>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial] [/FONT]</TD><TD vAlign=top noWrap align=right>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]
closeThread.gif
[/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top noWrap width="17.9%">[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]Nathan[/FONT]
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial][/FONT]</TD><TD style="PADDING-LEFT: 30px" vAlign=top><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD align=left>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<!-- google_ad_section_start -->While we are on the topic<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

[/FONT][FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial][/FONT]</TD><TD vAlign=top align=right>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]June 18 2001, 6:01 PM [/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD style="PADDING-LEFT: 30px">
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<!-- google_ad_section_start -->What are the Pros and Cons to losing the carb cooling fan. My fan is toast, the ductwork is missing. I questioned wether I needed it or not. I decided to trash it (My fist modification as a new X owner). What, if anything, am I risking?...

Nathan
'80 X1/9<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

[/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=4 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top align=left>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial] [/FONT]</TD><TD vAlign=top noWrap align=right>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]
closeThread.gif
[/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top noWrap width="17.9%">[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<SCRIPT language=Javascript> <!-- var n54_em; n54_em = ""; n54_em = n54_em + "j";n54_em = n54_em + "u";n54_em = n54_em + "d";n54_em = n54_em + "d";n54_em = n54_em + "m";n54_em = n54_em + "a";n54_em = n54_em + "n";n54_em = n54_em + "@";n54_em = n54_em + "p";n54_em = n54_em + "e";n54_em = n54_em + "c";n54_em = n54_em + "o";n54_em = n54_em + "n";n54_em = n54_em + "i";n54_em = n54_em + "c";n54_em = n54_em + ".";n54_em = n54_em + "n";n54_em = n54_em + "e";n54_em = n54_em + "t"; document.write("Christopher Judd"); // --> </SCRIPT>Christopher Judd <NOSCRIPT> Christopher Judd </NOSCRIPT>[/FONT]
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial][/FONT]</TD><TD style="PADDING-LEFT: 45px" vAlign=top><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD align=left>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<!-- google_ad_section_start -->Vapor lock<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

[/FONT][FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial][/FONT]</TD><TD vAlign=top align=right>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]June 18 2001, 6:49 PM [/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD style="PADDING-LEFT: 45px">
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<!-- google_ad_section_start -->If you run the car in stop and go traffic, in warm weather, or for a run to the store then a good "heat soak" you risk vapor lock with the carb fan inoperable. I used to have a 78 X and the fan would run in the summer for a while after I shut the car down. Never had a problem with vapor lock. The ducting is easy to come by, the wiring is simple, and the carb fan doesn't really weigh that much nor interfere with working on the car too much. Even if it does, it's a quick job to R&R.

closeThread.gif
[/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top noWrap width="17.9%">[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<SCRIPT language=Javascript> <!-- var n54_em; n54_em = ""; n54_em = n54_em + "m";n54_em = n54_em + "s";n54_em = n54_em + "c";n54_em = n54_em + "h";n54_em = n54_em + "a";n54_em = n54_em + "f";n54_em = n54_em + "e";n54_em = n54_em + "@";n54_em = n54_em + "m";n54_em = n54_em + "e";n54_em = n54_em + "d";n54_em = n54_em + "i";n54_em = n54_em + "a";n54_em = n54_em + "o";n54_em = n54_em + "n";n54_em = n54_em + "e";n54_em = n54_em + ".";n54_em = n54_em + "n";n54_em = n54_em + "e";n54_em = n54_em + "t"; document.write("Matt Schafer"); // --> </SCRIPT>Matt Schafer <NOSCRIPT> Matt Schafer </NOSCRIPT>[/FONT]
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial][/FONT]</TD><TD style="PADDING-LEFT: 30px" vAlign=top><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD align=left>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<!-- google_ad_section_start -->Alternator only has 2 posts on it.<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

[/FONT][FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial][/FONT]</TD><TD vAlign=top align=right>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]June 18 2001, 6:18 PM [/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD style="PADDING-LEFT: 30px">
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<!-- google_ad_section_start -->I swear it does. And the voltage regulator only has 2 connections on it also. It has one think brown wire coming out going somewhere, and another going to the regulator. Aaahh! I wish there was someone in my area (MN) that could come over and help me out! As for the engine, seems like an origional. I can't see where to check on the engine though.

Thanks,
Matt

closeThread.gif
[/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top noWrap width="17.9%">[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<SCRIPT language=Javascript> <!-- var n54_em; n54_em = ""; n54_em = n54_em + "d";n54_em = n54_em + "a";n54_em = n54_em + "m";n54_em = n54_em + "o";n54_em = n54_em + "n";n54_em = n54_em + "f";n54_em = n54_em + "g";n54_em = n54_em + "@";n54_em = n54_em + "y";n54_em = n54_em + "a";n54_em = n54_em + "h";n54_em = n54_em + "o";n54_em = n54_em + "o";n54_em = n54_em + ".";n54_em = n54_em + "c";n54_em = n54_em + "o";n54_em = n54_em + "m"; document.write("Damon G (the other one)"); // --> </SCRIPT>Damon G (the other one) <NOSCRIPT> Damon G (the other one) </NOSCRIPT>[/FONT]
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial][/FONT]</TD><TD style="PADDING-LEFT: 45px" vAlign=top><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD align=left>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<!-- google_ad_section_start -->regulator connex<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

[/FONT][FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial][/FONT]</TD><TD vAlign=top align=right>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]June 19 2001, 10:17 AM [/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD style="PADDING-LEFT: 45px">
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<!-- google_ad_section_start -->
I'll rummage around tonight I still have the old
vibrator style regulator from my 74, as well as
the old wiring diagrams.

I'd figure there are only 2 wires from the
regulator to the alternator, and 2(?) others
from the reg but don't let me put my foot in
my mouth yet.

-d<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

closeThread.gif
[/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top noWrap width="17.9%">[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]Brad[/FONT]
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial][/FONT]</TD><TD style="PADDING-LEFT: 30px" vAlign=top><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD align=left>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<!-- google_ad_section_start -->'74s did have a carb cooling fan...<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

[/FONT][FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial][/FONT]</TD><TD vAlign=top align=right>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]June 18 2001, 7:34 PM [/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD style="PADDING-LEFT: 30px">
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<!-- google_ad_section_start -->which I remember mainly due to a number of well-meaning dip****s who I'd catch trying to pry the engine compartment lid up on my '74 to "shut it off". You run the risk of vapor lock, etc. without (I think anyway).<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

closeThread.gif
[/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top noWrap width="17.9%">[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<SCRIPT language=Javascript> <!-- var n54_em; n54_em = ""; n54_em = n54_em + "f";n54_em = n54_em + "i";n54_em = n54_em + "a";n54_em = n54_em + "t";n54_em = n54_em + "8";n54_em = n54_em + "5";n54_em = n54_em + "0";n54_em = n54_em + "@";n54_em = n54_em + "e";n54_em = n54_em + "a";n54_em = n54_em + "r";n54_em = n54_em + "t";n54_em = n54_em + "h";n54_em = n54_em + "l";n54_em = n54_em + "i";n54_em = n54_em + "n";n54_em = n54_em + "k";n54_em = n54_em + ".";n54_em = n54_em + "n";n54_em = n54_em + "e";n54_em = n54_em + "t"; document.write("Jeff Stich"); // --> </SCRIPT>Jeff Stich <NOSCRIPT> Jeff Stich </NOSCRIPT>[/FONT]
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial][/FONT]</TD><TD style="PADDING-LEFT: 45px" vAlign=top><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD align=left>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<!-- google_ad_section_start -->Yep, sure does!<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

[/FONT][FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial][/FONT]</TD><TD vAlign=top align=right>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]June 19 2001, 2:23 AM [/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD style="PADDING-LEFT: 45px">
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<!-- google_ad_section_start -->My friend's '74 X also has the carb fan & related gadgetry (& we KNOW the car was bone-stock when he bought it).

BTW - "Marrone" in Italian translates to "Brown" in English, not "Maroon" (check the wiring diagrams in your Fiat Owner's Manual).

Cheers,
Jeff S.<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

closeThread.gif
[/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top noWrap width="17.9%">[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<SCRIPT language=Javascript> <!-- var n54_em; n54_em = ""; n54_em = n54_em + "j";n54_em = n54_em + "u";n54_em = n54_em + "l";n54_em = n54_em + "i";n54_em = n54_em + "a";n54_em = n54_em + "n";n54_em = n54_em + "@";n54_em = n54_em + "t";n54_em = n54_em + "h";n54_em = n54_em + "e";n54_em = n54_em + "-";n54_em = n54_em + "l";n54_em = n54_em + "a";n54_em = n54_em + "i";n54_em = n54_em + "r";n54_em = n54_em + ".";n54_em = n54_em + "d";n54_em = n54_em + "e";n54_em = n54_em + "m";n54_em = n54_em + "o";n54_em = n54_em + "n";n54_em = n54_em + ".";n54_em = n54_em + "c";n54_em = n54_em + "o";n54_em = n54_em + ".";n54_em = n54_em + "u";n54_em = n54_em + "k"; document.write("Julian"); // --> </SCRIPT>Julian <NOSCRIPT> Julian </NOSCRIPT>[/FONT]
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial][/FONT]</TD><TD style="PADDING-LEFT: 45px" vAlign=top><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD align=left>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<!-- google_ad_section_start -->Late addition<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

[/FONT][FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial][/FONT]</TD><TD vAlign=top align=right>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]June 19 2001, 5:53 AM [/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD style="PADDING-LEFT: 45px">
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<!-- google_ad_section_start -->The fitting of carb cooling fans was something of a hit-or-miss affair on "earlier" models.

I don't think it really became standard until about '76. I know for a fact that ALL of the last 1300s had them but there is an awful lot of contradictary information on anything before that.

The issue of cooling the carb is a little tricky. It is fairly obvious that keeping the carb cool when the rest of the engine is cooking should be an essential not an option. Afterall petrol IS volatile.

How much good the fan does is another matter altogether. The fans certainly pump a fair volume of air over the carb, more importantly over the float chamber but it is a losing battle when you consider the level of heat rising through the manifold - which just happens to be part of the cooling circuit and hence holds a substantial level of energy (heat) once the engine is hot.

Ironically the thing that seems to make the biggest difference ISN'T the cooling fan, it is the large air filter housing above the carb. These seem to collect the rising hot air, take the filter housing off (replacing it with a suitable, smaller alternative) and the heat soak into the carb seems to diminish substantially. There is probably much more to it than JUST the heat soak but the evidence certainly points to the housing being a major culprit.

Without the cooling fan and filter housing the problem of heat soak (and hence vapour lock) seems to vanish. This doesn't get around problems with the rest of the engine though, but the cooling fan isn't helping them either.....

Julian
=======================================
Visit the lair: [URL="http://www.the-lair.demon.co.uk/"]http://www.the-lair.demon.co.uk [/URL]<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

closeThread.gif
[/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top noWrap width="17.9%">[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<SCRIPT language=Javascript> <!-- var n54_em; n54_em = ""; n54_em = n54_em + "c";n54_em = n54_em + "g";n54_em = n54_em + "a";n54_em = n54_em + "r";n54_em = n54_em + "r";n54_em = n54_em + "a";n54_em = n54_em + "t";n54_em = n54_em + "t";n54_em = n54_em + "@";n54_em = n54_em + "t";n54_em = n54_em + "w";n54_em = n54_em + "c";n54_em = n54_em + "n";n54_em = n54_em + "y";n54_em = n54_em + ".";n54_em = n54_em + "r";n54_em = n54_em + "r";n54_em = n54_em + ".";n54_em = n54_em + "c";n54_em = n54_em + "o";n54_em = n54_em + "m"; document.write("Christopher Garratt"); // --> </SCRIPT>Christopher Garratt <NOSCRIPT> Christopher Garratt </NOSCRIPT>[/FONT]
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial][/FONT]</TD><TD style="PADDING-LEFT: 45px" vAlign=top><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD align=left>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<!-- google_ad_section_start -->Mine has one too...<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

[/FONT][FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial][/FONT]</TD><TD vAlign=top align=right>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]June 22 2001, 4:25 AM [/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD style="PADDING-LEFT: 45px">
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<!-- google_ad_section_start -->I have a 74 and it too has a carb cooling fan...<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

closeThread.gif
[/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top noWrap width="17.9%">[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<SCRIPT language=Javascript> <!-- var n54_em; n54_em = ""; n54_em = n54_em + "d";n54_em = n54_em + "b";n54_em = n54_em + "e";n54_em = n54_em + "a";n54_em = n54_em + "m";n54_em = n54_em + "1";n54_em = n54_em + "1";n54_em = n54_em + "@";n54_em = n54_em + "h";n54_em = n54_em + "o";n54_em = n54_em + "m";n54_em = n54_em + "e";n54_em = n54_em + ".";n54_em = n54_em + "c";n54_em = n54_em + "o";n54_em = n54_em + "m"; document.write("Doug Beam"); // --> </SCRIPT>Doug Beam <NOSCRIPT> Doug Beam </NOSCRIPT>[/FONT]
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial][/FONT]</TD><TD style="PADDING-LEFT: 15px" vAlign=top><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD align=left>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<!-- google_ad_section_start -->wiring info<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

[/FONT][FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial][/FONT]</TD><TD vAlign=top align=right>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]June 19 2001, 7:41 AM [/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD style="PADDING-LEFT: 15px">
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<!-- google_ad_section_start -->Matt, here is the info I gleaned from my as far as I know stock wiring.
Cooling fan and relay(mounted on pass side of fan box)
red wire from fan to term 87 on relay
black wire from fan to ground(fan mounting stud)
gray/red wire on term 85 on relay
single brown wire on term 86 on relay
one fat brown wire and one small brown wire on term 30/51 on relay.

My voltage regulator is mounted the upper corner of the pass side of eng comp. The plug going into it has three terminals. If you look closely you can see markings df, d+ and d-
df is white, d+ is 2 purple and black wires, d- is white and black.
according to the print, these should go to the terminals marked the same on the alternator, but I didnt take cover off alt to confirm. print also shows b+ term on alt to pos on battery, but not directly. If this isnt enough let me know and I can scan the whole schematic.<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

closeThread.gif
[/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top noWrap width="17.9%">[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<SCRIPT language=Javascript> <!-- var n54_em; n54_em = ""; n54_em = n54_em + "n";n54_em = n54_em + "a";n54_em = n54_em + "t";n54_em = n54_em + "o";n54_em = n54_em + "l";n54_em = n54_em + "i";n54_em = n54_em + "a";n54_em = n54_em + "l";n54_em = n54_em + "@";n54_em = n54_em + "p";n54_em = n54_em + "a";n54_em = n54_em + "c";n54_em = n54_em + "b";n54_em = n54_em + "e";n54_em = n54_em + "l";n54_em = n54_em + "l";n54_em = n54_em + ".";n54_em = n54_em + "n";n54_em = n54_em + "e";n54_em = n54_em + "t"; document.write("Tony Natoli"); // --> </SCRIPT>Tony Natoli <NOSCRIPT> Tony Natoli </NOSCRIPT>[/FONT]
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial][/FONT]</TD><TD style="PADDING-LEFT: 15px" vAlign=top><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD align=left>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<!-- google_ad_section_start -->To Summarize, Matt...<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

[/FONT][FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial][/FONT]</TD><TD vAlign=top align=right>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]June 19 2001, 11:05 AM [/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD style="PADDING-LEFT: 15px">
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<!-- google_ad_section_start -->After readin all the threads... we have come up with SWORN testimony that:

1. '74 Regulators come with between 1 and 5 wires
2. The wiring can be any color...
3. All '74s came with Carb Fans
4. Some did't...
5. Removing the Carb Fan will increase the chance of vapor-lock.
6. Removing the fan apparently has no effect except to save weight and decrease the chance of running down the battery.
7. Haynes Manuals have a listing of engine serial numbers for the specific year car.
8. The only consistency you will find between FIATS of the same year, or any year, whether its a Bertone or not, is its still a ?*#@^%#$ FIAT!

In conclusion:

Now owning TWO '79s that are quite different...(One is a CA car, the other a 49 State Car... and with over 100,000 miles on the same engine in LA traffic, 110 degrees to altitudes of 7000 feet... I have NEVER experienced a vapor-lock problem... and haven't run a fan since 1984~!

Looks like you'll need to make a decision... neither will be wrong... and as Chris said, it ain't much to wire right... just don't take and UNFUSED power lead off the ignition coil!

Good luck and...

Best Regards,

Tony Natoli
Santa Clarita, CA

closeThread.gif
[/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top noWrap width="17.9%">[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]Nathan[/FONT]
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial][/FONT]</TD><TD style="PADDING-LEFT: 30px" vAlign=top><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD align=left>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<!-- google_ad_section_start -->Gamble?<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

[/FONT][FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial][/FONT]</TD><TD vAlign=top align=right>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]June 19 2001, 4:12 PM [/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD style="PADDING-LEFT: 30px">
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<!-- google_ad_section_start -->Since I live in Maine, the winter is 8 months long (or so it seems this long), there is no stop and go traffic (unless you get caught behind a herd of cows or farmer Joe's tractor), and the temp never gets above 90°, and I plan to replace the filter with a K&N or equivalent, I am going to risk it without the cooling fan. If I end up on the side of the road one day due to vapor lock, I will let you all know, and you all can be the first to say 'I TOLD YOU SO!!!'

Nathan
'80 X1/9<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

closeThread.gif
[/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top noWrap width="17.9%">[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<SCRIPT language=Javascript> <!-- var n54_em; n54_em = ""; n54_em = n54_em + "m";n54_em = n54_em + "s";n54_em = n54_em + "c";n54_em = n54_em + "h";n54_em = n54_em + "a";n54_em = n54_em + "f";n54_em = n54_em + "e";n54_em = n54_em + "@";n54_em = n54_em + "m";n54_em = n54_em + "e";n54_em = n54_em + "d";n54_em = n54_em + "i";n54_em = n54_em + "a";n54_em = n54_em + "o";n54_em = n54_em + "n";n54_em = n54_em + "e";n54_em = n54_em + ".";n54_em = n54_em + "n";n54_em = n54_em + "e";n54_em = n54_em + "t"; document.write("Matt Schafer"); // --> </SCRIPT>Matt Schafer <NOSCRIPT> Matt Schafer </NOSCRIPT>[/FONT]
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial][/FONT]</TD><TD style="PADDING-LEFT: 15px" vAlign=top><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD align=left>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<!-- google_ad_section_start -->Thanks Everyone - I try to work it out!<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

[/FONT][FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial][/FONT]</TD><TD vAlign=top align=right>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]June 19 2001, 1:10 PM [/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD style="PADDING-LEFT: 15px">
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<!-- google_ad_section_start -->So very confusing. Oh well, I should have known when buying this car there will be wiring problems. The wiring on this car is so screwed up i'm really suprised it works at all!

Matt Schafer

closeThread.gif
[/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top noWrap width="17.9%">[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]lezesig[/FONT]
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial][/FONT]</TD><TD style="PADDING-LEFT: 30px" vAlign=top><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD align=left>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<!-- google_ad_section_start -->Suggestion ?<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

[/FONT][FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial][/FONT]</TD><TD vAlign=top align=right>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]June 19 2001, 4:03 PM [/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD style="PADDING-LEFT: 30px">
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<!-- google_ad_section_start -->Matt,
The wiring can be solved. Here's how I did it. Perhaps you have found an easier way.

Tools required- Copier, A valid wiring shematic, Set of colored pencils, ERASER.

Time required....oh, about two weeks of free time. Sleep is over rated.

Given1. The schematic is correct believe it or not. The schematic is very, very efficient in its choice of layout. This at first will seem complex. By day four their logic will make sense.

Given2. They loved the use of jumpers. Very efficient.

Methodology:

1- Copy the entire schematic 10 times. That shoud give you about four 8 x 11 pages per set.

2- Put each set copy in its own folder.

3- Identify each circuit you would be interested in knowing/learning. i.e. The carb cooling fan circuit, the alternator charging circuit, the starter circuit, the radio circuit, the headlamp circuit, the guage illumination circuit, etc.

4- Title each folder with the individual circuit you want to highlight and identify.

5- Get the colored pencils out and have fun. Work one folder at a time until a complete circuit is isolated all the way from the battery to the user then back to ground. Do not branch into adjacent circuitry. That's what the eraser is for. If two colors are used on one wire then use two different colored dashes to identify that one wire.

I compared the end results of this task to what was actually on the auto and found zero difference. It is *accurate. Complex somewhat...but accurate.

This will put you back to standard. Should make it easier to find where the previous owner might have jumped and spliced.

* Results so far.

Hint: When two wires of the same color are in the circuit and each is the same line thickness then notice how they are stacked on the page. The same stack sequence will be adhered to throughout the design layout.

out for now,
lezesig '79 X 1/9 <!-- google_ad_section_end -->

closeThread.gif
[/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top noWrap width="17.9%">[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<SCRIPT language=Javascript> <!-- var n54_em; n54_em = ""; n54_em = n54_em + "n";n54_em = n54_em + "a";n54_em = n54_em + "t";n54_em = n54_em + "o";n54_em = n54_em + "l";n54_em = n54_em + "i";n54_em = n54_em + "a";n54_em = n54_em + "l";n54_em = n54_em + "@";n54_em = n54_em + "p";n54_em = n54_em + "a";n54_em = n54_em + "c";n54_em = n54_em + "b";n54_em = n54_em + "e";n54_em = n54_em + "l";n54_em = n54_em + "l";n54_em = n54_em + ".";n54_em = n54_em + "n";n54_em = n54_em + "e";n54_em = n54_em + "t"; document.write("Tony Natoli"); // --> </SCRIPT>Tony Natoli <NOSCRIPT> Tony Natoli </NOSCRIPT>[/FONT]
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial][/FONT]</TD><TD style="PADDING-LEFT: 45px" vAlign=top><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD align=left>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<!-- google_ad_section_start -->Watch out Matt, this guy is nuts...<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

[/FONT][FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial][/FONT]</TD><TD vAlign=top align=right>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]June 19 2001, 6:20 PM [/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD style="PADDING-LEFT: 45px">
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<!-- google_ad_section_start -->And it takes one to know one!

He's a wiring FANATIC and does work only GOD could duplicate!

You haven't mentioned the SCHEMATIC you are using yet... so I purposely shy-ed away from your temp guage, fan question.

Give me a reference and what you have looked at and we can go from there. If you haven't a schematic or Haynes Manual... we can get you one or help get you one.

Take care...

Best Regards,

Tony Natoli
Santa Clarita, CA

closeThread.gif
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial][/FONT]</TD><TD style="PADDING-LEFT: 60px" vAlign=top><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD align=left>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<!-- google_ad_section_start -->Ok, I confess - I have a Hayens book, still no help though.<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

[/FONT][FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial][/FONT]</TD><TD vAlign=top align=right>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]June 19 2001, 7:16 PM [/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD style="PADDING-LEFT: 60px">
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<!-- google_ad_section_start -->I've attempted to follow everything they say in there, but I still can't figure it out. Mabey i'm just stupid.

Matt

closeThread.gif
[/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top noWrap width="17.9%">[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<SCRIPT language=Javascript> <!-- var n54_em; n54_em = ""; n54_em = n54_em + "d";n54_em = n54_em + "o";n54_em = n54_em + "n";n54_em = n54_em + "a";n54_em = n54_em + "l";n54_em = n54_em + "d";n54_em = n54_em + ".";n54_em = n54_em + "g";n54_em = n54_em + "r";n54_em = n54_em + "e";n54_em = n54_em + "e";n54_em = n54_em + "n";n54_em = n54_em + "@";n54_em = n54_em + "e";n54_em = n54_em + "d";n54_em = n54_em + "w";n54_em = n54_em + "a";n54_em = n54_em + "r";n54_em = n54_em + "d";n54_em = n54_em + "s";n54_em = n54_em + ".";n54_em = n54_em + "a";n54_em = n54_em + "f";n54_em = n54_em + ".";n54_em = n54_em + "m";n54_em = n54_em + "i";n54_em = n54_em + "l"; document.write("Don Green"); // --> </SCRIPT>Don Green <NOSCRIPT> Don Green </NOSCRIPT>[/FONT]
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial][/FONT]</TD><TD style="PADDING-LEFT: 75px" vAlign=top><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD align=left>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<!-- google_ad_section_start -->There IS an answer!<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

[/FONT][FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial][/FONT]</TD><TD vAlign=top align=right>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]June 20 2001, 7:32 AM [/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD style="PADDING-LEFT: 75px">
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<!-- google_ad_section_start -->As a proud owner of my second '74, I can assure you there is a way to resolve your wiring problems. The MOST IMPORTANT is to get the FACTORY schematic - I have found it to be accurate in all aspects. With my second '74 (currently being reworked, especially the PO's unique wiring modifications), the factory schematic has become my touchstone. How do I get one, you ask. An outfit here in So. Cal. has it! Steven at Import Restorations & Parts (e-mail rstrforu@aol.com) has the schematic, and will send you a copy for a small ($10 + postage) fee. Worth it's weight in gold! It shows the harnesses, wire colors (with translations), interconnections, etc. The second most important thing is to get the original shop manual for '74s - worth it's weight in gold for everything else on the car. I found mine at books4cars.com - based in Seattle. A little pricey, but indespensable. Good Hunting!

Don Green<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

closeThread.gif
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial][/FONT]</TD><TD style="PADDING-LEFT: 75px" vAlign=top><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD align=left>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<!-- google_ad_section_start -->OK!<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

[/FONT][FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial][/FONT]</TD><TD vAlign=top align=right>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]June 20 2001, 9:47 AM [/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD style="PADDING-LEFT: 75px">
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<!-- google_ad_section_start -->Now that we both have the same MAP... we can talk and make reference to how it CAN be wired, or SHOULD be wired... to make it work.

Ditto with Don Green's idea.

I have one more 20 pager I could send you via e-mail and like Les was suggesting... it has INDIVIDUAL circuits. Its for a BERTONE and may end up being more confusing for ya... but many circuits work philosophically in the same manner...

Let me know if ya want it and I'll send it out

I'll go back to the other thread and see if I can give you a hand with the fan motor and guage.

Best Regards,

Tony Natoli
Santa Clarita, CA

closeThread.gif
[/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top noWrap width="17.9%">[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<SCRIPT language=Javascript> <!-- var n54_em; n54_em = ""; n54_em = n54_em + "r";n54_em = n54_em + "o";n54_em = n54_em + "b";n54_em = n54_em + "o";n54_em = n54_em + "r";n54_em = n54_em + "o";n54_em = n54_em + "d";n54_em = n54_em + "@";n54_em = n54_em + "h";n54_em = n54_em + "o";n54_em = n54_em + "t";n54_em = n54_em + "m";n54_em = n54_em + "a";n54_em = n54_em + "i";n54_em = n54_em + "l";n54_em = n54_em + ".";n54_em = n54_em + "c";n54_em = n54_em + "o";n54_em = n54_em + "m"; document.write("rp"); // --> </SCRIPT>rp <NOSCRIPT> rp </NOSCRIPT>[/FONT]
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial][/FONT]</TD><TD style="PADDING-LEFT: 90px" vAlign=top><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD align=left>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<!-- google_ad_section_start -->20 pager on bertone<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

[/FONT][FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial][/FONT]</TD><TD vAlign=top align=right>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]September 11 2001, 11:58 PM [/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD style="PADDING-LEFT: 90px">
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<!-- google_ad_section_start -->Hello new to the group. I am having a heating problem.
I start my 85 bertone FI let it run at idle for about 5 min then the temp gauge hits the roof. Replaced the thermostat but that didn't help. Removed the water pump. It looked good. Ran water through the block looked good. Ran water through radiator looked good.
I put it all back together. No change.
Vick's autosports told me the sensor on the thermostat housing is for the fi system. Is this right?
What is the location of the sensor for the gauge?
Can anyone help.
RP
85 BERTONE<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

closeThread.gif
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial][/FONT]</TD><TD style="PADDING-LEFT: 105px" vAlign=top><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD align=left>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<!-- google_ad_section_start -->I guess your question is... where is the Temp Guage Sensor?<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

[/FONT][FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial][/FONT]</TD><TD vAlign=top align=right>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]September 12 2001, 11:28 AM [/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD style="PADDING-LEFT: 105px">
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<!-- google_ad_section_start -->My first question is... why do you wanna know? Do you not trust what its saying.

Are you implying your engine is NOT overheating and the guage is wrong?

If so... I kinda doubt it. I lost a water pump belt once and as soon as I heard it fling off... I watched the guage go up into redline.

It sure sounds like you have a circulation problem to me.

I would try removing the thermostat altogether and see what happens... if there is no change... overheats in 5 minutes... I would then pull the radiator and have it professionally looked at.

BTW... The sensor for the temp guage is located between plugs 2 and 3 on the firewall side of the engine.

Let us know what ya find.

Tony

Best Regards,

Tony Natoli, Two '79s, WHITE FANG and BLACK TOOTH
Santa Clarita, CA, http://americanx19.tripod.com/owner.htm<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

closeThread.gif
[/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top noWrap width="17.9%">[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]JP Smith[/FONT]
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial][/FONT]</TD><TD style="PADDING-LEFT: 45px" vAlign=top><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD align=left>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<!-- google_ad_section_start -->Excellant Idea<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

[/FONT][FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial][/FONT]</TD><TD vAlign=top align=right>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]June 20 2001, 6:33 AM [/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD style="PADDING-LEFT: 45px">
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<!-- google_ad_section_start -->Lezesig. I have all the wiring diagrams and it's a real pain sometimes following a circuit when your in a hurry. Next winter when my exxey is in storage that's going to be one of my projects. Thanks again for that suggestion. JP<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

closeThread.gif
[/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top noWrap width="17.9%">[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]Stu Brennan[/FONT]
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial][/FONT]</TD><TD style="PADDING-LEFT: 60px" vAlign=top><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD align=left>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<!-- google_ad_section_start -->Electrical Suggestion.<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

[/FONT][FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial][/FONT]</TD><TD vAlign=top align=right>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]June 20 2001, 12:24 PM [/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD style="PADDING-LEFT: 60px">
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<!-- google_ad_section_start -->I had my alt. fail on my 78 1.3 and I replaced it with a alt. from a toyota pickup (60 amps.) and used a chev. voltage regulator to control voltage. This gives me a higher output and easily (cheaply) replaced alt and reg. I also found that I can now change the belt easily since I made an adjustment device for the new alt. Purists may shudder but I can now run 4 driving lights plus headlights which helps show up the deer on the road well in advance.
Stu<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

closeThread.gif
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial][/FONT]</TD><TD style="PADDING-LEFT: 75px" vAlign=top><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD align=left>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<!-- google_ad_section_start -->Stu... can ya give us part numbers or model years?<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

[/FONT][FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial][/FONT]</TD><TD vAlign=top align=right>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]June 21 2001, 10:28 AM [/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD style="PADDING-LEFT: 75px">
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<!-- google_ad_section_start -->I've seen/heard of many of these swaps but have always had my original rebuilt as I don't know where to start to look for a replacement.

Even if you tell us the Alt fits a 74 Toy Camry or whatever... it'll give us a start... and the regulator part number.

Thanx...

Best Regards,

Tony Natoli
Santa Clarita, CA

closeThread.gif
[/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back