'78 1300 Signature Series # 0924

Eastep

True Classic
I'll try to make this brief. Financial crisis is forcing the sake of my beloved X. Most here know of the car and have seen it first hand. As mentioned it's a 1300. The car had 39k original miles on it, body is strait and very nice paint, car was stripped for a bare metal respray in 08-09, steel wheels wrapped in very good Sumi's and KYB's at all 4 corners. motor has a built a performance head from Matt Brannon/Midwest-Bayless with 34/34 DATR on 1500 manifold and exits through a 4 to 1 header with custom piping into a quad tipped Empi exhaust with only 4 k on all the above. Other features are the much coveted insertable headlight mod by Bob Brown, 11.5-12in vintage steering wheel, recolored/refurbed seats. Interior is very tidy, but was my next area of restoration. Belts tensioner and water pump replaced last year and also have only 4k on them as well. Motor also has new plugs, wires, cap and
points. I have everything needed for an electronic dizzy swap and was planning to do this in the spring. Parts for swap are dizzy, discharge box, cap, rotor, wiring harness & hardware. And will be included if full asking price is reached. The best part of the car had to be the extensive history of service and parts. This was done mostly by me, but also has some very great bits from the PO (2nd owner) and even has the original Dealer Title from the first owner purchasing it in 1978!!
Now for the bad: it's not running. Last winter I tore the engine apart at around 34k and with the help of Dave May, rebuilt the engine for s performance stand point with the parts above. After running for about 4k miles the new head gasket blew. I suspect this was due to s too lean of carb setting. I then took the engine apart again and replaced the head gasket and reassembled it. I believe timing is what is holding this car back as it was running after but very poorly and not generating enough spark to even power the timing light to fix this issue. The only other issue is slight damage to the scallop and chin spoiler from a tow dolly. These issues are extremely trivial and minor. THE ONLY reason I'm selling and especially at such a loss is bec with non steady work/pay I now face not making rent this month and my X is the only asset I own :( any $ made from the sale will goto rent and bills and hopefully provide a nest egg so I'm not in this position next month while I secure steady employment. Asking $2500 Obo

My thoughts are with you

Sorry to hear this. I wish you well. Good luck. I hope you will stay in touch through this forum.

Stephen

Hey Mike,

Can you post photos of the front spoiler as it is, and the overall car as well?
I've not seen it since you left my house in New Hampshire a couple years back.

Is the car still dis-assembled?

Sorry to hear about the job situation.

Rocky road

Having been in your position a few years ago I know first hand what you are experiencing. Remember that things change and as long as you have your health you have wealth.

How much is your rent?

I'd be happy to send you $50 and maybe a few other here could help out also. Its not charity its brotherhood and being human.

PM me your mailing address.

If you don't have the distributor package installed, would you send it separately. PM about the price. Could help....

Wow I don't know what to say guys. Thank you so much! This is truely the best group of people and friends I've ever had the privaldge of knowing. Please don't be offended, but I feel I must decline your offers and exhaust every other possible avenue i can do myself first. I hope you all can understand this. I hope it goes without saying that you all know I will do anything I can to help any one of y'all.

Bob : the car has not changed at all since you last seen it ... Well minus the spoiler incident :wall: and the darker colored interior which I detailed in a DIY thread I made. The motor is not torn apart now, and turns over and ran... Then ran poorly after I attempted setting the timing. I believe it might just be 180* out and in need of a new coil or burned out points. I was going to do the electric dizzy swap this spring, but life changed and here we are having this conversation instead. I'll post up pics as the car sits now tomorrow if I can get out to the storage unit.

Thanks again for the best wishes and generosty and friendship that has always been overflowing here, and why I've milled around here for so many years and always come back.

Good luck with the sale!!! Post it on Craigs list too!

I wish I knew you were selling before last week I might have changed my mind!!
I just bought an 83' and am getting it tomorrow.

Good luck! and thanks for all of your years in service in Xweb!

Thanks for the responses. I will sell the dizzy setup separate if the interested parties either don't want it or if negotiations dictate it's availability. Thanks

Trying to help out...

Mike, sorry to see you have to sell this. I've been in your position before and know exactly what it's like... hang in there, things will get better.

I'm posting a few pics of Mike's car to hopefully help out a little. These were taken shortly after he got it and before all the aforementioned work he's done or the front spoiler damage. I'll have to check in the evening when I have more time, but I don't think I have any others from different angles. I haven't seen the car in its current state and don't have recent pictures.

4962881152_c105543275_b.jpg

4962881232_19474510e7_b.jpg

4962881284_434e4d611e_b.jpg

Mike, if you need help taking/posting some more recent pictures let me know and maybe I could swing by sometime to snap and post some.

Good luck with the sale.

More Pics

Found some from the rear end. Again, before the work and exhaust system he mentions in the first post.

b223657764.jpg

w223657765.jpg

When I saw it it was a very clean car.

Thanks for the interest and support everyone. I apologize for the lack of response on my side. The car has been sold and will be in great hands and staying in the family with our very own Thomas B. (thank you Thomas)

This is why I...

...have been taking my yellow X down a bit earlier than I was planning to. I have been in similar situations and XWeb folks have helped me thru them.

Well...

Sad that you had to sell it but happy it stayed within the fam and is getting a good home. Sending good juju your way Eastep!

I'm very happy that the car is going to Thomas, and will inevitably have the expertise of Matt and the rest of the Midwest crew at it's disposal.

Back