'81 x1/9 engine swap questions

Otep

first off, thank you for looking at my first post.

I have two x1/9s :D the one that is in semi-running conditions (3 or 4 years ago?) is an 81. the questions i have are semi-technical but any response is very much appreciated!

a little insight about the purpose of the x is in order. my grandfather was the one who put the idea in my head mind you! my grandfather was massivly into off road rallies. so i wanted to make this into a drift car. enough on the background, here are my questions.

1) The 91 mr2 single turbo motor is damn near bolt in as far as i've been lead to believe. both cars are MRs (mid engine, rear wheel drive) similiar in size and shape etc.

how well (and easily for that matter) dose this engine swap work?

2) the 13b... i remember reading about a rotary x1/9 in California a few years back but the owner never responded to my e-mails :( but, what trans, gear box, drive shaft etc is also needed to make this work?

also, how would the engine mount and sit in the rear of the car. before or after the axle? will this mess with the weight distribution way too much?

again, thank you for your time reading though this and thank you in advance for any and all help!

-Will

!

Bayless has a section detailing this swap. Plus there are lots of posts here talking aout it as well. Do a search and see what pops up.

85 to 89 MR2

is a closer match as far as power plants. The 2nd generation MR2's were equipped with the larger 3S-GE engine. I wonder if it would fit as the turbo version of this engine puts out 200hp.

I wonder if it would fit as the turbo version of this engine puts out 200hp.

that is the same thing i was wondering :) hence why i asked about the 2nd gen. i specified the 91 (because that was what i was looking at in the JDM websites) but there is atleast 3 2nd gen mr2 motors for sale at any time in so cal :D

the handeling may change a tad but i'd believe it'd be manageable, the power would increase and smog wise; they would love it if i put a newer engine into it :) plus, it would be ten billion times easier to get mr2 parts then x1/9 parts where i live

if someone has the engine "bay" dimentions for that make of x1/9 i could possibly cross refence that to an mr2

I've been doing a LOT of research

as well as shopping on the JDM sites. Do a search for your favorite jdm site name and review. I was surprised at the number of sites that had shady dealings and unsatisfied customers. Some are fine. Still researching things myself. If you do go with the supercharged engine, kiss the rear trunk goodbye! Intercooler has to go somewhere! That reminds me: there's a recent post showing a facebook website with a lot of X pics. A few of those were swaps with intercoolers. Worth a look!

I am almost finished my 20 valve 4age install. (very similar in size to the early mr2 motor) I had to fabricate a new exhaust manifold, and intake manifold to make it fit with out cutting into the fire wall or the boot.if you are prepared to lose the boot and possibly alter the fire wall, then the only concern would be the length of the motor and box. The 20 valve is very tight between the rails of an x19.

Back