'82 X1/9 located in Toronto, ON Canada (not mine)

HP

1982 FI X1/9 got 75 hp. But they also got much more torque than the carbureted cars wich make them more easy to drive.

Daniel Forest
1987, FI Bertone X1/9
1980, twin carbed, Fiat X1/9
Montréal, Canada

Interesting....

You would think that FI would give you a boost, but I guess not. My main concern with this car is that it is all original. Some ways a good thing, some ways not. My worry is that car will need lots of work in the near future. If the rear ball joints need replacing we all know what that means. With 150K and no engine work ever done, its coming up on an engine job. If you want to get more HP, you need to remove all the smog stuff, probably new head, pistons, rings, cam, etc. Since it would have to pass safety and I've just been though that, a few things can cost a lot. Struts and springs, ball joints, tires, etc. I'm learning quickly that a few things can cost a lot as I'm in the middle of an engine job now. You can do things on the cheap, but my personality is that if its all apart, now is the time to make some upgrades. Nice car, but I could easily spend 5K on it in a real hurry. Tough call as it is a very nice clean example of a totally stock X, which is hard to find these days.

Yes please....

As some one who just bought a "restored" car with a completely rebuilt engine and just lost the motor due to a wrong bolt, yeah, I'm feeling a little burned at the moment. Having to drop 3K or more for the engine rebuild maybe more, if I have to get someone to do it, I'm not real happy. Please forgive me. As I said, a totally original car has its good points and bad points. At $8,000 with 150,000 kms, things are going to need to be done. I wouldn't want to have to spend another 5K in the next year or two and that's a real possibility with that car. But I do know the old adage, you pays your money and you takes your chances. This time it don't work out for me. Maybe at $6,000 I would buy this car, maybe not. Having said all that, it is a very nice, clean example of an X and it should find a home quickly. If you were closer you could bring over something a little stronger and help me drown my sorrows:) Cheers....

Back