850 distributor advance

HazN

True Classic
Does anyone have the advance specs for the 843 and the 903 mechanical advance for the distributors on these engines? The 903 may be what I'm looking for to get my Lombardi to run on pump gas.

Let me clarify.

I know the initial advance, but I actually would like to know the total advance. I have been led to believe that the 903 has less than the 843. This is what I'm looking for so I'd like to know how much less it is.

My Fiat shop manual shows the 903 having a static advance of 0 degrees, and the mechanical advance running to 38 degrees.

The 843 has a mechanical advance of 0 - 28 degrees, but you have to add the 10 degrees static advance for the 100G.002, or 11 degrees for the 100G.000.

The early 100G.002 shows a Vacuum advance of 0-25 degrees, with a 10 degree static advance, the least of any.

My Haynes manual has the 843 distributor numbers:
Marelli
100G.000 S110B
100G.002 S110C
100GB.000 S110BA
100GC.000 S110BA
100GBC.000 S110BAA

I don't have the numbers for the 903 engines and mine is in storage. They came with either Marelli or Ducellier.

If you have a 903 distributor and have set it to 10 degrees static, you will have WAY too much advance.

The best thing to do is get a digital timing light with adjustable advance and dwell measurement. Set it to the max advance you want, 35-38, and set timing at 4000 rpm to zero.

One particular problem I had on my Ducellier was the lobes were worn, so to get the correct dwell I had to close the points down to .012. Make sure to set the dwell before adjusting timing.

My engine's specs.

The block is a 100GB.000. It started life as an 843cc. It has been stroked with a 74mm crank and overbored to 66mm giving a displacement of 1013cc. By my calculations, it's compression is 10.8:1. It has a mild cam. Effectively it is a clone of the Abarth 1000 OT engine. That engine has a static advance of 8° and a total advance of 24°. I just need some basic numbers to have the distributor recurved (if I can find a place that still does that). I read a post from Obert that the 903cc distributor has less advance than the 843cc. I presently have it set to 4° static and it does not ping on pump premium. But the engine runs too warm for my liking. I had more static advance when I mixed 1 gallon Cam 2 to 5 premium. It ran cooler. But that stuff is multo caro.

Old-school timing method

You could always use my highly unscientific method (a relic of my former air-cooled VW days): Rotate the distributor until idle speed is maximized, then drive the car. Advance or retard a bit at a time as needed until it just starts to ping under load, then back off a bit.

But you already knew that.............

Back