850 spider

The 817, 843, 903 (which is what should be in there now) and a reversed rotation Autobianchi Abarth 1050cc, one can also manage a few others with effort which can include a pushrod 1300 or the 1438 twin cam, both need reverse rotation cams and other mods. All are different generation Fiat motors. Parts for making a reverse rotation twin cam or 1300 pushrod are rare and likely expensive.

Basically since the 850 uses a counter clockwise rotation engine (reverse rotation as most engines rotate clockwise), there are not a lot of choices and even fewer bolt in choices.

It's conceivable to install a Honda D15 with a different bell housing and plenty of work.

903cc

As Karl says, the 903cc is what is stock for the '72, and is what will work "bolt in" with "no mods". Everything else will require some slight to extreme mods.

The 903 can be slightly stroked or bored for something just under 1000cc. Others will know more about this, when I had my '72 850 Sport Spider I had an engine built like this. Otherwise stock.

Back