850 Sport Coupe series 2 track car.

I had the plugs out and I decided to check the tappets. I have had to modify the rocker cover oil filler so the intercooler fits over so I took this opportunity to do it as it will be a big job once it's installed to get the cover off. I was alarmed by how slack the 4 ribbed belt for the supercharger was. I could easily slide the belt around by hand! When I looked at a few recent data logs it was obvious it had been slipping for a while! These flat belts are difficult to get right and after one breakage I was over cautious on setting the tension. This obviously was the cause of my poor performance at the last hillclimb where I was beaten [only just] by a 1050 cc twin side draft Weber car!View attachment 81977
Bummer about the slack in the belt and the effect on your times.

That rear engine mount rubber base the spring sits on looks pretty knackered.

That engine bay is just intense with the amount of stuff in there.

That's an older photo. The main mount and the two gearbox mounts are in red polyurethane now.
Huntley Sept 23a.jpg

Last edited:
The manifold from the supercharger and the inlet manifold with the two injectors are installed. Note the rocker cover is modified so the air/water intercooler can fit over the top. The lot will have to lift off next time the tappets get done!

manifolds.jpg

More development here than Porsche put into getting the 911 to stay on the road! I think I've identified a third stock 850 Fiat part! Those being: 1) oil cap 2) sedan motor mount 3) possibly the rear muffler support bracket!

Well I certainly did not have a particularly good day at Sydney Motorsport Park South circuit yesterday. All my own fault of course. I should have spent a day at my local circuit tuning the fuel map to suit the massive drop in inlet air temperatures I have now with the air/water intercooler.
I ran out of time and instead spent some time driving around the pit area and letting the auto tune function adjust the map at slow speed. The plan was to use the practice session to tune the map at all rpms. I lined up at the back of the grid and when I drove on to the circuit the car ran rough at first till extra fuel was added and it gradually smoothed out. The plan was to increase speed and rpms each lap till the car sorted itself out. This circuit is hilly and a few corners straight into a climb. The engine stopped when it hit a lean spot and I could not restart, the battery was too low. I had to get towed. To make matters worst I got towed all the way through the pits! 73 starter at the event, about 12 in my group.
The new extra water pump probably draws about 5 amps and this is just too much for the alternator with the large pulley it has at the moment. Way back I blew up an alternator because it was reaching 26,000rpm for short periods and I slowed that down with a large pulley. Page 13 message 241. Now I only have 11.5 volts at idle [1500]. That's not good enough and I have a 70mm pulley in the mail.
The bad news is when the engine stopped I lost all the changes to the fuel map. I do have a data log though and with the video I should be able to get into the ball park. In the next couple of weeks I will spend a day at my local circuit just driving around at all speeds and sorting the lot out like I should have done!
The good news is the new air inlet temperatures. It was a hot autumn day at 31 degrees C. The data log showed the new IAT as 33C and it never varied. On this circuit previously it varied between 80C to 100C. Quite a bit of fuel was added so I'm expecting some extra power at the top end.

1a.jpg

Well I certainly did not have a particularly good day at Sydney Motorsport Park South circuit yesterday. All my own fault of course. I should have spent a day at my local circuit tuning the fuel map to suit the massive drop in inlet air temperatures I have now with the air/water intercooler.
I ran out of time and instead spent some time driving around the pit area and letting the auto tune function adjust the map at slow speed. The plan was to use the practice session to tune the map at all rpms. I lined up at the back of the grid and when I drove on to the circuit the car ran rough at first till extra fuel was added and it gradually smoothed out. The plan was to increase speed and rpms each lap till the car sorted itself out. This circuit is hilly and a few corners straight into a climb. The engine stopped when it hit a lean spot and I could not restart, the battery was too low. I had to get towed. To make matters worst I got towed all the way through the pits! 73 starter at the event, about 12 in my group.
The new extra water pump probably draws about 5 amps and this is just too much for the alternator with the large pulley it has at the moment. Way back I blew up an alternator because it was reaching 26,000rpm for short periods and I slowed that down with a large pulley. Page 13 message 241. Now I only have 11.5 volts at idle [1500]. That's not good enough and I have a 70mm pulley in the mail.
The bad news is when the engine stopped I lost all the changes to the fuel map. I do have a data log though and with the video I should be able to get into the ball park. In the next couple of weeks I will spend a day at my local circuit just driving around at all speeds and sorting the lot out like I should have done!
The good news is the new air inlet temperatures. It was a hot autumn day at 31 degrees C. The data log showed the new IAT as 33C and it never varied. On this circuit previously it varied between 80C to 100C. Quite a bit of fuel was added so I'm expecting some extra power at the top end.

View attachment 82871
There is always the next run around the track. Sorry it didn’t work out.

It will be very interesting to see how much of a change there is in the fueling maps. I presume you are already at the edge for ignition timing.

The change in intake temps is impressive.

The timing is at 30 degrees with 10psi of boost, E85 fuel and sometimes an IAT of 110C and it is safe. With the cooler inlet temperature, I could advance the timing but I think I will stay safe at the moment.
I just reviewed my camera footage and the voltage never got higher than 11.5 volts at any time. When the engine stopped and I tried to restart it fired briefly then when I was cranking the voltage got down to 7 volts! The ECU shuts down at 7.5 volts so the injectors would have shut down too.

The timing is at 30 degrees with 10psi of boost, E85 fuel and sometimes an IAT of 110C and it is safe. With the cooler inlet temperature, I could advance the timing but I think I will stay safe at the moment.
I just reviewed my camera footage and the voltage never got higher than 11.5 volts at any time. When the engine stopped and I tried to restart it fired briefly then when I was cranking the voltage got down to 7 volts! The ECU shuts down at 7.5 volts so the injectors would have shut down too.
Definitely the right path on the ignition timing map.

Still marveling at the reduction in IAT.

The alternator pulley has arrived. I had to machine up a spacer 17mm to 15 mm to suit but that was straightforward. The new pulley is aluminium billet machined in Adelaide and I must admit it's like a piece of jewellery. The new pulley will have a maximum rpm of 20,000 with the engine at 8500 rpm and idle around 3000 so should be OK. The picture shows the original 60mm and the large 110mm and the new at 70mm. I will load a tune from January last year when I had decent voltage and work up from there.
alt pulley.jpg

Back