# 87 camshaft ID question

BBeaudet

Daily Driver
Trying to figure out what cam my car has in it so if anybody has any data on this part number it would be much appreciated.

All I got to go on is that it is not a stock cam and it has the number 87 stamped on the non pulley end.

Any info on brand or specs would be welcome.

Thanks Bob.

Thanks Steve....

Bob and I have been trying to diagnose a bad idle / cold start problems with his FI car. We finally realized we hadn't looked at the cam, and lo/behold, he found an "87" cam in it.

Funny thing is that I had just salvaged a 1300 engine no more than a week earlier and pulled the same exact cam out.

Bob, no matter what you do to that engine, it will not idle correctly with that cam, it's just to long in duration for a stock FI system to handle....

Thanks again Steve, you helped both of us.

-M

Matt I agree.

My car now running on MegaSquirt with a 40/80 camshaft could not idle. Hence a smoother was installed which gave a stable idle but causes problems with acceleration on a map based program. I had to switch to TPS based acceleration enrichments to over come it. The smoother would help the idle but you will have problems with flat spots on acceleration.

TonyK.

Grimsby Ontario Canada.

Thanks for the info.

I am not really familar with how the X engines perform with the differenent cam grinds. What type of performance should I expect out of this cam? Where does it come into power? Will I be satisfied with it on a street car that I plan to drive 6K miles per year.

The car is running stock exhaust with stock FI. It did not appear to have any head porting done either. Does it look like these are high compression pistons?

Here is a shot of the head.
DSCN2027.jpg

Here is a shot of the piston.
DSCN2028.jpg

Thanks for any input one might be able to add.

Bob.

Pistons

Those are stock pistons with the deep valve cut outs to make it a non interference engine.

As for the cam shaft if you can supply the fuel to it, and the exhaust system breaths well enough, it will pull crisply from about 2700 rpm to 7500 rpm. 1st, 2nd and 3rd have great acceleration and sound.

It doesn't have much torque below 1500 RPM, you can cruise in 5th down to about 2100 RPM and accelerate on flat ground.

The stock fuel map and exhaust system will inhibit it some what from what I have described above.

TonyK.

Grimsby Ontario Canada.

Back