88 Yugo Speedo failure

FAMICOMASTER

Yugo owner
Well, I was driving home from work today and my speedometer started chirping, then it went clack and stuck at 40. Getting the rest of the way home it raised to 50 and is now completely stuck there. The odometer is stuck as well. When moving, at any speed, there is a clicking from the driver's side of the dash.

Does anyone know how to repair speedometers or odometers? How would I go about fixing this? I have zero experience fixing this type of problem. I have heard that Yugos are bad about stripping drive gears in the transmissions but I can hear the clicking in the dash, so I think something in the speedo has gone wrong. I've also heard something about magnets coming unglued, but I also know that they usually drop to 0 when that happens.

Should I just take it apart blindly and clean / lubricate everything I find, or is there something else I need to do to fix this? Anything I need to beware of when disassembling, reassembling, cleaning, or lubricating it?

I'm a complete newbie when it comes to this type of work.
IMG_20211102_224335.png

On closer inspection, it seems that the odometer is jamming and popped all the plastic pieces inside the speedo apart, does anyone know how to repair odometers? I cannot figure out how to get it apart to clean it or even inspect it.
It moves slightly easier under hot water but it jams when rolling mileage forward. I do not know how to fix this.
IMG_20211103_142451.jpg

I forgot to update, but I was informed by a fellow Geo Metro owner that their clusters have the same issue sometimes, and that soaking the odometer unit in WD-40 would improve it.
I soaked the odometer unit and it's associated gears in WD-40 for about 15 minutes and then sprayed the rest of the moving parts in the speedo (and the cable) with WD-40 before reassembling it.

Speedo works, no more chirping/squeaking noises, and the speedometer no longer wobbles while driving. It's been quieter and more accurate since, so I can't complain.

For the record, the gentleman who runs Yugoparts also has several spare clusters he said he was willing to part out or sell for what seemed to be a reasonable price.
Hopefully this helps someone else in the future.

Back