A/C or Not??

SSNET

Daily Driver
I am about to take possesion of an X with installed A/C.
My question is: Is it worth the hassle/coin to de-A/C?

If it's not running, how much of a performance robber is it?

Or, is it worth getting rid of just for the weight/engine bay clean-up?

Thanks for your help, I am learning so much here.:read:

Jim

Depends upon the car.

I have it in one of mine. Works too, but not without the hassle of having re-done it.

If your car is nice and you don't mind refurbishing the AC, personally I think it's worth it.
Folks like the cars with AC if they're clean.

But... It does rob power. Some might think a lot, but if you're not racing and you like
to drive, the car has plenty enough power. These cars aren't known for their
horsepower anyway, unless your ambition is to do a few engine mods. If that's the case,
you might as well plan on pulling it.

My :2c:

If it were me, Keep the A/C

Unless you live withing 5 miles of the beach on the west coast and south of Santa Barbara, keep the A/C. Everywhere else it sure makes for a nicer car. Would you consider a new car without A/C? If is a track car, then no A/C otherwise you are not going to be able to measure a difference in performance when it is off. If you pull the A/Cthen also pull the radio, heater, wipers, spare, passenger seat, ........ too.
Bob

Another one...

MISHAGUN too... damn it...

I swear they never sold an A/C equipped car in a state that could use it!

HA!

KEEP IT...

Anyone can pull a compressor and condenser... but pulling the "power unit" or evaporator means taking half the car apart! I just INSTALLED an aftermarket unit in a Corvette and it took 3 weeks to get everything right... the evaporator unit was the BIG deal and I haveta admit I broke a lot of 40 year old plastic things...

Unless you are gonna build a racer, then keep it and make it work. A belt and a pulley on a compressor freewheeling should not rob any power when it is off, (as I argue with my good friend Bob Brown) but the condenser will indeed introduce a good deal of heat into the radiator on a hot day, so your fans and cooling system itself need to be up to snuff or better. The added weight is negligible also...

What I 'd give to have one in mine! I'm considering designing my own and installing it... maybe this spring! The newer compressors and R134, plus some great fans and condensers can really cool and move some air and that would be OUTSTANDING to have on this little car.

Gee, glad I am not the only one

Thanks Tony for the support on this one. I was thoinking I was the only one that cared for modern amenities. By they way are you going to the February 23 REFC drive?
Bob

Last edited:
Thanks Tony

As I'm not going to race or autocross, and we DO have some hot days in the U.P.(2or3):wink2: I'l leave it in and get it working.

Next question: What's involved in converting it to modern refrigerant; or can you still use the old stuff?

Jim

One of our members in Tx posted (I think on the old XWeb) a multi-pic description of how his local top-notch A/C shop refurbed the factory system.

It wasn't cheap but IIRC the person was very happy with the results.

Jim, it can be a simple task...

... by installing the correct fittings, evacuating, pressure testing and installing R134.

I have HEARD that the R134 does not perform as well in a stock system though... with not DATA or specifics to support their statements.

I would imagine though... an relatively SIMPLE upgrade to a newer Sanyo R134 compressor, a larger condenser and a couple of high volume fans would make a world of difference without touching the power unit in the dash. That would probably be about a 500 - 800 dollar upgrade...

Let me toss this idea out that I have been thinking about... You could buy a complete, small UNIVERSAL A/C kit for about 800 - 1000... and possibly mount the power unit in the front trunk... and duct it inside. A possibility, no???

Anyway, do keep us informed as to your decisions and progress...

Well... what is it that we have in common...

AGE, BEAUTY, COMFORT??? HAHAHA!

As for he 23rd... I'm unaware of what you speak...

Frankly... both my wife and I have been very ill as of late, and we are running to Cedars for tests and treatments... Most of our social plans are on hold... Do fill me in though...

Thanks!

R12 is still available

If you look for it. I got my last 6 cans for $20 per can out of New Mexico. The real stuff. Might want to consider that if you want to do it yourself. Most available on eBay, and you don't have to change anything.

I refurbished mine last summer and it all worked out great. I will say it was a bit of a pain changing out all the O-rings with new, but the results made it all worth it. :2c:

Freeze 12

Has anyone used this R-12 substitute?
It's readily available, and less expensive than the real stuff.

Regards,
Jim

Freeze 12 Is a freon mix

Basically it's R134a and a few others mixed together. The A/C on my '82, and I bought it with only 19,000 miles, was never really any good. I recently had a conversation with an A/C expert and he said after seeing the system, that the "frost valve" located on the engine firewall was the weak point of the system. He mentioned that on some other makes that he removed the valve altogether and the system worked fine. On my '82 it would cool fine for about 10 minutes and then crap out. I replaced the dryer and the expansion valve and it did the same thing. I don't know if the valve removal would have helped it or not having sold it to get my current X, a non A/C '87.
Rolf.

Tony is right

Evac, pressure test and fill with R134. I did mine recently, needed to replace both engine area hoses, as they leaked. Cost about $120 for both. R134 is cheap. System works good. The car is small so it is easy to be effective. R-12 is avaialable but too much work. I used to keep it in my old cars but not anymore.
Bob T.

Back