A gentleman and a scholar

avusblue98

True Classic
Just want to give public recognition and profound thanks to a member here, Mike Mittelstead: a little while back there was a listing in FSW from a Wayne in the middle of Oregan who had several desirable items, many NOS, available for $1 each, the kicker being he didn't feel like shipping and so the items were pickup only. I was very interested in his NOS '74 nose sheet metal for my '74 re-creation (the difference being it has the slots for those blade style bumper mounts). Some might consider this overkill, but I'd already collected a very nice '74 rear end from Matt, so why not?

Anyway, Mike M. posted that he was planning a trip to Wayne's barn and I sent him a message, offering something like real money if he could pick up this sheet metal for me and ship it. Mike declined the offer of money, very generously offering to pick up the part and ship it for only a nominal charge for his time. Which is what he did, with the part arriving yesterday.

Have to say that Mike's generosity of nature seems typical of most everyone here on Xweb, something not seen so much on other car sites. Thanks again, Mike! - Kent Southard

Mike is an awsome guy!

I meet Mike Mittlestead at PIR in 2001 or 2002. Both he and Ulix were at the Alfa track day, and I showed up to take a bunch of pictures with Mark Scholz.

We had a great time and Mike offered to let me ride in his car. It was then I discovered I tend to get sort of car sick if I am not driving. Thankfully, I managed to hold it back until the session was done.

Mike has also been one of the primary reasons I got into Autocrossing and Hillclimbs.

Always willing to talk and share his ideas on ways to make our cars go even a bit faster.

Oh yeah, did I mention he polishes everything? ;)

Eric Armstrong

Mike is a keeper

I've known Mike for a few years now. I think I met him at the very last Ashland hillclimb? He's provided a number of parts that I've needed more than once and I can't thank him enough.

He's one of those guys that you get in a conversation with :bla: and suddenly realize part of your 2+ hour drive home will be in the dark. :) Time just flys by talking with Mike about Fiats, checking out the freshly painted wheels on his parts cars, and staring at brightly polished acorn nuts on an even more highly polished motor. :grin:

He also has this mythical Camaro he supposedly used to race, but I think it's just a car-shaped table cloth 'cause I've never seen an actual car. :grin: :grin: :grin:

agreed

I got to meet Mike at his house in March and he set me up with a pair of calipers cause one of mine was frozen and I will never forget how generous he is. He answered all my random questions about brakes, cooling system etc. and gave me a tour of all his cars (which are all awesome by the way). Even his cat is nice! Haha, thanks again Mike! :woot:

I have his Autograph.....

in an old copy of grassroots motorsports......still need yours Eric....and Mark Scholtz and Mike Richmond. I was actually hoping to get yours when I got Mike's, which I think was at the last Seattle X1/9 event I was at and Mike made it but you and ripley and a couple other Oregon people did not make it up.

Sorry Carl.

Let me know the next time you are anywhere in the area and I will make a point to be there.

You can also send the magazine to me, and I will get everyone else to sign it for you.

I was just looking at it the other day!

Eric

Yeah, Mike's OK... but he's old...

HA!

Kent... thanks for posting the kudos... This site and the folks that are on it are generally an "average-breaker" when it comes to "great guys per capita"!

Hope to meet you around SoCal sometime...

same here. He sent me some parts a while back. Great guy to deal with! This is one of teh many things I love about the Fiat community. We are all willing to help each other out. Not many of us are in it for the money. But we are in it for the love of the cars!

Aw gee, thanks fellers...

...nice surprise to see this.
Ain't no thang really...just don't see need to
take advantage of folks.
Mere coin pales in comparison to the joy rec'd
from doing for others who appreciate it.

Feel sorry for people whose sense of self worth
is only validated by bending fellow man over
for a ream job and endlessly bragging about it.

Back