A lovely memorial of Marcello Gandini

Fascinating. It was Apollo 8 and December 21 1968 lift-off rather than the 18th but I love the idea of an "official" X1/9 birthday. Also very interesting to hear Gandini associate the Runabout more closely with the Stratos than the X. I see it - if you look at the Runabout, it clearly has shared features and general aesthetic with the Stratos. Much harder to see any X in it other than the misleading absence of roof which allows people to draw simplistic parallels with the X. I have always accepted the received wisdom that the Runabout is the original X concept but no more!

And - fitting nicely with my experience - he attributes the outstanding nature of the early cars in part to "no meetings with marketing"

and in fact, December 1968 puts the X1/9 EARLIER than the Runabout which debuted in October 1969. Better to think of these cars [Stratos, X and Runabout] as contemporary expressions of the ideas running around in Gandinis head - rather than the later revisionist view of a careful sequential hierarchy that supports marketing mythos.

I just got motivated to replace the dead battery I’ve been dragging my feet on for the last four weeks. I think I’ll take a PCH and local canyons drive today. I’ll think of Gandini every time I turn that steering wheel.

Marcello Gandini's legacy continues to resonate in the automotive world, with his designs remaining as timeless classics and sources of inspiration for designers and enthusiasts alike. His contributions to automotive design have earned him a revered status within the industry, and his influence can be seen in the evolution of car design over the decades.

Marcello Gandini's legacy continues to resonate in the automotive world, with his designs remaining as timeless classics and sources of inspiration for designers and enthusiasts alike. His contributions to automotive design have earned him a revered status within the industry, and his influence can be seen in the evolution of car design over the decades.
Ban this isht!

Quotes To Live By.jpeg

Back