"AC" style water pumps

Dr.Jeff

True Classic
Or more specifically, "air conditioning" style water pump housings.

I don't recall if this has been covered previously in the numerous water pump discussions. There are two different water pump housings for AC equipped 1500 X's. Part number 4393675 is for 1979 models only, and part number 5990264 is for 1980 through 1988 models. Both utilize the same pump assembly and both require an external heater hose fitting (e.g. nipple on the "water pipe"). So what is different about the two? I think it is the alternator mounting boss? I know there are a few different drive belt arrangements for various models of AC equipped 1500's. But that involves other factors, like smog equipment, drive pulleys, etc. And there are also some differences in how the alternators are adjusted. I just don't recall if the actual mounting boss on the pump housing is the same for all (AC equipped) alternators (at the "pivot" end). Maybe one is wider than the other?

Checking out MWB's offerings, it looks like the difference is the position top mounting hole above the long boss that look like it would run parallel to the impeller shift. On the 79 housing the mount seems to extend out to meet the outer edge of the parallel boss. On the 80+ housing, it seems like that top mount is recessed back an inch or so. My terminology doesn't seem right, but maybe you can spot what I am trying to explain?

Checking out MWB's offerings, it looks like the difference is the position top mounting hole above the long boss that look like it would run parallel to the impeller shift. On the 79 housing the mount seems to extend out to meet the outer edge of the parallel boss. On the 80+ housing, it seems like that top mount is recessed back an inch or so. My terminology doesn't seem right, but maybe you can spot what I am trying to explain?
Now that you point it out, I recall there is a difference in the length of that boss. However that only means a longer bolt is used on one vs the other housing. Not sure why that changed. Could there also be other differences?

Back