Accelerator cable fun

FiatFunk

True Classic
Wow that was not made to be replaced! Filled up the swear jar but other than needing a circlip and a couple cotter pins got it done. Also did the long speedo cable, which was very easy in comparison.

Wow that was not made to be replaced! Filled up the swear jar but other than needing a circlip and a couple cotter pins got it done. Also did the long speedo cable, which was very easy in comparison.
I'd heard before I replaced the accelerator cable on my former '86 X1/9, that it was one of the 2 least fun jobs on an X1/9. Now that I've done the brake and clutch master cylinders, I have to agree. On the plus side, when I was done, the carpet and floor under the carpet were never cleaner.

It's not that bad. I've done both my '74 and my son's '86 in the last year. Here's the tricks for the later style:

Remove the rear-most cotter pin or release the throttle cable at the throttle linkage FIRST !! Why? If that spring on the pedal is loaded and you pull the forward cotter pin, you'll launch the spring and little plastic end piece into the oblivion. You'll never find them again. Thank god MWB has them in stock. Not that I launched mine...

Remove the hand brake and pull out of the way, then grab the cable clip with a pair of channel locks and remove the clip.
1711327667385.png

Getting the new cable/shroud through the rear tunnel helps if you have a magnet on a stick. The bitch is getting it through the rubber grommet at the end of the cable tube.
1711327808356.png

At first I tried to pull this rubber grommet off the tube. It was on there, not coming off. So the trick is to use welding wire or something similar to fish from front to back through the tube and use it to pull the end of the throttle cable through the grommet.
1711327896574.png

I put a little bit of grease on it and it came right through
1711327938095.png

To install it on the pedal, assembly is the opposite of dis-assembly. Push the rod through the pedal and install the spring and outer clip first. Dispense with the cotter pins and get hobby store R/C car pins
1711327314261.png

Have an assistant pull the cable at the engine to compress the spring and let you install the rear pin.
1711328167784.png

Now put all the carpet and hand brake back together...

It's not that bad. I've done both my '74 and my son's '86 in the last year. Here's the tricks for the later style:

Remove the rear-most cotter pin or release the throttle cable at the throttle linkage FIRST !! Why? If that spring on the pedal is loaded and you pull the forward cotter pin, you'll launch the spring and little plastic end piece into the oblivion. You'll never find them again. Thank god MWB has them in stock. Not that I launched mine...

Remove the hand brake and pull out of the way, then grab the cable clip with a pair of channel locks and remove the clip.
That is well done. Nice moves. I didn't know what I was getting into and it sounds like you have more patience than I do!
I was lucky not to lose the spring, the rubber grommet came off easily after I figures out what was holding the cable up. I did drop the cable clip but was lucky it didn't go far. I just went around the two spot welded cable guides behind the parking brake as there is no sliding that cable with the large ends thru them. It was difficult as my wrists don't bend very far due to injuries/surgeries/arthritis. Now that I know what that job entails, you're right, it's not actually that bad.

Back