accesories not working

tonyribs

Low Mileage
sorting out interior electical, I have a 79 1500, engine is out of car, can't get cigarette lighter, rear window defroster and seatbelt buzzer/light to work... does the car have to have the engine installed and be running for these things to work? are these common things to notoriosly don't work in this year X1/9? thanks in advance

I cannot imagine...

....the engine would have to be in for these items to work...None of my 79s had a seatbelt light or buzzer (Canadian thing?). I assume you checked your fuses first? Next would be grounds, I suppose. I would hope that someone here has an idea where the ground for these items would be. Not certain where these ones would be, but there are ground blossoms in the headlight access panels under the front trunk lid. I think there are also a couple of them in the engine compartment (maybe the one you need isn't connected in your engine compartment, since your engine is out). I think one of the blossoms is near your coolant overflow tank on the left side strut tower? Sorry I am not more help, but I am X-less right now and am just going by memory.

more info

If i'm seeing things right... just looking at the diagram(not the actual wires), seatbelts circuit touches wipers, hazards and ecu. Says something about a seat interlock with ecu which i've never even though about. May not apply in 79 but is the ecu hooked up/grounds intact? do the wipers and hazards work?

As for the lighter it's pretty basic.
check fuse 9/i for cig. and power at the fuse. shows it should have just a red wire which it source is "i" side of fuse and black to direct ground. the light ring around it looks tied to 7/g fuse, positive being sourced from "g" side. but my 2 diagrams conflict on the ground. One shows grounding through the dimmer, the other shows the heater control light bulb. positive and ground side show yellow/black wire. I'd suspect it actually goes to the dimmer but should be easy to trace or bypass.

wire colors

I have one red/green wire and a purple wire tied to one connector, a yellow black wire which is I believe the cigarette ligher ring light wire on another connector, two black wires connected to one connector and a white/black dotted wire is connected to those :wall:

Hey Tonyribs

Sorting out wiring problems in an X without photos is like asking Stevie Wonder to choose a color for ya.

Wiring in these cars can be confusing to say the least. The wiring in the '79 I got from Thomas was in such bad shape, I decided to replace the entire harness.
Now, I don't suggest you do THAT but good, sharp photos of your fuse panel and "ends in question" would be of great help to all involved.
Don't second-guess anything. Your devices WILL work if the connections to them are good and correct.

As Thomas suggests, check your ground trees in the rear of the car (driver's side rear shock tower) and underneath the steering column to the left hand side of the dash and make sure all connections are tight and strong. Let us know how you make out.

Hey Tonyribs... Let me slap ya around a bit also...

Not once have you mentioned a "test light" or voltmeter. A good $5.00 VOM from Harbor Freight and a basic understanding of how it works can allow you to SEE for SURE if you have voltage and a ground source for these things to operate.

We can help with all that stuff... but you really need a wiring diagram and a VOM in order to figure these things out.

I'll now defer you to BOB BROWN for the specifics... as I'm too old...

Just kidding... but as Bob said... without the real data... we can only throw hundreds of "guesses" atcha.

The bertone wiring manual says that the seatbelt chime timer, the rear defogger relay, three headlight relays and the cigar lighter all ground daisy chain style to G3, which is a ground bloom under the dash to the left of the steering column. The cigar lighter is the closest of the components to the bloom on the daisy chain.

Power wise, hot at all times power goes thru an inline fuse. From this fuse a violet wire and a light blue wire emerge. Lt blue goes to FI, and violet leads to connector 25 a 12 hole connector, from there it branches into a violet w/white stripe to power courtesy lights, and a red w/green stripe that goes thru a 5 hole connector above the power panel, then feeds a power antenna switch, then continues daisychain style to the digital clock, then continues thru connector 19, a 5 hole connector behind the instrument panel, where a white wire branches off to feed the remove key warning switch (which is part of the ig switch). The reg w/green continues from that connector to power the cigar lighter.

The yellow w/black stripe comes from fuse G 8 amp, and then feeds a host of things, in order: LH front marker lights; just before going thru thru connector 24 a five hole connector it branches off to feed the cigar lighter light; beyond c24 it feeds daisychain style the LH license light, the RH talight, and the RH rear marker light, etc.

Again this is the Bertone wiring manual, might not apply to a '79.

Back