Adding 3 phase 240VAC to the shop..

Rupunzell

Bernice Loui
Recently needed to add 3 phase 240VAC to the shop as there is only 240VAC single phase power on the power pole tap. There are the usual rotary motor-generator 3 phase converters or the "phasing" capacitors that semi work. Or the VFD (Variable Frequency Drive) which is already used on the Bridgeport milling machine with really good results. Got a suggestion of using Phase Perfect phase converters. These converters make 3 phase power by taking single phase in converting it into DC then the DC is converted to 3 phase power. Phase Perfect has been around for years, their converters have been used in many industrial to elevator and more application where only single phase power is available and 3 phase power is needed. They recently introduced their Power Simple line of basic converters. Order up a 5hp unit, installed it.

Phase perfect, installed 8.11.2023.jpg

LCD display powered up:

Phase perfect pwr, 8.11.2023.jpg

Once the other machine tool arrives, will know how well the PTS005 works.

Bernice

I had a neighbor that was a collector of large military vehicles and trains. Back in the 80s, he built a huge garage to hold all his toys. It looked like a large industrial building out in the middle of nowhere. It included gantry cranes and other large pieces of equipment so he could remove turrets off his tanks, etc. His ranch was on top of a mountain, miles from 3 phase power so he paid PGE to run lines up there.

I had a neighbor that was a collector of large military vehicles and trains. Back in the 80s, he built a huge garage to hold all his toys. It looked like a large industrial building out in the middle of nowhere. It included gantry cranes and other large pieces of equipment so he could remove turrets off his tanks, etc. His ranch was on top of a mountain, miles from 3 phase power so he paid PGE to run lines up there.
Jacques Littlefield...

Bernice

Jacques Littlefield...

Bernice
You bet! Unfortunately, I heard he passed a few years back. You can get an idea of what the building is like from the photos in that link. I saw the inside when it was nearing completion and was wondering how he was going to use all that space. I guess he managed to fill it up. Looks like his 41 Willys has a couple of oil leaks.

I'll be interested to hear what you think of the Phase Perfect once you spend some time with it. I bought a couple of Phase-A-Matic units to run my Bridgeport and bandsaw now that I'm out of my industrial unit and everything is in the home garage. 3-phase spoiled me :) Still working though other projects before getting to wiring the converters up.

Back