Adding Automatic Trans to Abarth Offering

I saw that too

I am so excited!!! This means a third Fiat is in the cards next year. I so hope they do the Abarth Cabrio in an auto....an older gentleman like myself needs to retain his original kneecaps.

I personally told Kuniskis (Fiat CEO) at FFO2012 that FLU members would be glad to teach the hipsters (current target market) to drive stick to keep Fiat / Chrysler from haveing to deal with dumbing down the Abarth....

Turns out that the manual transaxle is the only part of the new Fiat 500 that is made in Italy. Auto transaxles are made in Japan.

I thought...

...they were moving the manufacturing from Mexico to Romania. If that happens, I wonder if the engines would still be made in Michigan.

Had not heard that.

The EU consumption is still beig manufactured in Poland (er, sume place like that), with the 1.4multiair motor coming from Chrysler in the US.

As they are currently being produced in the old PT Cruiser plant, I see no reason to move manufacturing at this time, unless they want to build something else at that location.

Read up on the engine, Kevin you may be pleasantly surprised. Pretty strong little motor.better yet, go drive an Abarth... There's a reason I'm driving my X less than I used to.

Oh, don't misunderstand. I drove pre-release versions and a uk version in the past (mostly at FFO's) and scared the bejesus out of a salesman when Hendrick Fiat opened up. I love the 500 and both the NA and the Abarth Forced Induction versions. They just do not fit my lifestyle right now (2 little people to ferry around and parents living 250 miles away....)

I would expect that the Abarth won't get a traditional automatic but rather a dual-clutch unit. If that's that case it will actually be a performance enhancement even if it does reduce the "fun factor".

Back