Additional Interior Lighting

lookforjoe

True Classic
Since I'm kinda twiddling my thumbs waiting for my turbo impeller to be repaired & balanced so I can install the new compressor (on left)...

XRTD06H0001.jpg

.... I worked on my interior lighting mod today :)

I determined that the Volvo V70 under dash lighting ('98-00) would fit within the "B" pillar vent frame..

cut..

X19interiorLight0001.jpg

fit..

X19interiorLight0002.jpg

ran wiring to the delay relay & installed

X19interiorLight0003.jpg

X19interiorLight0004.jpg

I also added a cutoff switch, since I spend so much time working on the car with the doors open, and am tired of popping the lights, disconnecting the grounds everytime I'm working on the car for a while..

X19interiorLight0005.jpg

It's wired to interrupt the ground to the delay relay.

Now I have to find the other one I had & install it on the driver's side.

Last edited:
My kind of mod...

Nice work Hussein, great attention to detail.
Now if I can convince you to use LED's.... :innocent:

Thanks for sharing! :clap:

Cool.
That interrupter switch is the one some sorry sob FO will never find as he tries for hours to get those lights to work! Ask me how I know. (PO installed headlight mod got me!!)

Really nice, very impressive work. Any chance I can leave my X with you for a few weeks? I think I'd get back an REALLY nicely modded one!

Hussein... do you have a day job, kids, a home...

... girlfriend, wife, dog... anything else but that FIAT?

HA!

WOW... you are always up to something aren't 'cha?

Nice work...

Thanks, all!

... girlfriend, wife, dog... anything else but that FIAT?
HA!
WOW... you are always up to something aren't 'cha?
Nice work...

Yeah, I have work, (and a Master's Thesis I need to finish), a wife & two offspring, both over 20 now..

ht0180a.jpg

3 cats,

cats0177.jpg

cats0219.jpg

and an old (1890's) home that often needs plumbing, wiring, etc... I excavated the crawlspace (& mixed/poured concrete by hand :)) into a usable basement a couple of years ago..

had to create new underpinnings for the original (brick) foundation - we had issues with flooding before I did this.

this is one of the three sections:
wb0373a.jpg

...I'm just trying to get everything done on the X before it goes to rest for the winter months :)

error?

I count 3 tweenty year olds in that pic of your family. Just sayin...:)

Nice work on the light. I love mods that look stock. My car has several. I might have to add your mod to my list. Thanks!

Last edited:
If I put my hairs end to end... it wouldn't add up...

... to 14 inches!

Any consolation, my bum!!!

Where are the MODERATORS when ya REALLY need them!

Man, Nice work Hussein! I might have to give that a try myself.

As for the hair, I've thought about growing mine out long, but as soon as it starts touching my ears, I get annoyed and cut it off! LOL I guess it's the ole' Marine in me. :p

LED lighting

I apologize for polluting the X forums with Volkswagen pictures, but I thought it might make bbrown happy to see some LED's. The is my 1987 VW Golf GTI. There is not enough room between the plastic cover and the B pillar to fit a light bulb. The solution was 12 surface mounted LED's. The LED's are controlled (with a 30 seconds timer and a 5 seconds dimmer) from a box sitting next to the dome light in the headliner. The lens comes from the trunk of another 1987 VW Golf.

sdsc05619.jpg

sdsc05626.jpg

sdsc05634.jpg

dsc05631b.jpg

Last edited:
Nice job!

Nice even light.
Tough to make even light with a plug-in replacement.

Thanks for sharing! :woot:

Installed the second one today, went back & ran 4 wires all the way to the delay relay, don't want to risk any overload.

IMG_7828.jpg

Back