Advise Auxiliary Air Valve

Yves

True Classic
I want to test out of the car (Bench) the Auxiliary Air Valve.

When I check the impedance between the two terminal I read ~60 Ohms.
On the bench I can blow air in any way it is normal?

How I can test?

img68831.jpg

Thanks

The spec. section of the FI troubleshooting guide found in the Wiki lists 25Ω to 75Ω for the resistance, so 60Ω looks good.

I would apply 12 volts to the valve (polarity not important) and try blowing through it. It should gradually restrict airflow, eventually blocking it. If nothing has happened in 10 minutes (number pulled out of my you-know-where) I would abort theexperiment.

it.

Last edited by a moderator:
When 12 volts tension is not apply, the valve looks like it is closed but air passes with restriction (Looks like the valve has an adjusted nut to keep it a little bit open).
When I apply 12 volts nothing happens ... so I understand from your response that I need to keep the 12V tension for about 10 minutes to validate if it's working properly or not. Is that what you meant?

Thanks
Yves

Yves... I do believe that is what he meant...

I don't believe it should take ten minutes though... as he was kind of being facetious a bit.

I would also think that it should shut down completely... whether or not that is the optimum setting.

I suspect that yours is faulty and it would be best if you could compare it to a KNOWN good one.

Maybe Obert or Matt can help or someone else here. Sorry I don't have one... not sure I ever did.

How to test your AAV

Remove hoses, place in freezer. After 30 mins. take a look through it, you should see a large wedge of an opening. It will not be 100% open.

Warm it back up to room temperature. Then warm it up to engine operating temp in an oven or with a heat lamp. The wedge opening should be much smaller, but still not completely closed.

This is all it is meant to do, allow more air through when cold. You can adjust it slightly by loosening the nut on the outside but usually this is factory set and not crucial anyway.

The valve is designed to warm up and close from the engine heat of its mounting location and the 12v heater. If the harness to it does not have continuous 12v when the key is on, the dual relay is not working correctly.

Thanks all

Your answers very help to understand how that valve work.

I Also found that document:

"Auxilary Air Valve"
The auxilary air valve acts as the choke for the fuel injection system. When the engine is cold, it bypasses extra air around the throttle plate, Which is read as extra air flow by the ECU, Which Signals for additional fuel. While it is Opened There Will Be an Increase in RPM's. A Bimetallic strip, activated by the temp of the housing, and an electrical heater coil to Prevent excessive operation of the auxilary air valve, control a rotating disc inside the chamber. The disc has a hole in it, and when, Lones the hole up with the matching hole in the chamber, extra air is inducted into the engine. Ait This bypasses the throttle plate. As the Bimetallic strip heats up, it rotates the disk, Gradually closing off the hole until all the air is passing into the main engine through the throttle passage.

Thanks
Yves

Back