Air dam for 86 X19 needed

Denise Burchette

True Classic
Mine got knocked off so I'd like to get another one installed before warm weather returns. If you have one, please email or pm me. I don't get to visit the forums as much as I'd like to.
Thanks,
Denise

Denise... I believe Henk offers them...

... in STEEL that works well with the stock elephant ears... for about the same money you'd pay for a decent original in rubber. Just sayin'...

Have a Merry Christmas...

I bought one from Henk a few months ago as the center.

section of the air dam on Big Bird was busted out. With air freight included was the equivalent of about $173. Seems to be a pretty substantial/strong gauge steel, fit like a glove, and comes powder coated black. Even a curmudgeon like Tony gave his thumbs up approval.
Mike

1500 airdam

Hello,

We can offer you:

airdam / frontspoiler X 1/9 1500, reproduction in 1,3 mm steel, great quality and fitting, black powder coated, with all bolts and nuts
Euro 94 + shipping Euro 24

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

with kind regards,

Henk Martens
X 1/9 Parts Holland

E-mail: martens.tuil*hetnet.nl

I got mine from Henk as well and am very pleased with it. Even came with stainless hardware, IIRC.

I scuffed the powder coat on mine and painted it with Rustoleum truck bed liner, at the suggestion of TomA. I misted some ultra flat black enamel onto the last coat of bed liner, just as it was drying. The result matches the other original bumper plastic on my '85 well enough that I doubt anyone would ever notice the difference.

I only thought about this after the fact, but I wish I'd cut the grill attachment tabs off the spoiler before I painted it. Neither the grill nor the spoiler need them for support and removing them would have reduced the chances of the spoiler damaging the grill in the event it gets bent. I also thought about using nylon screws to mount the spoiler to make it break away in the event of an impact, but haven't tried that as of yet so no idea how well it would work.

Incidentally, I did have to use nylon spacers between the mounting tabs and the bodywork. Can't remember how thick they needed to be but .75" to 1" sounds about right. Whatever thickness it was, the local Lowes had the right spacers in stock. I think others here have posted that theirs fit without any need for spacers but thought I'd throw it out there just in case you wind up with one that doesn't fit exactly right (everything else was great and it lines up with the original opening almost perfectly).

All-in-all, the metal piece is a much nicer look than the original. My plastic one wasn't missing, but it was warped due to some broken attachment points. Even so, I was surprised how much better the car looked with the new spoiler.

HTH,

Back