Alternator lamp and socket

ward00

True Classic
For about 2 months now, because I had to keep using a charger to start my car about every two weeks, I was assumed my clock or radio had enough current draw to deplete my battery. Just today it occurred to me the alternator light did not come on with the ignition switch in accessory mode. After remove the instrument panel I found out why; I had no alternator lamp or screw in socket installed in the hole for the light on the instrument cluster PC board. I did notice that the hole for the screw in socket was bigger that the sockets for the other accessory lights, which means I cannot use sockets from those accessories.

Does anyone know where an alternator lamp socket (and lamp) can be sourced? Can the one from the x1/9 work.? Back up plan will be to solder a lamp to the connections on the PC board. BTW, like my other fiats, I assume the lamp is needed for the charging circuit to work.

For about 2 months now, because I had to keep using a charger to start my car about every two weeks, I was assumed my clock or radio had enough current draw to deplete my battery. Just today it occurred to me the alternator light did not come on with the ignition switch in accessory mode. After remove the instrument panel I found out why; I had no alternator lamp or screw in socket installed in the hole for the light on the instrument cluster PC board. I did notice that the hole for the screw in socket was bigger that the sockets for the other accessory lights, which means I cannot use sockets from those accessories.

Does anyone know where an alternator lamp socket (and lamp) can be sourced? Can the one from the x1/9 work.? Back up plan will be to solder a lamp to the connections on the PC board. BTW, like my other fiats, I assume the lamp is needed for the charging circuit to work.
It should not be very critical as it is just used to provide some "bootstrap" current to excite the rotor. Once that happens, it is self sufficient until it stops and needs to start again.

I can't speak for the X1/20, but the instrument/warning light sockets on the X1/9 are generic standard sizes. You can buy they extremely inexpensively on AliExpress.

It should not be very critical as it is just used to provide some "bootstrap" current to excite the rotor. Once that happens, it is self sufficient until it stops and needs to start again.
Everything I learned and know about fiat type alternators is that without a working lamp the alternator excitor circuit does not get activated which results in no charging current. Am I wrong?

I can't speak for the X1/20, but the instrument/warning light sockets on the X1/9 are generic standard sizes. You can buy they extremely inexpensively on AliExpress.
On the x1/9 are the sockets all the same size or differrent?

The socket for an X and an 850 are different as I recall.

I think Don’s point is the socket really doesn’t matter which one it is or what bulb you use. (A British hole, a German hole, a hole is a hole is a hole…)

However the 850 system works very differently from many other car’s system as there are two relays in addition to the bulb which are required to make the externally regulated alternator work, early 124s also have this system.

If you don’t already have it, become a member of Mirafiori.com and download the Electrical Diagnostic Manual for the 850 Sport Coupe and Spider. This goes through the process of debugging the system.

View attachment 57156

Are you sure the holder isn’t floating around with the bulb still in it behind the instrument panel?
Gave multiple looks but it's gone. Cant think of the logic for removing it.

Back