Alternator swap Q

mmudge

True Classic
Which model year alternator with the internal regulator, can I install on my '74 1300? A model or part number would be very helpful.

Tx,

Mudge

Last edited:
The internally regulated alternator

from the '79 and '80 carbed non-AC cars works just fine on a '74. I'm running two of my cars that way. I'd have to poke around the wiring diagram to tell you exactly what changes, but it's really not much at all - basically just disconnect a few wires in the engine bay and tape them off,

I'm also interested in an alternator replacement as I haven't had much luck with my 56Amp Marelli so I was considering the a rebuilt Bosch instead.

What size alternator did you use for your GM swap and do you have any more photos of the complete install as I lost you when you were discussing the arm of sort that mounts to the water pump ?

'PeteX1/9

I thought I had pic's from install...

but can't locate.. I know others do, hopefully will chime in...

the alt is GM alternator rated at 63 amps for a 350 Chevy Camaro, 1975... just like the one pictured. AutoZone P/N DL7127M, also listed for a 1985 Chevy Truck, C/20 and Suburban

but can't locate.. I know others do, hopefully will chime in...

the alt is GM alternator rated at 63 amps for a 350 Chevy Camaro, 1975... just like the one pictured. AutoZone P/N DL7127M, also listed for a 1985 Chevy Truck, C/20 and Suburban

will this work on a '74 with 1300 engine?

i am assuming that this upgrade will help with modern radio and amps and running lights. think ill go to autozone tonight

NO IT WON'T...

The voltage drop issues will still be evident.

What it does solve it the availability of a reasonably priced alternator, a more ROBUST alternator, and about .5 volts more charging capacity.

The .5 volts might help but at idle your typical CD player will cough and restart using the factory supplied voltage source.

You really NEED to do ONE of several BWM variations and I strongly suggest relays or a separate fused source of direct power for the horns, ignition, lights and stereo.

Stop by Radio Shack after ya go to Auto Zone... (I sure wish there was a better resource for electrical components OFFLINE though...)

Back