Another car infographic (James Bond content)

budgetzagato

Administrator
Not 100% accurate, some of the pics are current, but fun to read/look at. Missing some cars, like Scaramanga's flying car from The Man With The Golden Gun. :shock2:

http://alt-a.bitg.net/nightmobile/cars/ig/james-bond-cars.jpg
james-bond-cars.jpg

Technically...

he didn't drive the Toyota 2000GT in You Only Live Twice I guess, just rode in it. Still, it has to be one of the most famous (and beautiful) cars in all the films.

You have to respect some of the old stunts... the boat chase and jumps in "Live and Let Die", and the bad ass corkscrew jump in "The Man with the Golden Gun"... awesome to see stunts like that that were done without supermodified 'stunt-only' cars, CGI, etc.

They did it real in the old days! Need to flip a car, you just ram it into something while sliding or flip it with a handy pile of gravel next to the road! Now days if they flip a car, chances are you'll see the explosion under the car, and the chuck of 'telephone pole' that comes out of the cannon... sometimes the rollcage is evident. Even better is when a car flips over and there is no engine and transmission in the rolling cage they are using for the stunt!

CGI

Computer Generated Images (the modern special effects) have largely ruined film making.

Combine the unlimited ability to create detail, largely un-checked with little thought to depth, complexity or visual acuity (some things should be blurry) aka Transformers, and the temptation to fiddle with previous work (George Lucas's latest travesty: adding CGI eyelids to ROTJ Ewoks and new Darth Vader "NOOOOOOO" catchphrase) and you have lost the art of storytelling in the cinematic media (at least when you have a large budget).

/rant off. :(

I agree whole-heartedly with your comments about CGI ruining modern film-making, Gregory.

And that shot of the '63 Impala dredges a memory of one of my late Uncle Milt's cars... a 1963 black on black 409 SS 4 speed Impala convertible... what a car!

There is probably a place for CGI...

in film, just like any other art or technology but I agree with your basic point that it gets in the way of good storytelling more often than it advances it and leaves aside the more truly sophisticated techniques that have served from day one. But, the demographic exhibited on this forum is hardly who producers are after-one must assume that most of the films today are aimed at 14 year old boys and probably not even American 14 year old boys. The money is all made on DVD and globally (or would be if there wasn't so much piracy):shock:

Back