another uno turbo question, re cold starting

myexonenine

True Classic
it tends to stall just after starting, I have to start it several times or rev it a bit and hold the revs up to keep it going, once its warmed up it just starts fine, would this be a faulty supplemental air valve? and how easy are they to check if they are working?

just remembered I have a spare one on a lancia motor I have, I will swap them over and see if anything changes.

mine has a supplementary air valve used to supply a bit more air for cold starting, controlled by the ecu, basically bypasses some air passed the throttle body.
its the little dooflicky just above the starter motor
130720102011.jpg

When it first starts, is the idle raised at all? If not then probably the aux air valve is not open as you suggest.

Could also be the ECT, since that will enrich the mixture cold.

Depends whether it's stalling due to too rich or too lean...

I've tested it with the pipe that normally goes to the air valve open to atmosphere and it starts first go no worries, also check the valve and its not opening, tried another one I have and that doesn't open, I'm thinking to check the plug for volts while the car is running...

What would I measure to test the ECT sensor?

:)

it happened to me too.

the uno turbo starts in winter in 2 , mostly chocking, then in 3 , and then after a while is running as it should be in 4 .
I fixed that by cleaning the cold start valve , grease it back and play with the spring inside a litlle. it is not a permanent fix, but good enough for 1 winter.

Good luck , try to buy a new cold start valve , it is hold on engine block by 2 imbus screws

Back