Anyone know the gold 79 that blew a head gasket at a track day in the SE today?

Yes = His name is Daniel, and he's from Ashevile, SC. I bought the car sight unseen with the plan to use it as a daily driver and try to get back into Autocross (after 37 years!). I'm driving 6 hours to pick it up this weekend. Wish me luck!!

-- Mike/Manchester, TN

Good to know Mike:

I haven't been in touch with teh guy for a couple days, but was hoping to look at it this weekend.

Glad its going to a good home.

--Kevin

PS: I am in Asheville, NC. This x is in Columbia, SC

If you go through Knoxville...

Look me up, I am always up for meeting another X head.

eight six 5-six oh four threee two seven 1

disleXic

Thanks for chiming in. Yes, Columbia, SOUTH Carolina. It was a long day yesterday. I put in 750 miles and 16 hours, but it is now happily sitting out back. It seems to be well prepped with competition suspension & a new 5-speed; all it needs is to go through the engine. I'm half tempted to just find another and rebuild it, then swap them. There is a suggestion it has a broken piston ring. I don't know any way to tell without pulling it apart. Haynes says I can pull the pistons without removing the engine, but it is not recommended. What do you guys think? Also, where is the best place on this site to begin? I don't want to become a SPAM poster with stupid questions. BTW, I plan to try my hand at autocross. I haven't done it for so long you might say never. How do I get some "training?"

Thanks,
Mike

Engine in car

It is possible to replace the pistons without pulling the engine. But you'll be pulling the head and removing the lower motor mount to get the oil pan off, so the motor ends up supported by a jack under the transmission and one front motor mount... really at that point you might as well just unbolt that last motor mount and lower the engine and transmission to the ground, separate the, get the engine on a stand... way easier to work on everything that way.
Consider also that although you can replace the pistons and big-end bearings with the engine in the car, you can't do anything with the main bearings or crank thrust bearings.

As for autocross: Just get started. Enter a few, hitch some rides with more experienced autox drivers, get familiar with the schedule of local events.

Last edited:
Do I need my head examined?

Thanks for the welcome at X-web. I'm wondering if I need psychiatric help. I just bought a 1979 X with a blown head gasket. It may have a broken ring. I'll need to pull the engine & disassemble it at the very least. I can barely even get into the thing - I'm 6' tall and 60 years old. What was I thinking?

Seriously, though - I appreciate the warm welcome and I will definitely be in contact with you guys. I'm sure I'll have some interesting stories from a different perspective.

On our first day together, she bit me. I pulled the spark plugs to run a compression check & I think she was worried I needed the spark plugs for my lawn mower. On #1 the plug let go & my little finger hit something down in there. I'll probably regrow the nail, but I'll be remembering it for a few days. Hopefully I can convince her that even though I'm a little old for her, it will work out. I've heard these Italian girls like sugar daddies. :)

What you should be thinking is....

I'm wondering if I need psychiatric help. I just bought a 1979 X with a blown head gasket. It may have a broken ring. I'll need to pull the engine & disassemble it at the very least. I can barely even get into the thing - I'm 6' tall and 60 years old. What was I thinking?

Why did you wait so long? :)

Back