Attn: Paul Valente

'Tis

Don't know who took the photo or who submitted it to Wikipedia. It was taken at the Eyes on Desing show in 2006 when they honored Gandini. I'm honored if someone at Wikipedia (or some unknown editor) chose it as the representivie X1/9. :)

Avitar

Hi Dan,
I read a book called The Lost Generation about three rising young British F1 stars killed in the 70's. Tom Pryce was one of the three and I just took a liking to him so that's him on my avitar. He's largely forgotten now or if he is remembered he is remembered for the horrific way he died more than anything else. :(

I also like the Shadow DN5 because it was a great looking car (I liked the giant air-box era in F1) and an American team (even though the F1 effort was run out of the UK). The Stars and Stripes looks good on it.

Agreed

Somwhere around here I have a docu-movie that was narrated by Stacy Keach, made during the '70's. I believe the movie opens with that accident video from Kyalami.

Lap of the Gods?

Seems like that's the name of it. Awesome in-car footage in that film. I need to see if I can find it somewhere because it's a great snippet of history from that era of F1.

Frankly, I didn't know anything about Pryce until Paul mentioned him, causing me to read the Wiki page on him. Sounds like he was enormously talented.

I was a fan of the Shadow Can-Am cars. Got a chance to look over one recently. Gotta love the old Can-Am cars.

///Mike

That really was a golden age of motor car racing. Think of all the innovations and innovators that drove CAN AM?

UOP shadow, Lola, Ferrari, BRM, McLaren, Chaparral, Porsche and more were all involved.

Then the personalities Mark Donahue, Jim Hall, Bruce McLaren, Denny Hulme and many,many more.

I have a book by Pete Lyons about CAN-AM, great photos and stories.

Gotta love the old Can-Am cars.

///Mike

The movie I was refering to...

was called "Champions Forever; The Quick and the Dead" I taped it back when Speed Channel was Speedvision and had cool stuff on besides 23 hrs a day of NASCRAP and Drag Race High.

Back